+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: All-American Muslim on TLC

Re: All-American Muslim on TLC

I am sure that there are many Muslims who aren't militant and are no threat to anyone in the way that they practice their religion. I have no doubt there are many who practice the religion peacefully and allow their families to live as they wish without harm, but this is not true of all Muslims. And yes there have been quite a few "honor killings" in the United States. I think it is seen as politically incorrect to report much on these.

I do find as I have studied the religion after 9/11 and read much of the Koran for myself, as well as listened to explanations of passages by Muslims, that there are some troubling things about the religion and the way it is often practiced. They have a clear way of dealing with conflicting passages of the Koran. Whatever is said the latest in the Prophet's writings takes precedence. So often we are shown passages to prove they are "x, y or z" and yet that passage is later nullified in their view by the Prophet contradicting or basically nullifying it.

Islam, taken from the Koran, is as much a system for governing and for expanding the region of governing as it is a religion. The Koran is quite militant.

Non-Muslims are not of the same worth to them as Muslims. Muslims who convert to another religion are even worse and often put to death, even currently under the laws in many Muslim countries. Muslims are, for instance, allowed to lie, even expected to lie, to non Muslims in furtherance of their religion. They are even allowed by the Koran to live a lie to avoid suspicion, as did the terrorists of 9/11, to further their religion, to appear to be non threatening.

Non Muslims are counted as "less than" under sharia law, the law of the Koran. To kill a non Muslim is not of the same weight as to kill a Muslim. A non Muslims testimony is of less weight than that of a Muslim, half I think though I don't remember the exact percentage.

I could go on, but I just wanted to say, having put effort into understanding Islam after 9/11, not wanting to pre-judge or misunderstand anyone, what I have found troubles me.

I don't find the Muslims as presented here to be anything I would fear. Probably these people are living life peacefully and don't wish us harm, as I'm sure is true of many Muslims in our country. I know though that what we see and what and how they truly believe MAY be two different things. I also know about political correctness, editing, etc so I take it all with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 11-25-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    First, let me preface this post that when I say "you" I don't mean you-Kocky_Kamikaze...just "you" in a general way.
    I totally understand that Muslims are just like everyone else, as you stated, as far as living a normal life, re working/school/eating, etc and I don't consider that "boring."
    That's just living.

I have to disagree with that viewpoint. It's very possible, in fact, I'm pretty sure that "honor killing" has happened here and, I know, for a fact that it's happened many times in England. ( I often read Mail Online) We haven't seen any sleeper cells yet (that I know of and I don't think it's always something that we will be privvy to know about. I think a lot is censored for "our own sake") but we've certainly seen individual radical thinking Muslims who have tried to cause harm in the name of their religion.

Yes, many religions and many cults (am not implying they are the same) do have dress codes, particularly for women. I object to a lot of those also, for the reasons given but I also respect everyone's choice. From what I've seen on the show, it's possible for a women to wear a hijab with regular Westernized clothing. What if she wore a short, tight dress with the hijab? How would that keep her from being alluring to the opposite sex?

The fact is that there are wonderful people and evil people in all walks of life but we develop our opinions based on what actions we have seen in others' behavior. Call it profiling, if you will, but I call it common sense and instinct. Even animals avoid danger with experience and instinct.

I have to agree with Indifferent One in many ways. Muslims in America (and England where there is a huge population) are very remiss in stating publically any objections or to decry the evil doings of radical religious Muslims. I think it would aid their desire of having positive reactions from others, who are not familar to their ways.
    America has always welcomed others from different countries but we want them to "be on our side" when they're here, which is just human nature.

Please understand that I'm not arguing with your viewpoint but questioning and remarking on the issues that many people have about Muslims. This is why I'm watching the show. I want to be educated with as much knowledge as possible to form opinions.

And, Imperfect One, I respect your opinion and feel you should be able to say what you think and feel, even if others feel differently. We should be able to state freely here in this forum.
    Yes, I know you didn't mean me personally when you said "you". I gotcha.

I'm not on here to argue either. As I've posted earlier to somone's post, I commended that person for coming out with his/her viewpoint on Muslims and wanted to be educated on Muslims.

I really haven't seen a woman wearing a hijab also wearing a sexy clothing. Just because I haven't seen that personally doesn't mean it wouldn't happen but, it's would be extremely rare. I would that as an individual situation and be curious as to why she would put that together. My first thought would be that that woman is not truly Muslim and she's mocking Muslim women and the religion. To me it would be as if a nun were to wear drag queen makeup and wearing platform heels.

I wouldn't call it simply profiling or common sense or instinct. I'd call it going with what you know of a certain group of people. The reason why I wouldn't call it profiling, common sense and/or instinct is because I wouldn't have my guard up around Muslims or around other people of different cultures and religions because I've been around people of practically all walks of life. When I first meet someone of a different background or beliefs that I'm not familiar with I want to learn more about that person and their background, respectful not to delve into anything personal. Thanks to my military brat background and my natural curiousity and need to reach out and learn of others, I don't like to insulate myself. I'm not saying that you personally or anyone else on the forum do or do not. Mind you, this is nothing against you, these are my opinions and attitudes on how I approach things.

Actually, there have been Muslims who have spoken against violence. That's not always going to be aired on the news.

As far as being on our side, my son is friends with a Muslim who is in the US Army. He's looking to 20 years and is extremely patriotic. He gets asked all the time from non-Muslims about does it feel to fight in the Middle East. He has established that he's not really conflicted. He says he took an unwavering oath to protect our country against enemies near and far. As far as I'm concerned, he's beyond reproach in his American loyalty. Same goes for my other Middle Eastern friends and acquaintences.

I wish the show didn't just focus on Middle Eastern Muslims. I wish other nationalities were included as well. That would also be quite educational.
    J_Abdo likes this.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I am sure that there are many Muslims who aren't militant and are no threat to anyone in the way that they practice their religion. I have no doubt there are many who practice the religion peacefully and allow their families to live as they wish without harm, but this is not true of all Muslims. And yes there have been quite a few "honor killings" in the United States. I think it is seen as politically incorrect to report much on these.

I do find as I have studied the religion after 9/11 and read much of the Koran for myself, as well as listened to explanations of passages by Muslims, that there are some troubling things about the religion and the way it is often practiced. They have a clear way of dealing with conflicting passages of the Koran. Whatever is said the latest in the Prophet's writings takes precedence. So often we are shown passages to prove they are "x, y or z" and yet that passage is later nullified in their view by the Prophet contradicting or basically nullifying it.

Islam, taken from the Koran, is as much a system for governing and for expanding the region of governing as it is a religion. The Koran is quite militant.

Non-Muslims are not of the same worth to them as Muslims. Muslims who convert to another religion are even worse and often put to death, even currently under the laws in many Muslim countries. Muslims are, for instance, allowed to lie, even expected to lie, to non Muslims in furtherance of their religion. They are even allowed by the Koran to live a lie to avoid suspicion, as did the terrorists of 9/11, to further their religion, to appear to be non threatening.

Non Muslims are counted as "less than" under sharia law, the law of the Koran. To kill a non Muslim is not of the same weight as to kill a Muslim. A non Muslims testimony is of less weight than that of a Muslim, half I think though I don't remember the exact percentage.

I could go on, but I just wanted to say, having put effort into understanding Islam after 9/11, not wanting to pre-judge or misunderstand anyone, what I have found troubles me.

I don't find the Muslims as presented here to be anything I would fear. Probably these people are living life peacefully and don't wish us harm, as I'm sure is true of many Muslims in our country. I know though that what we see and what and how they truly believe MAY be two different things. I also know about political correctness, editing, etc so I take it all with a grain of salt.
    Hmmm.... I haven't run into the issues that you have discussed. Have you also spoken to Muslims during your studies? What did they have to say about this?
    J_Abdo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Perhaps I am naive, but I don't fear that Muslims, who are not extremist, will turn against our country. I guess that is a possiblity, but, that is why our founders came here; to find freedom from religious persecution.

I am as afraid of far right extremists who profess to be All American Christian as I am anyone. Terrible things can be done in the name of religion. There are Baptists churches that you can attend across this country, expecially in the south, who will teach that our President is evil and that he wants to destroy our country. They teach this based on their religious convictions. That scares me. Are they dangerous?
    I think that anyone or any group that perverts religion to meet their own selfish political agenda is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    I wish the show didn't just focus on Middle Eastern Muslims. I wish other nationalities were included as well. That would also be quite educational.
    I'd like to see something like that, too.
    As one who's more "insulated" like you mentioned, I don't interact a lot w/ Muslims. We're friends with a family who came as refugees from Bosnia (during the 90's conflict w/ Serbs) - he's Muslim and she's Catholic - and I get the impression from him that Bosnian Muslims as a whole are, or at least were, quite moderate. Not to say that those featured in this series aren't moderate as well, but I agree that it would be more interesting to include other nationalities.
    remember to play

FORT Fogey

I really haven't seen a woman wearing a hijab also wearing a sexy clothing. Just because I haven't seen that personally doesn't mean it wouldn't happen but, it's would be extremely rare. I would that as an individual situation and be curious as to why she would put that together. My first thought would be that that woman is not truly Muslim and she's mocking Muslim women and the religion. To me it would be as if a nun were to wear drag queen makeup and wearing platform heels.
    When we visited our son during the time he attended the U. of Minnesota from 2006-2008, it was not unusual to see African girls wearing a hijab with tight jeans, form-fitting tops and heels. The first time I saw a group of these girls walking together, I thought it was quite bizarre, but our son assured us it was a common sight and that the girls were Muslim. The U. of Minnesota has a high percentage of international students. Some Muslim students wore both a hijab and an abaya, and others wore only the hijab with western clothing. I don't think either way of dressing "proved" whether or not the woman was truly Muslim, but perhaps that some were more conservative than others.

I'm not sure the Muslims on this show are representative of all Muslims in America, any more than any other reality show family represents typical America. I don't assume I know enough about them, based on what I've seen, to believe whether or not they could be capable of extremism or extremist sympathies. If I've learned anything else in the last 20 years, it's that home-grown terrorism comes in all colors and religions.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    I'm not sure the Muslims on this show are representative of all Muslims in America, any more than any other reality show family represents typical America.
    Are you saying some of these Reality Shows are scripted??!! Oh, no! Surely that can't be true!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Are you saying some of these Reality Shows are scripted??!! Oh, no! Surely that can't be true!!??
    Quite honestly I'm waiting for the big petty arguements and "clearing the air" during the most inappropriate times as Housewives love to do!

Who is going to get the new home built by TLC?
    There's no place like home!

I realized tonight that I'm just being silly, thinking I could learn something about Muslims on this show.

I forgot, like every other "reality" show, I'll only learn what TLC, TPTB or whoever/whatever wants us to know. I'm sure they'll all be relatively nice people, "just like you and me, only dressed differently."

Just like the really rich women that are considered Real Housewives, although I've yet to meet a "real housewife" on any of those shows.
    So, to me, the show's just not that interesting to want to watch anymore.
    Kocky_Kamikaze and Duckyface like this.

+ Reply to Thread