+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Extreme Couponing

Re: Extreme Couponing

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I agree about the wedding. That is just not enough on food. My husband, son and I spend around $40 to $50 when we got out to eat. And for my birthday dinner at a Brazilian barbecue it was $179 before my coupons reduced it to $100. So how can you feed all those people for so cheap? AGain Kraft Mac and Cheese.

As for the whole Maalox thing... what a waste. It is so wrong to buy stuff because it is cheap and never use it. One item or maybe two... you might use but so many? What is wrong with people? Buy just to say I got it so cheap but have no interest in it? Again, I think some of this is an addiction to amass free or cheap goodies... see how much you can get away with saving and not really interested in the food. Also watch how much of the food people buy is over processed garbage like frozen meals and not fresh veggies, fruits or meats.... Woo hoo, I just paid #2 for my three carts but where is the fresh produce??? Sorry, I like to get things that are actually good for us and not crap that isn't!!!

I don't have all those hours a week to waste, I work. And while I clip coupons, I do so in normal moderation. I don't have the time to quit work or want to intrude on my personal time... again, I think its an addiction just like hoarding, gambling and the like....
    I'm laughing at the wedding food discussion because I'm thinking I rarely use the registry for gifts unless I have a coupon for the spoon that's on it. I rarely buy anything expensive for a wedding especially if the couple has all the accoutrements for their home already (I have my own home to furnish and don't get a singles registry to deck it out with).

Anyhow, I find the wastefulness of some of the times mind blowing. All that Maalox to just throw some away. I'd be even more upset if it was one of those people that cleaned the shelf off and I came after them needing the maalox (and if you need it you really NEED it) only to find somebody with an ego and handful of coupons bought it out.

Knowing that there's only a rare coupon for healthier food I kind of feel bad for these folks especially if they limit themselves on coupons only. You can only survive on tuna and kraft dinner so long.

Quote Originally Posted by mina View Post
    I was watching an episode last night and it could have been an old one so forgive me if it is. But it was the episode where one sister was helping her sister coupon for her wedding reception. They said her budget for the whole wedding was $15,000, but she was only going to spend $150 of that on the food, hence the couponing. I wonder what the rest of the budget was spent on.....It looked like they were getting married in someone's backyard. I appreciate thriftiness; but if you have $15,000 to spend on your wedding then serve your guests something better than Kraft pasta! I just got married and had a really lovely catered reception and we spent no where near $15000 when it was said and done.
    If you don't have money for food for a wedding, have it not during a meal time, for goodness sake. Have a cake, punch, some toasting champagne, maybe some nuts or munchies on the table. That's what hubby and I did for our wedding and the punch was a wedding gift. I don't remember how much we spent, but it probably was close to 150 (remember this was 18 years ago). Jeez. $15,000 and only 150 for food? Did that include any alcohol or drinks? Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    If you don't have money for food for a wedding, have it not during a meal time, for goodness sake. Have a cake, punch, some toasting champagne, maybe some nuts or munchies on the table. That's what hubby and I did for our wedding and the punch was a wedding gift. I don't remember how much we spent, but it probably was close to 150 (remember this was 18 years ago). Jeez. $15,000 and only 150 for food? Did that include any alcohol or drinks? Sad
    Is it common other places that the wedding couple pays for the booze? Here weddings typically have pay bars.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Is it common other places that the wedding couple pays for the booze? Here weddings typically have pay bars.
    Depends on the pocketbooks, I think. Most weddings I have been on have paid for toasting champagne at least. Maybe some wine if they have a sit down dinner. Mixed drinks and liquor like that is usually for pay bars. I've only been to one wedding that had an open bar at the rehearsal dinner and the reception.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I'm laughing at the wedding food discussion because I'm thinking I rarely use the registry for gifts unless I have a coupon for the spoon that's on it. I rarely buy anything expensive for a wedding especially if the couple has all the accoutrements for their home already (I have my own home to furnish and don't get a singles registry to deck it out with).

Anyhow, I find the wastefulness of some of the times mind blowing. All that Maalox to just throw some away. I'd be even more upset if it was one of those people that cleaned the shelf off and I came after them needing the maalox (and if you need it you really NEED it) only to find somebody with an ego and handful of coupons bought it out.

Knowing that there's only a rare coupon for healthier food I kind of feel bad for these folks especially if they limit themselves on coupons only. You can only survive on tuna and kraft dinner so long.

Oh, I don't generally use registries either, but I do spend more than $2 on the gift--which is why I made the comparison. If you're expecting gifts at all, spending only $150 out of a $15,000 wedding budget for food is ridiculous. But then, I think a $15,000 wedding budget is pretty ridiculous too.

And I agree, if you don't have a lot of money to spend on a big spread for a wedding (though, clearly, if their budget was $15,000, they could have spent more than $150), just do an afternoon wedding and go the cake and punch route. If you get married at two in the afternoon, I don't think anyone would expect a full out meal to follow the ceremony. Or you can just go with a variety of appetizers and cake. I was at an afternoon wedding like that, which I know was done on a budget as both the bride and groom were still in grad school when they married, and it was actually a lot of fun to try a bunch of bite-sized treats as opposed to a meal.

It's not like I go to weddings to eat, but I don't see how you could feed the guests much of anything for only $150, unless it was a really small wedding--and why would you spend $15,000 on a small wedding, unless it was a really fancy destination wedding, which this apparently wasn't.

I also agree about the Maalox business. I love a good deal too, but if it's not something I'd use, I don't bother with it. And if you use grocery store coupons, instead of just those available on-line or in publications, you can sometimes get deals on fresh produce. At least you can around here.

Tilden - The only way I find deals on produce is, like you said, in the grocery store circulars. The only exception is bagged salads - sometimes there are coupons for that. I shop the perimeter of the store and then the rice/ beans/ pasta/ canned tomatoes aisle. I get coupons for toiletries and household goods, but that's about it. Most of the hair care products I'm using now were free. I haunt the freebie sites and get lucky.

I watched one episode of this show where a woman was distraught at the register because her $500-ish cart came to $35 and it was supposed to be $26. I guess some of the coupons she loaded on her store card didn't work. I wanted someone to smack her and tell her to get some perspective. It was a bit much.

I'd love to save more with coupons, but NO grocery stores around here double coupons. I have to settle for sale items and regular coupons.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

No stores here double coupons either and our we get very limited coupons in the store circulars for fresh veggies. For an extreme coupon person it would be pointless to try to use them here as you don't get you don't get them for free. I use them when I find them. We don't do store cards here that you load with coupons either. I have to cut them out and they're kind of sporadic when they come out.

Our stores around here do not double coupons either. One grocery chain used to take expired coupons, but they don't anymore. I used to make a killing at this place as I always had several expired coupons. ITs too bad, but if I can save a few dollars or more a shopping trip, I'm pretty pleased. I also shop sales and rarely pay full price for anything but staples that we need every week, like milk, bread or eggs. I think I do well enough without having to go oeverboard. There are only 3 of us, I don't need (nor want to store) upteen boxes or ottles of something.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I suspect extreme couponing type abuses of double coupon days are why so few stores have them anymore. For a while, it was any coupon could be doubled, then it was only coupons fifty cents or under, and then they just eliminated the practice entirely.

I wonder if those who are into the whole extreme couponing phenomenon realize that they may be saving themselves right out of existence. Stores aren't going to put up with people abusing the coupon system to the point that they're losing money and/or other customers can't get the products they want/need, due to shelf-clearers.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I suspect extreme couponing type abuses of double coupon days are why so few stores have them anymore. For a while, it was any coupon could be doubled, then it was only coupons fifty cents or under, and then they just eliminated the practice entirely.

I wonder if those who are into the whole extreme couponing phenomenon realize that they may be saving themselves right out of existence. Stores aren't going to put up with people abusing the coupon system to the point that they're losing money and/or other customers can't get the products they want/need, due to shelf-clearers.
    I've heard that some stores are starting to not take internet coupons, which is not good news. That's how I get quite a few of my coupons. Apparently, people are putting out counterfeit ones that look legit. So, once again, the few are going to ruin it for the many!

I didn't see the episode, but haven't they shown at least one person cheating the system?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast