+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: All-American Muslim on TLC

Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

I really did feel for Jeff. Shadia seems some what immature and I don't think she was willing to make any concessions for Jeff. Too bad he didn't find that out until after the marriage.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I know Shadia has alot people upset with her over the dog. I guess her husband had the dog for 10 years and the dog is 16 years old. I did feel bad for him when he cried,and I am not a pet person because I do have allergies of my own. Apparently you can't pray if there is dog hair around.
    does that mean that for 10 years the husband has prayed with dog hair around him?
    does that mean his prayers don't count then?
    And isn't he Muslim as well as Shadia?
    I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really looking for answers about something I don't know much about or understand. On the surface, it seems awful if she wants a man to get rid of a 16 year old dog that he's had for 10 yrs, for the many reasons we all know. Plus, coming from a person who won't wear the head covering for TV, seems a little hypocritical.
    Poor dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    does that mean that for 10 years the husband has prayed with dog hair around him?
    does that mean his prayers don't count then?
    And isn't he Muslim as well as Shadia?
    I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really looking for answers about something I don't know much about or understand. On the surface, it seems awful if she wants a man to get rid of a 16 year old dog that he's had for 10 yrs, for the many reasons we all know. Plus, coming from a person who won't wear the head covering for TV, seems a little hypocritical.
    Poor dog.
    Her husband, Jeff converted just recently to the Muslim faith in order for them to marry. I am not sure about there past living arrangements or not. It does seem strange that they did not discuss these things before marriage. I do think most people don't think of what happens after the marriage ceremony so its plausible ,but stupid they did not have this discussion or any other discussions for that matter.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is ignorance to blame? I once had a landlady that told me that she learned in university in Romania that you should never sleep with a cat or dog. Their hair would go into your lungs while you were asleep and give you lung cancer. University?
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I didn't see the show, but I saw the promo that indicated the football team would be practicing from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., due to Rahmadan. ....
    Just found this site, so I apologize if I'm rehashing or something. I've not quite caught up with all the posts. I looked forward to this show and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I'm not a Muslim myself, but I know some, after 9/11 I really researched, wrote and talked to those I did and didn't know personally, and I"m prepared to fight for their rights as much as my own.

My response to Tilden's post #6 about Ramadan practices and the church and state issue...

About Ramadan (if you aren't aware of the main points already):
    Ramadan 2011: Dates, Fasting Rules, History

Muslims follow a lunar calendar, so it is always at a different time of year (I think about 10 days earlier each year?). This year, 2011, it was basically the entire month of August, so the kids would have been doing the pre-season summer practice for most of Ramadan, rather than attending class and then reporting back at night for practice. Also, the first week or so of school and first game fell during Ramadan, which would have been tough, but it wasn't a permanent or long period of time. There was a good discussion on the show actually about whether the fast contributed to the loss, if it matters, etc. Some said it did and some said it didn't contribute to the loss. Most said it's better to lose a football game having given it your all and remained faithful to God than to be more focused on winning that you'd sacrifice a tenet of your faith.

With the separation of church and state thing...Dearborn is majority Arab from what I understand, so it makes sense that you'd do things when the majority of students would/could participate. That would never happen where I live because there would only be a couple of Muslims at an entire school.

We are supposed to not have religion in school, yet there is always talk of Christmas in school, there would be allowances made or special scheduling for students if a school event was on Sunday for whatever reason if 95% of the group attended church. It's the same thing. And the coach had an open door policy for the few non-Muslim students involved and their parents to talk about concerns and feasibility (they absolutely didn't require non-Muslims to fast!). He wasn't dictatorial about it. He explained it as a safety issue so the 95% of players could do the fast as well as stay hydrated during practice. I think he has a point.
    tears.and.rain likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Around here, they get worried about overly long summer practices, because of the number of high school--and professional players, for that matter--who've gone down with heat stroke. I guess that's one thing night practices would help prevent, as it would likely be at least somewhat cooler after the sun went down.

I just thought of something else. If they can't eat during the day, but can eat in the evening hours, how are the Muslim players eating? Do they have some weird dinner break at midnight or something like that?

Also, I thought Ramadan was in the fall, not the summer. Or is it a religious observance that can vary in its dates, like Lent and Easter on the Christian calendar?

How do the players eat... During school the schedule might be rough.

In Muslim countries, there is a festive atmosphere and not much is open before dinner and people are visiting relatives and napping during the day. If they have to work, they usually get off early. They break the fast at sunset with a huge meal with everyone's favorite dishes and lots and lots of family, which could make for an 8 or 14 hour fast depending on where they live. There is a special day at the beginning and end of the fast and gifts given, but I'm not as familiar with this.

I couldn't find the site I read once that gave a great description of the atmosphere, smells, food, etc that happens at and after the iftar meal, but I've learned bits about Ramadan from a few recipe sites I consult when I make Middle Eastern food:

The Egyptian Kitchen
    http://www.dirtykitchensecrets.com
    anissa's blog » Blog Archive » ramadan sweets: qatayef
    Last edited by J_Abdo; 12-14-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: adding more

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    California Senator Threatens Boycott After Lowe's Pulls Ads From Muslim-American Reality Show | Fox News

I hope Lowes loses alot of business over the narrow minded view they have.

Daily Show of course says it quite well--
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...n---a-new-lowe

I wrote a post about this on my blog not long ago if you want to read (I won't copy/paste because of the rule I read for this site that I'm not clear on...):
    Not Another Political Blog: NC based Lowes pulls funding from show All-American Muslim

I can post my letter to Lowe's if anyone's interested. It's not on my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Abdo View Post
    I'm confused...were you joking about saying that the Daily Show said it quite well? I watched from your link and if it's meant totally as a comedy, I can see why some would like it. But they totally took the incident and changed it completely. Who said "all muslims are terrorists?" Certainly not Lowe's.
    I'm not a loyal Lowe customer...we don't even have one near us and I've never been to one but I think everyone in America has the right to their opinion, whether we agree or not. And everyone has the right to not shop there if they disagree.
    I consider Muslims to be just like everybody else, there's good people and there are bad people and we've all seen both. Anyone who says they are all bad or all good is just plain ignorant.

FORT Fogey

It was meant as comedy. It's part of a bit that's been running from when the first complain came out - and if you watch the original, it makes much more sense. It started with Jon Stewart (rightfully, in my opinion) making fun of the Florida Family Association which lodged the original complaints against the show on the basis of the fact that it did not show terrorists or anti-American activities and was therefore furthering the perception that Muslims aren't all bad. Literally, I kid you not, those were the words the spokesperson used in the interview. This was just a continuation of that. Hope that helps it make a little more sense!

Lowe's certainly did not put out the message that Muslims are terrorists but by pulling their advertising from the show based off of the message from the Florida Family Association (I may have the exact name of the Christian group wrong, forgive me), they undoubtedly are either giving in to the message that all Muslims are terrorists or that it's okay to believe that stereotype. So it's not quite as simple as saying "you don't have to shop there." It's indicative of the fact that in our country it has become socially acceptable to judge and stereotype one particular religion as evil or ill-intentioned. I think Al-Qaeda is terrifying. I think the Westboro Baptist Church is also terrifying. So, when you say that anyone who believes all Muslims are bad or all Muslims are good is just plain ignorant, well, Lowe's is caving to and supporting the opinion that all Muslims are bad. Doesn't that further and support the ignorance?

It is exactly the same as if a group complained about a company's advertising during a show about an African American family, with the reasoning that the family was portrayed as hardworking, well-spoken, and just like white families, and then the company caved to the obviously bigoted complaint. The level of outrage over that would not be questioned.

And, by the way, I don't believe that anyone has a right to judge or stereotype an entire group of people based on race, religion, ethnicity, economic status, sexual orientation, or anything else.
    Last edited by tears.and.rain; 12-15-2011 at 05:17 AM.
    Rattus, KatesMom and J_Abdo like this.

FORT Newbie

I'm confused...were you joking about saying that the Daily Show said it quite well? I watched from your link and if it's meant totally as a comedy, I can see why some would like it. But they totally took the incident and changed it completely. Who said "all muslims are terrorists?" Certainly not Lowe's.
    I'm not a loyal Lowe customer...we don't even have one near us and I've never been to one but I think everyone in America has the right to their opinion, whether we agree or not. And everyone has the right to not shop there if they disagree.
    I consider Muslims to be just like everybody else, there's good people and there are bad people and we've all seen both. Anyone who says they are all bad or all good is just plain ignorant.

Your last sentence there- that was exactly the point. Sorry about my not giving any background on the show. It is a news satire type of thing- one of my favorite shows though I don't have as much time to watch it as I'd like. Jon Stewart brings an element of the legitimate news to the show as well though (I was a fan pre-Stewart too). He has guests like Congressmen, Presidents, all kinds of politicians and people in the news- but he's famous for the satire and making fun of the news.

When you say no one's saying all Muslims are terrorists...if you look at the Florida Family Association's complaint and campaign against All-American Muslim, that's kind of what they are saying.

Part of their statement is here: Florida Family Association shuts down website, claims it was hacked - St. Petersburg Times
    "The Florida Family Association's email alerts denounce the program as "propaganda" that "hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties"; the show focuses on five Muslim families in Dearborn, Mich."

They wanted Lowe's to pull the ads because the show didn't depict their view of Muslims and Islam- a stereotype of a minority of extremists.

I'm all for everyone having their opinion also, Dragonlady. FFA, write away, but for Lowe's to respond in such a hasty way and pull ads due to dozens of emails (see USA Today link), was the wrong response and sends a very un-American message if you will. I sent them a letter voicing my opinion.
    Column: In defense of 'All-American Muslim'

+ Reply to Thread