+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I was so proud of Nia last night. She really has worked to improve. I do find it frustrating that Abby ONLY gives her featured parts when the lead part can ONLY be African American. It would be nice if she got the lead just because. I think she's earned it.

In contrast, Kendall dances exactly the same as she always has. Cathy was right a few weeks ago. No real improvement.

I find it odd that Abby says Maddie isn't strong in ballet, since she's always going lyrical numbers. That requires similar technique. It's not like hip hop is her strength. I was also shocked to see her NOT in pointe shoes. At her age, she should be en pointe already, especially with her ability. As much as Abby focuses on technique, I'd expect those girls to be in ballet class every week....and not just privates.

Christie annoys me at times, but I like that she protects Chloe and lets her have a say in her school and dance experiences. Chloe is a beautiful dancer, but I don't see her making it a career.

I watched last week's episode again last night and MAN, Jill totally feeds Kendall's stress. That whole scene about Kendall's costume? First of all, it suited the music and the choreography. Did she think that routine called for a costume like Chloe's? Secondly, talking about how it wasn't a costume, but she should still go out there and give it her best anyway was so childish. I'm sure Kendall had no thought about that until her mother put it in her head that she was a second class citizen.

Those mothers at the audition were ridiculous, but then that wasn't a real audition. In an actual audition - one that wasn't just to create drama for the cameras - the mothers would be outside waiting.
    GabbyG likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I agree that as rude as Christie can be, she does seem to be genuinely interested in what Chloe wants, and if Chloe wants to give up dance at some point, I suspect that Christie may be disappointed, but she won't force her to continue. If I remember correctly, Chloe was the one Abby gave all the books to at Christmas, because she was so interested in reading and school, so it's quite possible that, regardless of what Abby thinks, that Chloe may have changed her mind about wanting to be a Rockette and is thinking about other careers. Really, what one wants to do at nine can, and often does, change by the time one is twelve. Or even ten.

I do think home schooling can work for some kids, and that in certain circumstances, it can even work better, but it takes a lot of commitment on the part of the parents and kids, and both have to really want it to work. I think perhaps Maddie does, but I'm not so certain about Mackenzie, who's remarked in the past that she likes school and her friends. I hope Mackenzie isn't just being lumped in there with Maddie by her mom--that is, that because Maddie really wants a career in dance that Mackenzie must have made that same decision at an equally young age. I also hope that they both get a good basic education, however they get it, because it will be important, no matter what they choose to do.

I also find it a little creepy that Abby is now saying she has plans for Mackenzie. The way she said it made me wonder if Mackenzie was going to have any say in those plans. Just because she enjoys entertaining at dance recitals doesn't mean she'd necessarily want to be a professional child performer, which is something else altogether.

I hated the audition scenes. Not only did they seem artificial, but I thought it was awful that Abby told a child who was all of maybe nine that she was a "hot mess" as she asked her to leave the stage. She couldn't just say, "Sorry, dear. Not this time." Even "Thank you. Next." would have been kinder.

I just read that most kids start to wear point shoes at age 12. Maddie is only 11, so I can why she wasn't in them yet. The article also went on to say that children could start earlier than 12 but that they should see an orthopedic doctor first to get consent. I guess their bones may not be strong enough for point shoes until then. Interesting article.

The home schooling debate I find pretty silly. Like Tilden said, it works for some kids, not for all. I was watching an interview with one of the skaters on the US Olympic Team this morning and she was in public school. Can't deny her interest in her sport, yet she never needed home schooling to make it to her goal. I believe it was Gracie Gold too, who just won the gold medal at the 2014 U.S. Championships.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I think that depends on the kid. I was in the 7th grade. I know girls who were 10 when they went en pointe. It's about the skeletal and muscular development. Maybe Abby's being cautious, but it may also have to do with Maddie not being as strong in ballet.

All that being said, they may just be more cautious now about putting girls en pointe too early than they were when I was a kid

I think every girl who ever took ballet at the time I did probably knew at least one girl who was put en pointe too young. Those bones and muscles never grow properly.
    mesachick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I just read that most kids start to wear point shoes at age 12. Maddie is only 11, so I can why she wasn't in them yet. The article also went on to say that children could start earlier than 12 but that they should see an orthopedic doctor first to get consent. I guess their bones may not be strong enough for point shoes until then. Interesting article.

The home schooling debate I find pretty silly. Like Tilden said, it works for some kids, not for all. I was watching an interview with one of the skaters on the US Olympic Team this morning and she was in public school. Can't deny her interest in her sport, yet she never needed home schooling to make it to her goal. I believe it was Gracie Gold too, who just won the gold medal at the 2014 U.S. Championships.
    I believe it was Gracie Gold. Jason Brown, who was the silver medalist in men's and brought the house down, also graduated from a regular high school. With elite skaters, however, they're often training in areas where the schools are used to dealing with elite skaters, so they're willing to arrange their schedules around their skating a bit. I think Jason has said he'd train before school started, then go to school, have all of his class work done by one or so, head back to the rink for more training, and then go home and study. It doesn't allow for a lot of extra curricular activity, but it is possible. In addition, some skaters do summer school work, so as to free up more of their time during the regular school year which coincides more with their competitive season. A lot of elite skaters also go to college while skating, some to pretty impressive colleges. Paul Wylie attended Harvard while he was skating, though some semesters he took a reduced load and said worlds were always hard for him because they often coincided with spring midterm exams. He went on to get accepted to both Harvard Law and Harvard Business School, earning an MBA at the latter. Debi Thomas attended Stanford while skating and is now an orthopedic surgeon. Neither of them are the first skaters to go on for advanced degrees either. Oh, and Davis and White, national and world champions and silver medalists in ice dance in Vancouver, have both been attending college in Michigan while skating.

In terms of home schooling, I've known some students who really benefitted from it and some who struggled with it, because both they and their parents found it difficult to be both child/parent and student/teacher. In one case, the problem was solved by finding a private school with smaller classes (the child found it hard to concentrate in noisy, large classrooms due to ADD and dyslexia) and hiring a local college student as a tutor. Worked out well for everyone involved, including the tutor, who gets a little extra money on the side and a great addition to her resume when she graduates and starts looking for a job, especially since she'd like to work with kids with learning disabilities. The problem with the parents trying to tutor the child was that he was so anxious about pleasing them, no matter how much they reassured him that it was okay to make mistakes, that he just got too tense to concentrate. With someone with whom he had only a teacher/student relationship, like the tutor, he didn't worry so much and did better. Plus, his parents didn't worry what in the world they were doing (in fact, nothing, really) that made him so anxious about pleasing him that he couldn't do his work.

OMG! I thought Taylor Armstrong (RHOBH) was scary with her face, but Kim took the number one spot! Her face was so plastic, she looked like Joan Rivers. Why do women think they look good like that? And with her comment about slumming it? Nice way to alienate yourself from the moms, Abby, as well as the entire state of Pennsylvania! What a wreck. Additionally, Kim is delusional. The new "Chloe" didn't dance circles around the team, but rather was OUTSIDE the circle. She's a cute little dancer, but IMHO, NO WAY fits in with the original team.

Just my two cents.
    mom2, GabbyG and mesachick like this.

I loved how Abby - after Kim sucked up and brought her those skin products and then walked away - whispered "But I don't want to look like her"

Just when I think the regular moms are awful, they bring in some new mom to up the stakes. Kim is horrid. I have to wonder if the producers egged her on. Why else would she make that "slumming" comment? What was the point of that? I think her daughter is a good dancer, but she's not the end-all-be-all and she definitely didn't fit in with Abby's girls. She really stood out in the group routine, and not in a good way. Part of being a great dancer in a group is learning how to fit in and dance as one.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Maybe Kim's daughter Chloe didn't fit in with the group, but wouldn't it take more than two days to find out how the other dancers fit together and adopt their style? I'm not a dancer and I"m sure a well-trained dancer could do it quickly, but two days of limited rehearsal doesn't seem like a lot of time. Plus she's not an adult, she's still at a student level. Couldn't it be that given more time, she would find her way?

Just curious.

Personally (not counting new Chloe's mom, because she'll be gone soon), I like the mom's more than I like Abby. I find Abby's behavior atrocious and wouldn't let her near my children, I don't care how many dancers her studio turns out.

Talk about an obvious plant. Trash talking the moms is one thing but attack Abby or her studio, thus her "reputation!", and they are not going to last.
    Hate hate hate to see the upcoming Kelli/Abby fight.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread