+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing

Re: Extreme Couponing

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Typical situation at our store (near the retirement community in which I live):
    • Customer at the register, waiting for the cashier to get done, supervising how bags are filled.
    • After cashier is done and announces cost of groceries, customer slowly opens purse and looks for checkbook, wallet, or glasses. (We call this the, "Oh, I forgot I have to pay for this stuff" moment.)
    • If writing a check, customer asks for a pen, then slowly writes check.
    • If paying cash, customer takes multiple rubber bands off of wallet. (Don't ask me what the rubber bands are for, I've NEVER figured that one out.) Cash customers also like to give the exact amount, so they'll dig for change after paying out the exact number of dollars.
    • If paying with debit card, customer digs for wallet (see "takes multiple rubber bands off" above), then digs for glasses. Customer then needs to be walked through the debit card swipe process while trying to line up bi/tri-focals.
    • After paying - but before leaving the checkout area - customer slowly loads checkbook, wallet, and/or glasses back into purse, then digs out keys.
    I suspect that if one of them did pull out an extreme number of coupons, it would not be until AFTER the sale was completely rung up. In our neighborhood, the results would be referred to as "justifiable homicide."

And that's why God invented Self-Checkout. The Rubber Band Brigade NEVER goes there!
    : OMG AZChristian- that has got to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on FORT!! Thanks for making me LMAO!
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

I just saw a preview for an episode featuring a woman who's essentially set up a food bank in her garage--she even has it organized like a store. She pointed out that it doesn't matter who they are; anyone who comes is welcome to take what they need. Now, I don't mind someone like that doing extreme couponing, because she's not just stockpiling the stuff. She's actually giving it to people who can use it. She did seem really giddy in the checkout line, but if she has to be addicted to a couponing high, at least other people who are going through tough economic times are benefitting from it.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just saw a preview for an episode featuring a woman who's essentially set up a food bank in her garage--she even has it organized like a store. She pointed out that it doesn't matter who they are; anyone who comes is welcome to take what they need. Now, I don't mind someone like that doing extreme couponing, because she's not just stockpiling the stuff. She's actually giving it to people who can use it. She did seem really giddy in the checkout line, but if she has to be addicted to a couponing high, at least other people who are going through tough economic times are benefitting from it.
    Now that I have no problem with. I always said if people are getting a cart full of toothbrushes, for example, if its for a food pantry or a shelter etc... it is fine by me. When its to fill yet another shelf or a room in your home... it is wrong.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I thought it was nice that she went out of her way to make her "store" look like a store--she even had a pegboard with hooks at the end of an "aisle" on which she'd hung stuff like disposable razors. She seemed to want it to feel more like a store than a food bank; I assume that was so people could feel more like they were shopping and not getting a handout.

I don't go that far, but I'll do stuff like go to the two for one toy sale a local store has at Christmas and pick up jigsaw puzzles, because the nursing home where I volunteer can always use jigsaw puzzles. They have a lot of people who work on them in the community rooms, and it's nice to have a variety, so they can be switched in and out and no one has to do the same puzzle multiple times (it helps that there are multiple community rooms, and they can rotate the puzzles around so that the same puzzle can be done a number of times by different groups). Other people will buy two trucks (or whatever) and donate one to charity and use one as a gift. It's actually a farm and auto supply store that has a toyland at Christmas, so they have especially good trucks and farm toys, though they carry a lot of other kinds of toys too.

If I see deals on other things that I know perfectly well will be on nursing home residents' angel tree request lists, I'll pick those up on sale or with coupons--stuff like notecards or throws or lotion or socks--and put them away with my Christmas stuff, so I'll find them when I need to turn them over (though I also like to pick request lists of residents I know--they're supposed to be anonymous, but I've been volunteering there nearly a decade and some of the lists just clearly must belong to a particular person, and it's more fun to shop for someone you know, even if he/she never knows you were the one who did the shopping). I don't have the room to stockpile stuff, though--except for books, piano music, and crafting supplies, which I swear multiply by themselves. And it's not like I set out to stockpile those things. It just sort of happened.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567