+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dirty Soap (E!)

Dirty Soap (E!)

Dirty Soap | E! Online

The first episode aired tonight. Did anyone else watch?

I was familiar with most of the actors already - I watch GH and OLTL - but I was surprised at how unlikeable most of them were. Farah Fath came off like a straight up bitch. That little snark about the fan taking pics of them in the coffee shop ("Nice tights") was just rude. Does she not realize how bitchy she is? It's pretty clear that JP doesn't want anything to do with moving to LA and that she's bullying him into it. I hope he stands up to her soon, before he's stuck out there and miserable in a house he doesn't want.

I'm shocked at Galen Gehring's wife on several levels. First, your husband is a soap actor. He's going to do love scenes on a regular basis, so you should probably either learn to deal with it or not watch them. Second, why is DOOL on in their home where those very young children can see their father making out with "Ben's mommy" (aka Ali Sweeney)? Talk about bad judgment.

I generally liked Kelly Monaco (still not a fan of her character), although I was surprised at how crass she was at that fan event. I liked that Kirsten Storms was there for her when she was dealing with all the stuff her ex left behind, but I thought she was a bit insensitive about it. Kelly didn't need to burn her prom dress to get over the guy.

IMO, they all came off pretty self-involved (big shocker, I know!) and vapid. I think E! reality shows tend to be edited for drama and you don't necessarily get to see what the people are really like. I'll be curious to see if that continues or if we actually see more to them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Dirty Soap (E!)

I started watching Days about the same time Farrah, Kirsten, and Nadia came on so I am pretty familiar with most of these gals. PLus I was a die hard Passions fan, so when Galen came to DOOL I was excited.
    Galen has been in the soap business a LONG time, so Im thinking some of the "awkwardness" the wife was feeling was played up for the show. I mean, come on, if she isnt used to it by now...
    I never really liked Farrah for some reason, and my opinion hasnt changed. Im proud of Kirsten going the right route after her DUI as opposed to most other hollywood teens!
    I love Nadia, she is so breath-taking to me. She and her boyfriend are an extremely good looking couple!
    I will try to keep up with this show, if I can remember that its on!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Nadia and Brandon were really sweet and seem to be very supportive of each other. I remembered that she was a trained opera singer, but hadn't heard her sing before. She has a beautiful voice. I liked that she thanked people so much. I notice when people don't and she seemed very gracious. At the very least, she's behaving well in front of the camera, unlike some of the other people on the show!

I read some of the profiles on the E! site and was surprised that Kirsten is pretty much estranged from her family and, apparently, the person who was her BFF (Farah, although I can't blame Kirsten - Farah's kind of a witch). I'll be curious to see if they explore the her issues with her family.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I watch GH and OLTL - but I was surprised at how unlikeable most of them were. Farah Fath came off like a straight up bitch. That little snark about the fan taking pics of them in the coffee shop ("Nice tights") was just rude. Does she not realize how bitchy she is? It's pretty clear that JP doesn't want anything to do with moving to LA and that she's bullying him into it. I hope he stands up to her soon, before he's stuck out there and miserable in a house he doesn't want.

I'm shocked at Galen Gehring's wife on several levels. First, your husband is a soap actor. He's going to do love scenes on a regular basis, so you should probably either learn to deal with it or not watch them. Second, why is DOOL on in their home where those very young children can see their father making out with "Ben's mommy" (aka Ali Sweeney)? Talk about bad judgment.
    Totally agree with your comments about Farah Fath. I've never seen her before, and after this episode, I can't stand her. I have a feeling I'll be fast-forwarding through all of her scenes!

In regard to Galen's wife --- what you say is true to a certain extent, Critical, but you know, I can really feel sympathy for people in a relationship with celebrity stars who are often in love scenes --- it has got to be hard to watch that, or even just to know that your significant other is 'making love' (physically or emotionally) to another person (no matter that it's just for a movie or tv show) --- because we all know that some REAL LIFE romances start that way!!! Yes, the SO chose to be in a relationship with the star --- but 'love' isn't something that you can easily control, and it's just got to be very hard. I couldn't walk away from someone I was in love with, just because that person would be having some on-screen love scenes --- but I know that it would still hurt me very much.

One thing I would've done differently though, if I was Galen's wife --- at the farewell party for Nadjia, instead of forlornly sitting on the bench by herself, she would've done herself (and her relationship with Galen) a huge service if she had cheerfully joined in the crowd and made herself one of the group --- My guess is that Galen would've really appreciated that, and that it would help a lot to strengthen them as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    In regard to Galen's wife --- what you say is true to a certain extent, Critical, but you know, I can really feel sympathy for people in a relationship with celebrity stars who are often in love scenes --- it has got to be hard to watch that, or even just to know that your significant other is 'making love' (physically or emotionally) to another person (no matter that it's just for a movie or tv show) --- because we all know that some REAL LIFE romances start that way!!! Yes, the SO chose to be in a relationship with the star --- but 'love' isn't something that you can easily control, and it's just got to be very hard. I couldn't walk away from someone I was in love with, just because that person would be having some on-screen love scenes --- but I know that it would still hurt me very much.

One thing I would've done differently though, if I was Galen's wife --- at the farewell party for Nadjia, instead of forlornly sitting on the bench by herself, she would've done herself (and her relationship with Galen) a huge service if she had cheerfully joined in the crowd and made herself one of the group --- My guess is that Galen would've really appreciated that, and that it would help a lot to strengthen them as a couple.
    I agree that it would be hard to deal with, BUT they've been together for, what, 18 years? She should have developed better coping mechnaisms by now. If she has a hard time with it, she probably shouldn't watch the show and she shouldn't run lines with him. Also, isn't Ali Sweeney is main love interest on the show and isn't she happily married with kids? It's not like he's having love scenes with some hot, single, 22 year old ingenue, which would make me nervous too. The obviously know Ali well enough for their kids to call her "Ben's mommy." I'm not terribly secure sometimes, but then I probably would never get involved with an actor. Also, isn't she an actress? It just seems to me like you have to trust your partner. It's not like they haven't been together for a long time.

I agree that Jenna should have just joined in at the party. I guess she was too busy having her own pity party. I think she's a bit of a drama queen and that behavior may backfire on her. I know it'd get really old really fast if I had to deal with that on a regular basis. Galen obviously loves her. Maybe that's just the dynamic that works in their relationship.

It was fun to see the studio at NBC. I have several friends who worked there (both on The Tonight Show - one with Carson and one with Leno), so I spent some time there back in the day

I watched this after reading this thread. Really didn't know what the show was before that.
    I actually liked it. I only know the ones from Days but enjoyed seeing them as real people and I liked seeing the sets, the actors rehearsing in their own clothes, etc.
    Thanks, all of you, for posting about it.

This show is funny for me because when I was actually in high school Kristen Storms, Farah Fath, and Nadia Bjorlin (Sp?) had all just started on DAYS and it was all high school storylines so I ate it up. Seeing this show was hilarious because I haven't watched soaps in a number of years but back in the day I watched DAYS, Passions, Y&R, B&B, and All My Children (at different times....not all at once, LOL) so I "know" pretty much everybody on the show. The biggest thing that stuck out to me as being just completely ridiculous and over the top was the obviously staged back and forth between Galen Gering and his wife about him making out on the show. Galen Gerring has been on soaps for YEARS and I remember him always being shirtless and having sex scenes with Sheridan on Passions so all this just seemed so silly and for the cameras. I'm sure she did once upon a time have an issue with him kissing people but now, after over 12 to 15 years she really needs to deal and just accept what his job is. She certainly has no problem accepting the paychecks that come with his job, lol. I really don't think she has an issue and I think it was all done for the show but either way I just found it very odd and silly to me. Furthermore I agree 100% with whoever above said that it was absurd that she had DAYS playing on the television in front of her son. I don't think it takes a brain scientist to realize he's too young to differentiate and understand the difference between real and make believe and regardless, Days is NOT a show for someone his age. Period.

Farrah did come off as a total b*tch but for me she made the show entertaining so I liked it. haha.
    AmyKay likes this.

I think the whole set up with Galen Gerring and his wife/her jealousy was totally scripted. It didn't ring true to me. Totally phoney, especially hearing their little boy, look up at the tv and ask why Daddy was in bed w/Ben's mommy. I think he's too young to be seeing that show but if he does, he should be quite used to Daddy doing a lot of things with a lot of people.

Man, Nadja's mother is a bitch! She's not going to give Brandon a break at all. From what little we've seen, he seems to treat Nadja really well. Her mother complained that he never gives Nadja flowers, but didn't we see her get flowers from him last week on her last day at DOOL?

I think all of them came off better in the second episode, even Farah. I really felt for Kirsten. It must be so hard to deal with saying goodbye to her only family member. At least she has her sil and the kids.

Galen's kid locking himself in his room = I thought Jenna handled it pretty well when he fessed up to what happened. It's amazing what a spa day and 5 pounds of chocolate cake will do for your mood!

I know people were upset with Farah's comment "nice tights", but if you have ever dated someone on a show or soap, it becomes old pretty quickly, when people take multi pics without asking and continually your spouse/bf/gf, receives requests for autographs. <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast