+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing

FORT Fogey

Re: Extreme Couponing

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Speaking as a cashier, extreme couponers are a pain in the butt, and I hope that they choke on their damn greed. A very recent example, on a very busy day: I was sent to take over a register for a cashier who was going to break. She had just started what looked like a small order, but she turned out to be an extremist. Among other things, she had twenty-six 12-packs of disposable razors. I asked what one did with over 300 disposable razors, and she said, "I have coupons!" Yeah, but what does one do with 300 razors? "Uh, I have a big family." Honey, your family isn't that big! There were other examples in her cart--dozens of antiperspirants, shampoos out the . . . you get the picture. By the time she was done making up price matches (I didn't believe any of them were legit) and using her coupons, the cashier was 40 minutes late for break, I spent 40 with my thumb up my ***, and a customer service manager wasted 20 minutes at the register trying to adjudicate the questionable items. At least four customers turned away from the register. One couple stayed in line--they wanted to see an extreme couponer do her thing. At the end of the 40 minutes, they had pretty much concluded that the woman (and her daughter) has mental issues.
    That's another thing stores really have to consider with regard to extreme couponers--I would never wait in line for forty minutes behind someone like that either. I've been known to leave a store without what I came in to buy and gone to buy it elsewhere if the lines are long and at a stand still or if there are only a couple of registers out of a dozen open (I understand that if it's not a particularly busy time--but if you've got long lines at both registers, clearly it is a busy time).

Is it possible for stores to limit the number of coupons per person or would that be illegal? If they limited it to, say, fifteen coupons per person per trip, that wouldn't inconvenience most people, but it would keep the extreme couponers from indulging so easily in their addiction. If drinkers can be cut off in bars for their own good, and the good of the public at large, why can't extreme couponers be cut off too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    That's another thing stores really have to consider with regard to extreme couponers--I would never wait in line for forty minutes behind someone like that either. I've been known to leave a store without what I came in to buy and gone to buy it elsewhere if the lines are long and at a stand still or if there are only a couple of registers out of a dozen open (I understand that if it's not a particularly busy time--but if you've got long lines at both registers, clearly it is a busy time).

Is it possible for stores to limit the number of coupons per person or would that be illegal? If they limited it to, say, fifteen coupons per person per trip, that wouldn't inconvenience most people, but it would keep the extreme couponers from indulging so easily in their addiction. If drinkers can be cut off in bars for their own good, and the good of the public at large, why can't extreme couponers be cut off too?
    I take my mom out for errands once a week and about every other week I'm doing my errands as well with her. It's really not that hard to get 15 coupons just buying your average stuff that people use especially on the off chance that you may have in-store and manufacturer coupons (occasionally happens to use at Target). We don't buy stuff in bulk just to have it. But just buying TP, razors, soaps, toothpaste etc. we still have well over 10-15 coupons in some trips because we don't often buy an item if we don't have a coupon. We're not extreme by any means but just your average coupon people.

I would likely change stores if they got that picky. Generally speaking I see bigger issues holding up lines with chatty cashiers, cards that don't work, people wanting their stuff put into specific groupings in bags, generally slow cashiers, people writing checks or counting coins etc. There are million ways to hold up a line and normal old couponing isn't one of them. I would suggest to the stores to open another lane when these hoarders come through with their treasures. And when lines are long in general they should be addressing it. But if I'm doing errands I'm going to stand there and do my errands in line because to me it's not the end of the world if things don't move at fast speed all the time.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I take my mom out for errands once a week and about every other week I'm doing my errands as well with her. It's really not that hard to get 15 coupons just buying your average stuff that people use especially on the off chance that you may have in-store and manufacturer coupons (occasionally happens to use at Target). We don't buy stuff in bulk just to have it. But just buying TP, razors, soaps, toothpaste etc. we still have well over 10-15 coupons in some trips because we don't often buy an item if we don't have a coupon. We're not extreme by any means but just your average coupon people.

I would likely change stores if they got that picky. Generally speaking I see bigger issues holding up lines with chatty cashiers, cards that don't work, people wanting their stuff put into specific groupings in bags, generally slow cashiers, people writing checks or counting coins etc. There are million ways to hold up a line and normal old couponing isn't one of them. I would suggest to the stores to open another lane when these hoarders come through with their treasures. And when lines are long in general they should be addressing it. But if I'm doing errands I'm going to stand there and do my errands in line because to me it's not the end of the world if things don't move at fast speed all the time.
    I only suggested fifteen coupons as an idea. I don't know what the average for coupon using is. If it's more like thirty, then fine, set the limit at that. In cases where people were shopping together, if it were a per person limit, that would still mean each person could get the thirty coupons. I'm not sure I like the idea of a separate line for extreme couponers, because that seems to encourage the whole idea, but I guess that would be up to the store in question. I'm not sure stores really want to be seen as encouraging that either, because extreme couponers may be more trouble than they're worth to the stores.

As far as lines being held up, I really was speaking to the complaint by the poster who worked at a store who said that extreme couponing was holding up a line and people were leaving the line because of it. Any customer taking forty minutes of a checkout clerk's time for any reason is obviously going to inconvenience any number of other customers. A regular couponer isn't likely to do that. Nor does someone writing a check, which takes but a couple of minutes to do. Few people will chat with a cashier for forty minutes either.

And of course it's not the end of the world if you have to stand in line for ten or twenty or forty minutes, but if there's a viable option that allows a customer to, say, drive a short distance, buy the same product, and get to whatever they need to do next in a more timely fashion, then that customer may well choose to do that. It's not always just a matter of impatience. If you're only after one or two things, and there is no express lane available, and you have other tasks that demand your attention that day too, you may decide it's just a better idea for you to go elsewhere, because on some days, for some people, a faster pace is just necessary. In fact, once I left a busy, overcrowded chain store to go to a local store to buy what I want and got terrific service. When I complimented them on their service and mentioned what had happened at the chain outlet, they gave me a 20% discount. Worked out great for everyone--I got what I wanted at a discount and the people who chose to wait in line at the chain store had one less person with whom to deal.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Typical situation at our store (near the retirement community in which I live):
    • Customer at the register, waiting for the cashier to get done, supervising how bags are filled.
    • After cashier is done and announces cost of groceries, customer slowly opens purse and looks for checkbook, wallet, or glasses. (We call this the, "Oh, I forgot I have to pay for this stuff" moment.)
    • If writing a check, customer asks for a pen, then slowly writes check.
    • If paying cash, customer takes multiple rubber bands off of wallet. (Don't ask me what the rubber bands are for, I've NEVER figured that one out.) Cash customers also like to give the exact amount, so they'll dig for change after paying out the exact number of dollars.
    • If paying with debit card, customer digs for wallet (see "takes multiple rubber bands off" above), then digs for glasses. Customer then needs to be walked through the debit card swipe process while trying to line up bi/tri-focals.
    • After paying - but before leaving the checkout area - customer slowly loads checkbook, wallet, and/or glasses back into purse, then digs out keys.
    I suspect that if one of them did pull out an extreme number of coupons, it would not be until AFTER the sale was completely rung up. In our neighborhood, the results would be referred to as "justifiable homicide."

And that's why God invented Self-Checkout. The Rubber Band Brigade NEVER goes there!

The typical issues at the Target I go to are you get heavily sighing high school kids who move slow as molasses to do anything as cashiers. Then heaven forbid if one of their friends show up they spend the next 20 minutes chatting away oblivious that there is a line behind them. Then you get to the holiday season like we're in now and you have parents wanting everything in specific bags and clothes all folded up nicely before being bagged up. There a ton of hold ups in lines. Other than these extreme hoarders the couponers on average are the least of the problems.

I have yet to see an extreme couponer when I have been in line. I did see people with maybe 20 coupons a few times, but they scanned and it was no issue. Still stores are not opening as many lines as they used to and not every store has self checkout, so you aren't always waiting on a couponer, but maybe a slow checker, a charge card not going through (I loved the woman who tried about 5 before one worked--ugh!) etc... But I do think if the person in front of me had 5 carts of c--- and mounds of coupons, I would find another lane or go elsewhere.... I don't think I could keep the snide comments to myself if that were the case.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I saw a commercial for an episode involving a teenage boy who was an extreme couponer, and he had a shelf full of Stayfree pads! He said he wasn't sure what "with wings" meant, but they ended up being free by the time he used his coupons.

Seriously, that's ridiculous. Unless he has a houseful of sisters or he's donating them to a women's shelter, what's the point? He couldn't possibly have a use for them, and he's buying them in bulk because of coupons, potentially clearing shelves of the product for women who actually would use them.

He also claimed to have enough deodorant to last himself through college--though given the size of that shelf, I'd say grad school, unless he has a particular problem with perspiration. Or he was planning on selling it all at a deep discount and putting himself through college on the funds he raised.
    See, that is just someone who has a hoarding sickness. Who cares if they are free? If you can't use them or won't donate them, don't buy them!
    tapper01 likes this.

At my store, customer service managers have to approve any sale that has more than 40 coupons or if the total savings exceeds a certain threshold, but that doesn't help. At that point, the coupons have been rung up, and the CSMs have never refused a sale.

Ordinary couponing, even if there are 15-20 coupons, doesn't bother me. I am generally on the customer's side, and I will sometimes tell them where to find the best prices for ad-matching (I can't do an ad match if they don't ask for it, but I can say "Store X usually kills us on produce, you might want to check their ad before you come in.")

A side rant: I am sick to death of people who print coupons from the internet and don't clip the coupon from the sheet of paper. I do not have room in my drawer for a ream of paper, I don't usually have scissors at the register (about 15% do; we share), and I sure as heck don't have time to clip YOUR coupons.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    A side rant: I am sick to death of people who print coupons from the internet and don't clip the coupon from the sheet of paper. I do not have room in my drawer for a ream of paper, I don't usually have scissors at the register (about 15% do; we share), and I sure as heck don't have time to clip YOUR coupons.
    If you see people who have full sheets of paper as you're checking them out, can't you borrow scissors from a co-worker, hand them to the customer and say, "Please cut out the coupons while I ring up your purchases. We don't have room in the drawer for the full sheet of paper"??? Seems like that would teach them for the next times(s), too.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    If you see people who have full sheets of paper as you're checking them out, can't you borrow scissors from a co-worker, hand them to the customer and say, "Please cut out the coupons while I ring up your purchases. We don't have room in the drawer for the full sheet of paper"??? Seems like that would teach them for the next times(s), too.
    Great idea! I'm good, I always cut mine out!
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast