+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 116 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Like Tree756Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I could not believe how much the girls have grown. So why is Abby advertising for new dancers? Could it be that these current girls have aged out of the junior division?
    mom2 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I could not believe how much the girls have grown. So why is Abby advertising for new dancers? Could it be that these current girls have aged out of the junior division?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

FORT Fogey

I thought you only had to have a certain percentage of dancers under a particular age to still qualify for the junior division. Wasn't Abby always harping about how Kathy kept Vivi in her junior group, even though she was treated largely as a prop, just to keep the overall age of the group down?

Now, if Abby resorted to doing that herself, it would be hypocritical, but that's not really something that has bothered Abby much in the past.

When I was dancing, ALL members of the group had to be under a certain age to be in the junior division. At one point, we we're put in a senior division because one member of the group was over the junior division age limit. Maybe they've changed the rules or they're just different for the competitions ALDC competes in.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Brooke has got to be at least 16 and I am almost positive most of the other girls are in their teens as well. If nothing else is on I might give it a watch, maybe. The screaming & yelling just get me.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The season premier is tomorrow night at 9.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    When I was dancing, ALL members of the group had to be under a certain age to be in the junior division. At one point, we we're put in a senior division because one member of the group was over the junior division age limit. Maybe they've changed the rules or they're just different for the competitions ALDC competes in.
    I was just going by what I remembered from past shows, when Abby harped about Vivi (for whom I feel extremely sorry, because I just don't think she's all that interested in dance but her mother just keeps forcing an interest in it, even though Vivi no longer even dances with her mother's troupe) being used to keep the overall age of the Candy Apples entries down. I wouldn't doubt that what you're indicating isn't what really happens--it certainly would make more sense--and that the ALDC competitions are simply handled "differently."

FORT Fogey

Brooke has got to be at least 16 and I am almost positive most of the other girls are in their teens as well. If nothing else is on I might give it a watch, maybe. The screaming & yelling just get me.
    I happened to catch a few minutes of a pyramid this morning as I was channel surfing, and I definitely heard Abby say something about how Brooke had danced with the senior group and had finally danced like a fifteen year old. I checked, and it was an episode from last season, so, yeah, it would make sense that Brooke was sixteen or very nearly that at this point. Aside from Mackenzie, I'd think all of them are in their teens or very nearly there. I think Maddie started out on the show as a nine year old, so perhaps she's still twelve, but I'd think she'd be getting close to thirteen.

I also thought it was a little much for Abby to say Brooke had "finally" danced like a fifteen year old when she continually puts her in a troupe with much younger girls. How is she supposed to dance like a fifteen year old when she's not dancing with people her own age?

FORT Fogey

I find myself just tuning in for the last portion of the show, when they show the actual dancing, because there's typically much less yelling then. Though, frankly, there have been enough seasons at this point that some of the choreography is getting a little stale, because you can guess ahead of time how Abby's going to choreograph for the various girls, who's going to get a solo and who's not etc. I was stunned when Maddie was allowed to do a tap routine and she talked about how she likes tap, is good at it etc. Well, geez, if she has skills in more than one area, let us see them and let her explore them. If she really wants a career in dance, I'd think the more forms of dance she can excel in, the better.

Brooke will turn 16 at the end of this month. Paige is 13.
    The other girls:
    Chloe: 12 (with a birthday in May)
    Nia: 12 (with a birthday in June)
    Kendall and Maddie are both 11
    Mackenzie will be 10 in June

I tried to watch the premiere and, as usual, ended up muting most of it. As rude as the other moms are, Payton's mom (can't remember her name at the moment - Nicole?) is even worse. That woman just can't keep her mouth shut. I don't think Payton is that great of a dancer, so she's obviously being kept around to amp up the drama.
    bamafan likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread