+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Brooke will turn 16 at the end of this month. Paige is 13.
    The other girls:
    Chloe: 12 (with a birthday in May)
    Nia: 12 (with a birthday in June)
    Kendall and Maddie are both 11
    Mackenzie will be 10 in June

I tried to watch the premiere and, as usual, ended up muting most of it. As rude as the other moms are, Payton's mom (can't remember her name at the moment - Nicole?) is even worse. That woman just can't keep her mouth shut. I don't think Payton is that great of a dancer, so she's obviously being kept around to amp up the drama.

There's only a year's difference in Maddie and Mackenzie's ages? I would have guessed more, given how they're portrayed on the show. I wonder how soon it will be before Mackenzie and Maddie will have to compete in the same division with one another when it comes to solo work? I would think that could be difficult for them, as sisters, to have to do that, though, in general, I am impressed by how well the girls handle their relationships with one another, given all the chaos that surrounds them.

I also wonder how much longer some of the mothers/kids will continue on with the show. Holly seems a little more grounded than the other moms and to want her daughter to have a solid education beyond dance, which is understandable, given her background as a principal and given how short even a successful dancer's career can be. In two years or so, Nia will be ready for high school. Will she want her to continue to be spending so much time on the show if it distracts from other opportunities? Personally, since Holly has recently mentioned that Nia is interested in other aspects of performing too, I think she might find a more general theatre experience valuable. Her dance/movement ability would certainly still be helpful there, especially in musicals, but she'd be able to explore other avenues of performance too.

FORT Fogey

I just flipped past the latest episode of Dance Moms again. The trio won "pre-teen" even though Paige is thirteen and thus a teen. The group dance was also announced as a pre-teen jazz group, even though Brooke, Paige, and Peyton are all teenagers.

They either are waiving certain rules for ALDC, which isn't fair, or the competitions they go to have different ideas about what "pre-teen" means.

Also noticed again that Abby referred to taking first in half their areas as 50% and failing. In baseball, if you hit .500, you're considered exceptional. I think whether that's "failing" or not depends a lot on the number of entrants, their competition, how much time they actually spent on the routines that week etc.

I did notice that once again, this week, Nia went to Abby on her own and asked what she could do to improve. She really strikes me as mature for her age, despite all the immature behavior she's seen exhibited around her (and I don't mean by the other girls). She may not be the best dancer, but she's always been one of my favorites because of her behavior.
    mom2 likes this.

Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: the trio - Paige's birthday is in November, so it's likely she was only 12 when the competition took place.

I have no idea what the competition rules are with respect to ages, so I can't comment on the group number. Maybe they average the ages

ETA: Tilden - Mackenzie and Maddie are nearly 2 years apart. Maddie's birthday is in September.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing there is an absolute cut-off date for the birthdates. Not a similar situation, but when I did Angel Tree, if the child was 13 years old by January 1 (even if they had just turned 13), they were not eligible for services/gifts. One lady really gave me the blues about that when I had to tell her "No."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm guessing there is an absolute cut-off date for the birthdates. Not a similar situation, but when I did Angel Tree, if the child was 13 years old by January 1 (even if they had just turned 13), they were not eligible for services/gifts. One lady really gave me the blues about that when I had to tell her "No."
    One of the local colleges here had a student group step up to pull together Christmas gifts for teenagers who had aged out of the Angel Tree. It worked out pretty well, because the college students were still close enough in age to the teenagers to understand their situation, so to speak, and wanted to help out, so it wasn't that hard for them to get others to chip in on the gifts. There's also a similar program to Angel Tree here for nursing home residents, to make sure they all get some kind of holiday gift.
    GabbyG and Kiz like this.

Kiz

Goodness knows there's plenty to not like about Abby and the moms, but I was particularly disgusted that Abby, at an airport, told Mia to sit in a wheelchair in order for Abby to move up from zone 3 to boarding first. Sickening behavior, and a horrible example for Mia.
    bamafan likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Aside from the wheelchair thing being just wrong and rude and all of that, didn't they mention a season or so ago that part of the reason Holly got Nia into dance was that she had a medical condition that, for a while, made it difficult for her to walk, to the point that her parents were worried that she might not walk again, much less dance? If I'm remembering that correctly, Abby was also being completely inconsiderate of how that might make Nia feel personally and the memories it might dredge up--not that it wouldn't have been wrong to tell any child to do that, of course. It's just that it might have been even more painful for Nia.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    One of the local colleges here had a student group step up to pull together Christmas gifts for teenagers who had aged out of the Angel Tree. It worked out pretty well, because the college students were still close enough in age to the teenagers to understand their situation, so to speak, and wanted to help out, so it wasn't that hard for them to get others to chip in on the gifts. There's also a similar program to Angel Tree here for nursing home residents, to make sure they all get some kind of holiday gift.
    I was speaking more to definite cut-off dates for age-qualifications than whether or not the kids got gifts/clothes but, since you brought it up, there were other organizations that would also help provide, if necessary. Age wise, there has to be a definite stopping point. If you just go with a number, a person could be either more like 12 years old or, virtually, 14 years old.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

All youth sports have age qualifications. In some sports, your age is set for the season based on a certain date (team sports) and in some you "age up" on your birthday(individual sports). Because most dance companies learn one routine and compete that routine for the whole season, I would assume ages are set at a certain date. Also, I don't know about all their competitions but I know some girls who competed against ALDC in New Orleans last year and they had to follow all the same rules as everyone else.

TMZ is reporting that Kelly was arrested for assaulting Abby. I'm not surprised AT ALL. It was only a matter of time before one of those moms snapped.
    'Dance Moms' Star -- ARRESTED For Cat-Fighting Abby Lee Miller | TMZ.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread