+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 115 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree756Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Kiz

Dance Moms on Lifetime

Moms are getting a bad rap on Wednesday nights. Look out Toddlers and Tiaras, Dance Moms debuts on Lifetime tonight (July 13) at 10pm EST. I just saw a commercial for the show, and if you haven't had enough screaming moms on other shows, well, this one's for you.

Dance Moms - Official Site | myLifetime.com
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

About dang time, I get a little annoyed that all the focus is on the pageant moms when I've seen other parents in other "sports" being just as awful. I may have to check it out, if I remember lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Kiz

Harmony, if you remember (lol) to watch the show one week, you won't be disappointed. These moms represent, and the pageant moms have nothing on them . If you catch a rebroadcast of last night's show, keep your eye out for the minister mom. Don't worry, you won't miss her . Then, there were the moms drinking at the hotel bar while their daughters needed help getting hair, makeup, and outfits put together for their routine . The instructor was as bad as the moms . One little girl had to practice although she had a very upset stomach . The little girl never gets sick and is their top dancer, so I'm sure it wasn't an act. Poor little thing. It was sad .

Lifetime has the entire episode available online already, I'm going to watch it during my lunch lol. It looks interesting and damage control is already underway for the studio at the center of it. Did they not realize how bad they were going to look when they agreed to do this?

Kiz

I'm anxious to hear what you think about the show, Harmony. I just read a few Pittsburgh area news articles about the show, and to say they were scathing reviews on the instructor and the parents is to put it mildly. In one article, the readers' comment section is red hot.

Watched it and....I'm in! That was riveting! I want to see more, I think it's more of a train wreck than even Toddlers & Tiara's. One of those shows where you just watch with your mouth hanging open.

OK so my thoughts, I don't mind Abby. I see coaches like her all the time on the little league fields, heck, even my son's judo and fencing coaches are this intense. You want intensity? Sit in on one of the belt tests for the next level, heck, it scares us adults and we aren't the ones doing it!

Going down the list

Chloe's mom - spending 16K a year? on dancing and then you decide to go drink it up in a bar and scream at the coach who calls you on it? Real mature there and if I were Abby I would remind her that she may be paying for the classes but it is still Abby's choice whether or not to teach her.

Madi's mom - holy cow! What a piece of work there. "I can't stand a child that's sick." "To make it on Broadway or a TV Show..." I wonder which show that is? LOL. This right here is what those dancers on SYTYCD dealt with growing up, sort of puts everything in a different light. Doesn't it?

Nia's mom - she seems sane. However, would she be featured on this show if she wasn't crazy? No. Sane does not a show or ratings make, I'm waiting to see her show the crazy. I'm sure it's coming.

Vivi's mom - CRAZY! but I like little Vivi "I don't like pink." I can't believe she's only 6. Looks much older. I think she will definitely be one of the crazy moms.

Minister Dawn - wow. Just wow. Loved the line though "Every week we put the trash out." and way to make ministers look good. I was waiting for her to start cursing, that would have been awesome.

Abby "no flipflops, no bootie shorts, dressed appropriately." I wanted to cheer when she said that and then some of the moms had issues with it? Wow.

Overall, I like this show. I think Abby made a mistake agreeing to do it though, it will cost her customers.

Kiz

I'm glad you got to watch the show, and I enjoyed reading your recap of the players. I guess that's the last we'll see of the minister mom. I wonder if she's humiliated/ashamed at her televised outburst. I loved the policeman's advice to find another studio for her daughter. The mom who also owned her own dance studio (or at least taught at another, I'm not sure which) was a hoot. I predict we'll see more of her down the road.

Some more comments, is it bad of me to giggle at the way people are freaking out? Especially those who are screaming that they can't believe this show is making a mockery out of it and making everything look so bad. Oh wait, like the way Toddlers & Tiara's also only shows the worst? I just found that funny.

It's interesting reading some of the comments made by parents who were at the competition. I think it's a little bit of trying to do damage control. But they are saying that moms never dress up for these things and that these women are just putting on roles to be on TV. I think that can be said for any of these reality shows.

I still am going to watch, it's fascinating!

Oh and the woman spending 16K a year on lessons for her daughter? It's extreme but not that unusual. My son takes fencing classes, they cost over $100 a month and then there is all the gear associated with it, as well as the cost of tournaments. Not as much as 16K but it gets up there really quickly and will get more expensive if he decides to continue with it and if he ever gets to Olympics level (totally his choice though, I'm just happy that he's doing something he likes so much). I'm sort of hoping he doesn't go that route, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    This right here is what those dancers on SYTYCD dealt with growing up, sort of puts everything in a different light. Doesn't it?
    I'm going to disagree with this. I danced from age 5 until about 18 and the studio I went to was not like this. I was in performance groups with girls who went on to dance at Boston Ballet, Joffrey and ABT and other students at the school went on to Broadway, Star Search, San Francisco Ballet (Evelyn Cisneros was a student) and many other dance companies. Another school I attended had similar success stories. Never ONCE did I see or experience an instructor treating a student the way Abby treated those little girls. It was shameful.

The reality is that the vast majority of those kids won't ever do anything beyond the competitions Abby takes them to. They'll either get burned out or grow out of it in some way (too tall, too large, etc.) OR they just won't have the talent to keep going. To treat little girls like that is beyond the pale, IMO.

I competed in - and won - competitions like the ones these girls are competing in and my teacher NEVER brought any of us to tears. Not once. We practiced our little butts off, but he never yelled at us.

I thought that those mothers were incredibly immature - especially the two who disappeared to the bar. Yes, they do pay Abby, but it's her school and if they know her teaching methods and still let their daughters attend, then they need to follow her rules. I can tell you that my mother would have yanked my butt out of that school in a second.

The one mother who owned her own dance school was a freak! Sorry, her daughter was not talented. Not her fault, just the truth. The fact that the woman thought her daughter would compete in the competition in 2 days proves that she's delusional. When they first showed the preview of the mother freaking out, I thought it was that woman.

I have no doubt that Abby is now dealing with bad press. She should be ashamed of herself. These people develop these little fiefdoms and think that little girls winning trophies makes her an important person. Everyone knows her name at competitions? Well, even more people are going to know her name now...and not in a good way.

It seems to me that this is just more parents living through their children. I felt particularly sorry for the 13-year old who obviously didn't care about dancing as much as her mother did. Her mother seemed horrified that her daughter didn't mind 2nd and 3rd place.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

I'm glad to know Abby's method of brow beating is the exception and not the rule. Granted, my kids have never competed at a national level in sports, but I wouldn't stand for someone treating my kids the way Abby did for one minute especially at the young age of these featured girls. There's nothing in the world that's that important to me, and maybe that's why my kids never rose to nat'l level, but that's okay by me. I would be more worried for their self esteem. I did back Abby when she called the mom out for hanging out in the bar when her daughter was getting prepped for her routine. The unfortunate incident with the head band might have very well ruined their chances of winning their category, and the mom should have been there to help her dress. Unless they want to pay for assistants for Abby, they ought to be in the dressing room and not in the bar.

+ Reply to Thread