+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 112
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: All-American Muslim on TLC

  1. #71
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    On the dog thing, I'm with Shadia. I like and have pets, but if your spouse is allergic, you're going to have to figure something out. You could say I love my dog more than you, too bad you can't breathe, medicate yourself, or you could act like someone who loves that person.

    On not wanting the dog at the new house but letting him stay at the old one and dealing with it for a bit.... Of course! It is a short period of time- maybe a few weeks before they moved to the new place? I don't know. Getting rid of the dog at the old place would not do anything since the dander and hair are everywhere, even if you clean and vacuum and whatnot. Wanting the new place to not get pet dirt in every nook and cranny to start off is a valid point in my opinion. I know it's hard, the dog is old, maybe they could have waited til the dog passed before moving, but on the other hand what if the dog lives a longer than expected time... Too bad Jeff's relatives couldn't have taken him in. I know he has parents- not sure about siblings or extended family. That would have been better than signs (bad move) and the sanctuary (good option, but no doubt expensive and space is limited- I wonder if being on TV helped them get a space).

  2. #72
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    970

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Another company pulls advertising from TLC

    In a letter of apology to customers, an executive at Kayak.com, the online travel site, explained the decision to stop advertising on the new reality show.

    "When we decided to give our money to TLC for this program, we deemed the show a worthy topic," Robert Birge, Kayak's chief marketing officer, wrote in the letter posted on the site. "When we received angry emails regarding our decision to advertise, I looked into the show more thoroughly."

    Birge continued:

    The first thing I discovered was that TLC was not upfront with us about the nature of this show. As I said, it's a worthy topic, but any reasonable person would know that this topic is a particular lightning rod. We believe TLC went out of their way to pick a fight on this, and they didn't let us know their intentions. That's not a business practice that generally gets repeat business from us. I also believe that it did this subject a grave disservice. Sadly, TLC is now enjoying the attention from this controversy.
    I would be interested to know how, exactly, TLC misrepresented the content of the show to the extent that Kayak believes it "mispresented their intentions."
    J_Abdo likes this.

  3. #73
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,858

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Quote Originally Posted by J_Abdo View Post
    On the dog thing, I'm with Shadia. I like and have pets, but if your spouse is allergic, you're going to have to figure something out. You could say I love my dog more than you, too bad you can't breathe, medicate yourself, or you could act like someone who loves that person.

    On not wanting the dog at the new house but letting him stay at the old one and dealing with it for a bit.... Of course! It is a short period of time- maybe a few weeks before they moved to the new place? I don't know. Getting rid of the dog at the old place would not do anything since the dander and hair are everywhere, even if you clean and vacuum and whatnot. Wanting the new place to not get pet dirt in every nook and cranny to start off is a valid point in my opinion. I know it's hard, the dog is old, maybe they could have waited til the dog passed before moving, but on the other hand what if the dog lives a longer than expected time... Too bad Jeff's relatives couldn't have taken him in. I know he has parents- not sure about siblings or extended family. That would have been better than signs (bad move) and the sanctuary (good option, but no doubt expensive and space is limited- I wonder if being on TV helped them get a space).

    I think the problem is that Shadia basically admitted that ultimately the main reason she wanted the dog gone was that she wasn't really a dog person. She mentioned the religious issues and the allergies first, probably because they seemed more acceptable, and then got down to the fact that she just didn't want a dog. Beyond that, if she having a dog was a big issue for her, and knew Jeff had an elderly dog he loved prior to the marriage (and she clearly did), she should have brought it up long before they got to the point of living together--and she and her sister shouldn't have been going around the neighborhood posting signs to get the dog a new home, as if it were entirely their decision (and that's a terrible way to find an old, loyal pet a home--you have no idea who might respond to such a sign or why). It's not just an issue of how she treated Wrigley. It's an issue of how she's treated Jeff, who has made a number of big life changes for her already.
    Debb70 likes this.

  4. #74
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    Another company pulls advertising from TLC


    I would be interested to know how, exactly, TLC misrepresented the content of the show to the extent that Kayak believes it "mispresented their intentions."
    My guess would be that they were told both sides of the argument would be discussed but they're only seeing one side. Or, they could be seeing the show as propaganda, and do not support it.

    They were at least nice and explained why they did it, mentioning the faith organization had no impact on the decision.

    It was also telling though when they mentioned the Florida group that got Lowe's to leave did bulk e-mails versus Kayak.com's comments - they got original letters of complaint apparently. Usually flood faxes/e-mails do NOTHING major like this.

  5. #75
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Of what argument? I'm sorry but I just don't understand. People are having their stereotypes challenged, and instead of reforming their views, they are claiming that the show is showing only one side of the "argument".
    J_Abdo likes this.

  6. #76
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Of what argument? I'm sorry but I just don't understand. People are having their stereotypes challenged, and instead of reforming their views, they are claiming that the show is showing only one side of the "argument".
    The argument of the general public thinking that all Muslims are terrorists versus the real life of most Muslims - peaceful and living what we'd perceive as normal lives. I'd expect any religion to have the detractors as well as the positives in the discussion so people can actually LEARN both sides of the story and make up their own minds.

    There is also the propaganda issue - converting people to Islam, that people are concerned about. Islam - like other religions, needs to persuade people to convert or follow that religion. If the daily worship of Islam is just shown, it can be seen as such.

    And finally tears - you imply that people should automatically reform their views watching this. There will ALWAYS be people who no matter what you do you can't reform the person or their stereotypes.

    Personally, I don't care what background you come from - religion, race, gender, etc. One of my favorite actors on TV is Alexander Siddig (Siddig El Fadil), best known for playing Dr. Julian Bashir on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," and he practices Islam. Even there - he's played the Archangel Michael, who visited Mary to announce she was going to give birth to Jesus. Islam believes in Jesus and the virgin birth, but he's seen as a messenger of God, not part of the trinity. I'm just observing this from what I see as the possible problem with the show itself and why people are protesting.

    Heck, I'd expect pulled ads and the like if it was an inside look at Christianity, Mormon, Nazarene, Church of Christ, Catholicism, Judaism, etc.

  7. #77
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    I don't magically expect people to reform their views. But what I do expect is that the people who are choosing to remain ignorant and resolved only to believe their stereotypes are dismissed as the ignorant minority they are, not catered to.

    TLC has several shows that show an inside view into a heavily Christian lifestyle - namely 19 Kids and Counting. The Duggars belong to what is essentially a Christian cult and no one is pulling funding from their show on the basis of propaganda or whatever.

    It just upsets me that the narrow-minded belief that one group of people is fundamentally bad is considered a legitimate "argument" for which both sides should be shown. I can fully understand the reasons that people are protesting, cognitively, but that does not make those reasons any less ignorant, hateful, and shameful.

  8. #78
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The argument of the general public thinking that all Muslims are terrorists versus the real life of most Muslims - peaceful and living what we'd perceive as normal lives. I'd expect any religion to have the detractors as well as the positives in the discussion so people can actually LEARN both sides of the story and make up their own minds.
    The both sides and TLC's misrepresenting thing I definitely don't get either. I mean on issues Holocaust denial and black people being the cause and source of all violence, we rightfully don't give "the other side" a voice. It's bigoted and or racist and factually incorrect. I see the "both sides" issue here with All-American Muslim in the same light as these two other issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Heck, I'd expect pulled ads and the like if it was an inside look at Christianity, Mormon, Nazarene, Church of Christ, Catholicism, Judaism, etc.
    You may be right about that, but I'd also disagree with any major (or small) corporation who pulled ads on these because it wasn't portraying any of these groups as evil enough or fitting a false stereotype.
    Last edited by J_Abdo; 12-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.

  9. #79
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Any thoughts on Nawal's possible post-partum depression?

    That period after having your first child is so intense. I felt so inadequate myself. I can really identify with her on that as well as the complete exhaustion in such a form as you have never known and the identity crisis issue as well. The feeding times at night were so lonely, but I have to say that when I started back to work, I would wake and hope my daughter would wake soon for a night feeding because I missed her so much and felt so guilty for missing so much of her babyhood--which caused me to relate to Mrs. Jaafar (working mom of 4 kids, one of which had his first day of preschool on the last episode).

  10. #80
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    I don't magically expect people to reform their views. But what I do expect is that the people who are choosing to remain ignorant and resolved only to believe their stereotypes are dismissed as the ignorant minority they are, not catered to.
    So, hypothetically, you'd say the same thing if this was done to another faith, including Christianity? Then again...

    TLC has several shows that show an inside view into a heavily Christian lifestyle - namely 19 Kids and Counting. The Duggars belong to what is essentially a Christian cult and no one is pulling funding from their show on the basis of propaganda or whatever.
    And this in bold is somehow different than some people's opinion about Islam that made them go and petition Lowe's? Though it is your opinion and I respect it - I see it in your eyes as just as hateful and ignorant.

    I've seen this show and there have only been two things I've noticed:

    1. Mrs. Duggar keeps having kids because she believes that it's God's will (which is a bit nonsense) and

    2. They teach family morals a bit more along the lines of Christianity.

    And just because no one is pulling funding doesn't mean that it cannot happen. There are for example Muslim groups who could pressure businesses in that show.

    The difference is that most Americans feel/know that the country was founded on Christian - yet general good moral - beliefs.

    It just upsets me that the narrow-minded belief that one group of people is fundamentally bad is considered a legitimate "argument" for which both sides should be shown. I can fully understand the reasons that people are protesting, cognitively, but that does not make those reasons any less ignorant, hateful, and shameful.
    I'd say this with any religion. The problem is that ironically those who disagree with Islam (I disagree with the beliefs, and as mentioned do not believe that all are terrorists), are seen in the same "ignorant, hateful and shameful" light as those who say that they in turn look at Islam.

    I find it MOST interesting that Lowes and Kayak.com are being lambasted because they felt that it was in the best interest of both sides to stay out of the argument and let people see them as the stores they are.

    I definitely understand Lowes decision based on the Home Depot incident - they did have a significant drop of business after the firing of the one guy for having "God Bless America" on his apron. There, yes, the issue of homosexuality was involved but MOST AMERICANS felt that the phrase "God Bless America" is so common in today's society that it's just said out of history, not necessarily belief. It's economic more than it is the show itself.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.