+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: All-American Muslim on TLC

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

All-American Muslim on TLC

All-American Muslim premieres on TLC on Sunday, November 13th. I am looking foward to watching this 8-part series, but will have to record it as my Sunday nights are already spoken for.

The families featured in the series share the same religion, but lead very distinct lives that often times challenge the Muslim stereotype. Among the handful of subjects profiled are Shadia and Suehaila, who are tight-knit sisters, but while Suehaila wears the traditional head scarf, is active in the Muslim community and prays five times a day, Shadia is outspoken, has piercings and tattoos and recently married an Irish Catholic who is converting to Islam. Also recently married, Nadar and Nawal are having their first baby and trying to find the balance between their traditional Muslim roots and American culture. Mike, Deputy Chief for the Wayne County Sheriff’s Dept., works tirelessly to educate the department about the Muslim religion in an effort to reduce discrimination and ignorance while his wife, an executive who works as a consultant to a major auto manufacturer, struggles to find the balance between work and raising a modern Muslim family. Throughout the series, viewers will see these families through some of life’s biggest events and challenges—from getting married and the birth of a first baby, to juggling busy careers while raising a family, to managing sibling dynamics and finding “Mr. or Ms. Right”
    TLC orders All-American Muslim reality show | Inside TV | EW.com

HuffPo has a video clip here:

Muslim Reality Show, 'All-American Muslim,' To Premiere On TLC (VIDEO)

Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

I'll be recording and watching later too. It looks like it will be very educational.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think we may be the only ones watching this, Debb. Part 2 of 8 airs tonight at 10 and I just took a nap so I won't miss it.
    Debb70 likes this.

Nope, I'll be watching also. Have recorded the episodes but just haven't had a chance to watch yet.
    I think I need to watch because I'll be brave enough here to admit that I don't have the most positive attitude about Muslims and I think that's probably because I know so little about them. What I do know is not good. So I'm anxious to watch this. I don't like feeling the way I do about a certain group of people.
    Although it's possible I may watch and still have negative feelings. Having heard about some of the traditions like fathers and brothers seriously injuring or killing a daughter for being sexual before marriage or with a non-Muslim really doesn't help my opinion. Nor does some of the things stated in the Koran.
    Don't want to offend anyone but just being honest here.

I realize that some people have a very negative image of Muslims. I have done some reading about it and want to learn more. I feel I need to fully understand what, if anything is so terrible about Islam. (I am a Christian and grew up Baptist.)

I have already learned quite a bit from watching the show. I do wonder why the lady with fertility issues, dosen't get an expert opinion from a doctor on her situation. It seems like there are some treatments that would be accepted by their faith according to the religious leader they talked to, but she didn't seem to want to explore them. She thinks God will make her pregnant if she is a better Muslim. What do I know? Perhaps she is right. LOL It's so sad that adoption is not allowed by them.

Honestly, I saw many of the same teachings by the Muslims that I have seen with the conservative Christians groups. I saw a show on the Amish this weekend and many of their rules about women's modesty are identical.

I missed this part. Please tell me the deal was with the football team. Was it a Muslim high school? I didn't understand how the Muslim rules were being enforced in a public high school. ??

FORT Fogey

I didn't see the show, but I saw the promo that indicated the football team would be practicing from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., due to Rahmadan. I couldn't figure that one out either. First, wouldn't you think even some Muslim parents would question teenagers working out at night--or even just for that long? A seven hour practice for high school athletes? Really? Why? And doing a seven hour practice at night, when they'd naturally be more tired, seems like it would ratchet up the possibility of injuries.

If they're a public school, I'm not sure that the state high school activity rules in most states would allow for that. I understand the importance of the religious holiday and why practice couldn't be held at the normal time if a significant portion of the team is Muslim, but the coach's solution didn't seem to make much sense to me, and I can't help but think some parents, regardless of religious affiliation, might feel the same way.

I think the coach was Muslim too. I think the time thing was due to the fact they could not eat or drink until sundown. I'm confused. Perhaps I'll catch on a rerun what the deal was.

I did some research. I'll give this link.

2nd episode of the TV show 'All-American Muslim' to air | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

It showed Fordsom High School in Dearborn, that has 95% of the football players are Muslim. It appears to be a public school. I looked at the school's website and the Sept. newsletter was written in English AND Arabic! I wish they would expain more about that school.
    Last edited by Debb70; 11-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.

FORT Fogey

I'm actually watching the episode right now, and the coach was very clear with the players that if their parents had any questions, he'd be happy to meet with them and that the principal and superintendent had given their okay. It also showed him talking to the parents of a Christian player, and he was very good about answering their questions and assuring them that there would be a trainer on site at practices, that everyone (including the Muslim players) would have access to water (I guess there must be some Ramadan provision for people who are under conditions that could cause dehydration more easily), and that their son was not required to follow the requirements of Ramadan, since he wasn't a Muslim. He also told them he totally understood their concerns, because if he was in their position, he'd want answers to those same questions. The parents were comfortable with the situation after he explained everything.

I still can't fathom why any high school extracurricular activity would require seven hour practices every day, however. Considering that's on top of a six hour school day, that's over half the day right there, and they have to eat and sleep sometime, not to mention doing homework or possibly being involved in other activities not related to school, such as a part-time job. I'm pretty sure--actually I'm positive--that if I had told my mother I would be having seven hour play rehearsals every night, she'd have told me that wasn't going to happen, because she'd have been concerned I was going to end up driving myself too hard with everything else I had to do too. Not that that has anything to do with the Ramadan issue, which I think the coach handled well. I just don't get why he'd think that consistently having seven hour practices would be what was best for a bunch of teenagers under any circumstances. There are concerns about Olympic athletes that young over-training too.
    Debb70 likes this.

I think the long practices like that are a summertime thing, when school isn't in session, and are pretty common for most school sports.

I haven't watch the episode, but that is interesting to think about how they work activities around Ramadan... I can't imagine how tough it would be to train and condition for a sport while fasting during the day!

FORT Fogey

Around here, they get worried about overly long summer practices, because of the number of high school--and professional players, for that matter--who've gone down with heat stroke. I guess that's one thing night practices would help prevent, as it would likely be at least somewhat cooler after the sun went down.

I just thought of something else. If they can't eat during the day, but can eat in the evening hours, how are the Muslim players eating? Do they have some weird dinner break at midnight or something like that?

Also, I thought Ramadan was in the fall, not the summer. Or is it a religious observance that can vary in its dates, like Lent and Easter on the Christian calendar?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast