+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing

Re: Extreme Couponing

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    To me the only difference between the hoarders and the extreme couponers, is the couponers keep a neater home
    Exactly! The couponers just buy shelving to store all the stuff they hoard!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I recently discovered Target online coupons and I also like that some of the deals are for clothing, small electronics and the like that normally aren't in normal coupon sources. Now I don't run out and buy a new toaster when I see the coupon for it, but I have printed some that I saved in case of emergency or surprise necessity.
    Some of the ones we've found haven't lasted long after printing (just a couple weeks before they expire. I'll give it a look when I do my list. I like the odd stuff they'll have coupons for there too.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Exactly! The couponers just buy shelving to store all the stuff they hoard!
    But only if they have coupons for the shelving.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Some of the ones we've found haven't lasted long after printing (just a couple weeks before they expire. I'll give it a look when I do my list. I like the odd stuff they'll have coupons for there too.
    Yes some don't last very long. I even got one for young men's graphic tees. My son was going back to school and I figured, I'd print it and see what they had for sale.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I used coupons this weekend and actually saved 50 bucks. Still spent 150 but it felt good to save that money. Still don't know how they get as much savings as they do, but I did manage to get a shampoo/conditioner for free...

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01 View Post
    I used coupons this weekend and actually saved 50 bucks. Still spent 150 but it felt good to save that money. Still don't know how they get as much savings as they do, but I did manage to get a shampoo/conditioner for free...
    That still sounds reasonable. I recently had a buy one get one free on shampoo and conditioner. If I would have had another coupon, I would have gotten two more as its something I use.

I stock up on glad products at target at this time of year. With the right combination of coupons when they are giving away their $5 gift cards for buying them you are essentially getting glad products for free. I will then use the candles and such throughout the year (tend to like the winter scents more). We ended up in a similar situation with always as well with a good coupon combo and gift card deal.

Oh good Lord! The commercial for the new episode has a woman showing how she has so many coupon circulars... a closet full of shelves of newspapers! And not just 10 papers, there had to have been over 100!

FORT Fogey

I saw a commercial for an episode involving a teenage boy who was an extreme couponer, and he had a shelf full of Stayfree pads! He said he wasn't sure what "with wings" meant, but they ended up being free by the time he used his coupons.

Seriously, that's ridiculous. Unless he has a houseful of sisters or he's donating them to a women's shelter, what's the point? He couldn't possibly have a use for them, and he's buying them in bulk because of coupons, potentially clearing shelves of the product for women who actually would use them.

He also claimed to have enough deodorant to last himself through college--though given the size of that shelf, I'd say grad school, unless he has a particular problem with perspiration. Or he was planning on selling it all at a deep discount and putting himself through college on the funds he raised.

Speaking as a cashier, extreme couponers are a pain in the butt, and I hope that they choke on their damn greed. A very recent example, on a very busy day: I was sent to take over a register for a cashier who was going to break. She had just started what looked like a small order, but she turned out to be an extremist. Among other things, she had twenty-six 12-packs of disposable razors. I asked what one did with over 300 disposable razors, and she said, "I have coupons!" Yeah, but what does one do with 300 razors? "Uh, I have a big family." Honey, your family isn't that big! There were other examples in her cart--dozens of antiperspirants, shampoos out the . . . you get the picture. By the time she was done making up price matches (I didn't believe any of them were legit) and using her coupons, the cashier was 40 minutes late for break, I spent 40 with my thumb up my ***, and a customer service manager wasted 20 minutes at the register trying to adjudicate the questionable items. At least four customers turned away from the register. One couple stayed in line--they wanted to see an extreme couponer do her thing. At the end of the 40 minutes, they had pretty much concluded that the woman (and her daughter) has mental issues.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast