+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing

Extreme Couponing

I looked back 5 pages and did not see this. If it is there please delete.

I am fascinated by this and have not quite figured out how they make it all work. Any experts?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Extreme Couponning.

I've caught snippets from time to time. Some of those folks look like they're going to end up on "Hoarders" before long. Really! How many bottles of shampoo do you need on shelves at your house?

FORT Fogey

I've only seen promos for the show, but I don't see how they manage to do some of the things they do. One woman completely cleaned out a shelf of one product, much to the disgust of another customer who came by moments later and couldn't find even a single container of the product. Her response in the clip was to say that she's a shelf clearer--and that if someone else wants what she wants, they better get to the store before she does.

Here's what I don't understand: where I live, stores generally limit how many sale products you can get (e.g. "Limit four please"). I assume the reason for the limits is two-fold: it keeps one or two people from grabbing all the sale items and leaving other customers disappointed and less willing to come back for the next sale, and it keeps the store from losing too much money on a sale item, since no one can buy the product in bulk and thus cost the store more than could be reasonably expected. Most coupons I've seen in the national newspaper ads are similar in that you can only use them on one product. I can't imagine a grocery store that had to deal with any of these extreme coupon fanatics not quickly establishing a policy of how many coupons one can use for a particular product or on a single trip through the checkout line, just to discourage the practice. I also can't imagine that the people behind them in line are terribly thrilled at waiting while their multiple coupons are tallied and their discounts determined.

I'm sure the savings are terrific for the individual with the coupons, but in the long run, it's not especially fair and not really what coupons were intended to do--and as has already been mentioned, unless you're the Duggars, how many products do you really need to buy in bulk? Look, I love a good sale find as much, if not more, than most people, but this kind of bargain hunting on a regular basis strikes me as excessive.

Not to mention stories of people stealing the coupon out of newspapers. Instead of buying them all, for instance, they go to a machine, put the money in for one and then take the coupon/ads out of ALL of them. And other such stories. Sad. It is like the adults who grab all the hard-to-find toys and clean the shelves in order to sell them on ebay and such. Greed is not pretty.

Our grocery store has begun to limit how many coupons you can use on one item. This is because of the extreme couponing. People can abuse so much and make it harder on the rest.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

One of the local colleges here has a book sale every spring, which helps raise money for new library acquisitions and improvements. It's quite large and well-supported, and they deliberately price things reasonably, so their students can pick up books, DVDs, CDs etc. A few years ago, they closed the sale to the public for the first four hours of the two day sale, because people from off-campus were arriving as soon as it opened with huge plastic tubs and just sweeping the books into them, so they could resell them on e-bay or at used book stores and turn a profit. Now, granted, the library made the same amount of money from them that they made from students and others on-campus and off-campus who might wish to buy books they really wanted, as opposed to books they felt they could market elsewhere. But that really wasn't the point. The idea was to raise money AND make books etc. available to those on and off campus who really wanted them and would be pleased to have them but might not be able to afford them at regular price.

It's kind of the same thing--they had to make a change to prevent the greedy from making it impossible for anyone else to get a deal. It worked too, by the way. Once the in-bulk buyers realized they weren't getting first choice and were going to be allowed in only after it was already too crowded to do their table sweeping without being objected to by the other shoppers, they stopped coming (and the sale continues to make plenty of money without them).

Oh, and many of the books that don't sell are shipped to villages and towns in developing countries that are trying to start their own libraries, so that people can have free access to books even after they leave school, so the book sweepers were doing sort of a double disservice.

There's been a lot of backlash from stores in response to these kinds of couponers. I'm just an average couponer. I will only buy the products that I need for the most part. I may stock up on stuff like razors if they have coupons but when I say stock up I mean maybe buying one box of them a week for 3 weeks (my parents get 3 papers and those are the coupons I use). We will occasionally pair them up with in-store coupons... occasionally but not all the time. We typically shave 10% off our total bill.

I would never do what these folks do. It just seems so wasteful at times and rude. I don't need to buy a shelf out of toothpaste when I need a tube and a tube will last me a good long while and when I need another tube I will have another coupon. It's not like they are going to stop making toothpaste or toothpaste coupons.

Our grocery store here doesn't do a lot of instore coupons and really what they do instore ones on are mostly fresh meats and fruits and veggies. Nothing that would have a manufacturers coupon and they do have a limit on how many you can buy even with that.

I don't know. I just feel people need to stop doing stuff like this in excess and screwing it up for the rest of us who just want to genuinely save a reasonable amount of money. I'm not tehre to hoard or stock up. Just trying to save a buck here and there.

I know. I would like to be able to buy just what I need for the week but would like to get them for 5-10 bucks. NOt being greedy but benefitting from coupons. I just haven't mastered it tho. I am missing a step somewhere. I don't want a stock pile, would just like to have money to actually fill up my gas tank and not break the bank.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I've heard of the backlash related to this show. I did watch a few episodes out of curiousity but I think there's a thing as being a little obessed and too much of a tight wad. I almost feel like this is as bad as an addiction or being a hoarder. Unfortuantely, they will end up ruining it for the people who don't abuse the coupons and who may really need to save whatever coupons can save them. I can understand on buying things you need, but I do agree these people seem to buy for the sake of buying so they can brag about saving. Hopefully when coupons get cut off they can make good on their 700 boxes of razors and 1400 bottles of mustard.

I've caught snippets from time to time. Some of those folks look like they're going to end up on "Hoarders" before long. Really! How many bottles of shampoo do you need on shelves at your house?
    Either hoarders or they believe the end of the world is coming, so they're preparing.
    AZChristian likes this.

Re: Extreme Couponing

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01 View Post
    I know. I would like to be able to buy just what I need for the week but would like to get them for 5-10 bucks. NOt being greedy but benefitting from coupons. I just haven't mastered it tho. I am missing a step somewhere. I don't want a stock pile, would just like to have money to actually fill up my gas tank and not break the bank.
    I've watched a few times, but I feel a lot like you - missing a step somewhere. Maybe a good part of it is location? I think some grocery stores offer discounts on your gas with their shopper card... that might help if you live near one.

My sister is really good at saving w/ coupons and keeping up w/ sale cycles; she targets exactly what her family needs, and "stockpiled" on certain items in anticipation of being off on maternity leave. But she lives within easy driving distance of enough stores to take advantage of their offers and hit them all at the right time. It definitely takes time to strategize.

On this show, I think I've seen one guy who was shopping to make military care packages. I think there might be others who shop and donate it all to a shelter. Now that's just smart. But I do think the ones building additions to house their stockpiles are more horder-like and sad... but somehow I just don't feel as bad for them as I do for those who are featured on Hoarders.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast