+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: All-American Muslim on TLC

Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

As far as the long football practice it is a common thing. My nephew plays high school football and they practice on holiday also. So its no unusual.

I am not any more afraid of muslims than any other group race or creed of people. No group is free of crazy people completely. I enjoy this show for many reasons.It allows people to see that Minority groups are no different than anyone else. As an African American female it puzzles me that in 2011 soon to be 2012 people really think such things about others.

I had someone invited to my family home for thanksgiving saying that they did not expect my family to do some of the same things her family does.smh.
    Kocky_Kamikaze and J_Abdo like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I watched this for the first time tonight. Meant to watch it from the beginning, but forgot about it.

I have a particular interest in this show because I lived most of my 43 years living in suburbs just a couple miles from Dearborn. I'm well familiar with the Dearborn area. I've lived my life being in Dearborn for one reason or another - I worked in Dearborn for 7 years. I had friends living there whose houses I visited. I shopped in Dearborn very, very frequently. So I am very familiar with the city.

I am NOT, however, very familiar with the Muslim population. Sure, I grew up seeing them constantly. But I never had particular chance to interact with them, or to become familiar with their lifestyles.

I have never had a negative experience with area Muslims. Except for one very, very ugly time, through my husband.

My husband worked for a small manufacturing company whose shop was located quite strangely in an area that was actually mostly residential. The majority of the people you could see living in and around the houses were Muslim. This never had reason to give me concern.

Until 9/11. My husband was at work that day. I woke up just before the plane hit the 2nd tower. As I turned on the TV and watched what was going on, my first thought was, "Is my husband safe? What's going on in Dearborn?" So I called him.

My memory is a bit shaky. I think they already knew what was going on. I recall asking him if they were going to be sent home. I don't remember anything else about the phone conversation. But he did end up coming home early.

When he got home, he was very shaken up. As he had driven through the neighborhoods, what he saw scared him. He saw people on their front lawns - happy, excited, and celebratory.

It was both scary, and disappointing.

After 9/11, Muslim leaders came out of the woodwork to say how much they didn't agree with the attacks. And how the vast majority of Muslims in America did NOT approve of it, how it wasn't "their way," etc.

That's not what my husband saw in Dearborn that day.

I have no direct reason to dislike Muslims. I have still not had any kind of direct interaction with anyone of Muslim descent or religion. The closest I could come would be the people who own and work at one of our favorite restaurants, a Middle Eastern one right in the heart of Dearborn. We have never had a negative experience there, that's for sure.

The neighborhood where my husband's shop was located was the type of neighborhood we're not going to see on this show. It was probably what would be considered lower-middle class. Not quite poor. The people featured on this show are obviously high-middle to upper class based on the homes they live in and the cars they drive. I don't know if that makes a difference in mindset, but it's something to consider.

I wanted to watch this show for several reasons. Admittedly, part of me is curious to see things and places I am familiar with in the general Dearborn area.

But part of me really does wish an education of sorts into the lives of Dearborn Muslims. I feel we're not being given a really full look at American Muslim life, because it's so obviously focusing on moneyed people. We're not seeing the homes and lives of "Blue collar" Muslims. This worries me a bit.

These are days of an extremely depressed Michigan economy. The Dearborn area has at its heart the auto industry. When the auto industry is in trouble, just about every business in that area suffers along with it. We all know what's been going on with the auto industry in the past few years. I can't speak to Dearborn residents. But the suburbs to the south and east of Dearborn - known as Downriver - are populated mostly with blue collar workers, many of whom depend in some way, even peripherally, on a thriving auto industry. Downriver has become an area of severely depressed conditions. Extremely high unemployment, countless foreclosures. People leaving the area in droves. Dearborn is generally known to be a more "white collar" city, one of those that when you talk about the more affluent cities in your area is the first you think of. It's got it's "bad" areas, so I know it's not all Ford Motor executives and engineers. I'm sure a part of the population has taken a bad hit due to the failing economy just like Downriver and other areas.

But it worries me that they're focusing on people who I just KNOW some disgruntled people are going to see as "rich f*^#ing A-Rabs who ain't got no right to be coming into OUR country and taking OUR f*^(*ing jobs, just to live in their big f*^(@ing houses and send money home to their f*@^ing relatives in the f*!@^ing Middle East." I know this because I know these kinds of people.

I really think they should have gotten a more varied group to exhibit (let's face it, they're on display, we all know how reality shows work by now). I know one of them is a cop, right? I haven't seen him featured yet, as I said, I've only seen the most recent episode. The one guy is a football coach while his wife does work as a part-time secretary? I don't know what high school football coaches make, but from what I've heard, Fordson is a pretty privileged school. Maybe they make more than I'd have thought.

I am not really that familiar with all the people yet. But my initial impression was, "these people have incomes waaaay above the average person-on-the-street in the towns surrounding Dearborn, and I don't think this is going to do them any favors if they're trying to achieve some kind of level of acceptance from non-Muslim Americans via this show."

I will continue to watch and be educated. I hope others might, too. 9/11 response notwithstanding, I'm still open-minded and willing to see Muslims as just like my former Downriver neighbors - just living life as best as they can in every way.

Incidentally, I think her name was Samara? I am 90% sure she works in one of my former doctor's office. I might have even interacted with her, if she's the person I'm thinking of. So yeah, I'm definitely intrigued to see more familiar places, things and even people.
    Last edited by Fierce Critter; 11-28-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Too late for me to edit my post apparently.

I came back to clarify the paragraph about me wondering if my husband was safe in Dearborn on 9/11 by adding the following:

(Note: I was actually afraid that Dearborn Muslims would be under attack by non-Muslims taking things out on them, NOT that Muslims would be, in some way, acting aggressively or otherwise being themselves threatening. I was afraid, with my husband's shop being in the middle of a seemingly Muslim neighborhood, that they might be in the middle of fallout.)

California Senator Threatens Boycott After Lowe's Pulls Ads From Muslim-American Reality Show | Fox News

I hope Lowes loses alot of business over the narrow minded view they have.
    AmyKay, Poppy Fields and J_Abdo like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm not sure what to think. Why doesn't Lowe's have the "right" to make their own decision about what they perceive to be something they don't want to be a part of? Who's rights are more important?
    I'm not saying I'm agreeing with Lowe's nor am I saying that I'm on the American-Muslim's side. But I thought, in America, we all had the right to say what we believe or don't believe. Somehow, in today's PC driven world, some people have lost the right to Freedom of speech.
    They didn't say they hated Muslims. They just decided didn't want to advertise on that program.
    People in America should have the right to "say" what they want to say. Legally, they can't refuse service to a particular religious group because of their religion. But they didn't do that.
    Rights should apply to all and everyone has the right to agree or disagree with what they say. Otherwise, we become a country that dictates what we should or shouldn't say and I don't think any of us want that. We have the option of not shopping or using the services of people we don't agree with. But we shouldn't have the option of telling people or businesses what they can or can't say or do.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 12-12-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    Florimel and maude~flanders like this.

FORT Fogey

I think some of us want to live in a country that speaks out against blatant racism. I know I do.

I went to a very prominent women's college. A lot of the women there were Muslim, and you know what? It didn't make a difference. Most of them were lovely, some were less so, just like all races and all religions.
    J_Abdo likes this.

I've seen the show and it's OK, but not great.

That said, I'd like to give my opinion on Lowe's decision.

They are free to choose to pull an ad for whatever reason they want to. This case, they say that it's because they don't want to get caught in the middle of a political battle of sorts, and I can say that's fair game.

Reason? - Home Depot is currently being boycotted by Christian organizations because they freely allow homosexuals to decorate their aprons with rainbows and other items, but refuse to allow someone to have a "God Bless America" button on theirs. In short - if you're fair to one you have to be fair to all. Unfortunately, as in this case with Lowe's, a minority (as far as the area, not the populace) wants it to be fair only to them.

Methinks too that Lowe's is their chief sponsor, and if they go, they'll have to cancel the program. Normally when companies pull out like this, shows won't raise such a big stink.

I want to note, I'm for freedom of religion, but I'm also for the freedom of economy and the right to choose whom someone should advertise and the right to PULL the advertising for whatever reason they choose - and yes, I agree on any case: Religion, Sexual preference, Politics, the like.

This is still a free country, and senators like the Democrat one in California here are trying to change that when you try to FORCE someone to reinstate their business with a show even if they choose to pull it.

You have to be fair in order to have respect - you can't demand it yet force people to kowtow to your beliefs only and yell at them when they simply disagree.

FORT Fogey

Sure Lowe's has the right to pull their advertising, but Americans also have the right to protest things they think are wrong. Lowe's should have to deal with that.

The Home Depot example is interesting, and of course, terribly unfair to Christians. It is, however, a very different case in which one minority is being allowed things that another group is not. Lowe's is pulling advertising from the show because a Christian group said that the show was brainwashing children who watched it into ignoring the clear evil agenda of the Muslim religion. How are they the same thing?

I will boycott Lowe's just as I would have boycotted segregated public institutions in the 1960s. I'm not calling for the shutting down of Lowe's or anything like that - they have a right to advertise wherever they want. But I will not support a company that is clearly acting upon racism. Whether the company itself is racist or they are bowing to the views of a racist group of activists, it doesn't matter, the effect is the same.
    candor, Rattus and MsDiva2007 like this.

tears.and.rain's comments in quotes:

Sure Lowe's has the right to pull their advertising, but Americans also have the right to protest things they think are wrong. Lowe's should have to deal with that.
    Not saying that - I'm saying that it's to be fair to EVERYONE. In a way, this group is saying that the Family Values group cannot make a protest to Lowe's to remove the ads.

Additionally, as mentioned, this congressman is wanting to FORCE the business to reinstate their ads for the show. That's flat out wrong.

Again - Protesting is fine, FORCING a group to cater to a whim of ANY group is wrong. And this is what's happening withe the Congressmen and the Muslim organization.

The Home Depot example is interesting, and of course, terribly unfair to Christians. It is, however, a very different case in which one minority is being allowed things that another group is not. Lowe's is pulling advertising from the show because a Christian group said that the show was brainwashing children who watched it into ignoring the clear evil agenda of the Muslim religion. How are they the same thing?
    Because in both cases - it's seen as discrimination on the basis of their religious beliefs.

Apparently though if it's the minority, they should get whatever they demand.

You have to be fair to all based on Democrat's and other's comments - so why be hypocrites here?

I will boycott Lowe's just as I would have boycotted segregated public institutions in the 1960s. I'm not calling for the shutting down of Lowe's or anything like that - they have a right to advertise wherever they want. But I will not support a company that is clearly acting upon racism. Whether the company itself is racist or they are bowing to the views of a racist group of activists, it doesn't matter, the effect is the same.
    For starters, what is going on is not racism. Racism is based on race - the term you're wanting to use is religious persecution.

Sadly, too many people mix the two, and frankly they look worse for making the claims.

And, quite honestly, I see a huge increase coming in business. Too many people are tired of being forced to accept religions - be it Islam, Christianity, Judaism - or even the lack of it in Atheism.

Look - here's the truth: Lowe's is big enough that if they didn't feel that this group's comments had any value, then they'd just blown them off. This goes true too if the network is paying them decent money/coverage for advertising.

Apparently though, they saw a bigger picture and who would probably boycott the store more and made a decision.

They may get some minor loss in business, but most people don't care enough to give a damn one way or another. Same goes with "HD" - I know people who are Christians and still shop there because the prices are good or they have items Lowe's doesn't.

But, by trying to FORCE a business to reinstate ads on a show they chose to stay neutral to long term (which is being missed), is wrong.

And that's the part that's being overlooked - the senator is considering FORCING Lowe's to advertise for the group. Freedom of speech? - That's not it.
    maude~flanders likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The idea that this Senator could be successful in his attempt to legislate the reinistatement of TV ads is absurd. Laughable even.

I don't see Lowe's actions as religious persecution. They are not saying that Islam is to be reviled. Only some of its followers. And let's face it: that can be said of every religion, present and past. The fact that they have decided not to market themselves on All-American Muslim is a marketing choice. They probably have more vocal "Christians" in their customer base than Muslims. The fact that Islam is the fastest growing religion in America means that this kind of marketing polidy is bound to change in the future.

The fact that some Christians seem to believe that all Muslims are evil speaks to their obvious ignorance and prejudice.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread