+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree756Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I can't see why anyone would hold anything against any of the little girl dancers. They aren't nearly as annoying to me as some of the kids on Toddlers and Tiaras. I haven't seen every episode, but they don't seem to talk back, and they don't seem to be mean to each other.

In fact, I really feel sorry for Chloe. She seems very on edge. I think between her mother and her dance teacher, she's not really getting any joy out of dancing. I think the fact that she bursts into tears so easily is just her way of dealing with the tension. Plus, every time I see her, I imagine my mother seeing her and insisting on cooking her a meal. I know she's probably thin because of metabolism or her dancing or both, but my mom worried about everyone having enough to eat--the family reunions on her side of the family were epic in terms of the amount of food everyone brought; at one reunion, some kids from another reunion who happened to be sharing the shelter house with us and who had been playing with my younger cousins all day long just went through our line at supper and we didn't even notice until their parents got all embarrassed about it, particularly since the kids announced, aloud, that they'd done it because we had better food.

Kiz

Minney, when I read you're previous comment, I immediately thought of that quote from Abbey about how her business was doing in Pittsburgh, so I'm glad you enjoyed the articles. I only read the original article and hadn't looked for the TVGuide interview, where the quote was lifted, so I learned some new info too. Abbey seems to be taking this all in stride, but it does floor me nowadays when someone is shocked at the way they're portrayed on reality TV.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

You know, I have great sympathy for anyone facing tough economic times, but unless Lifetime is tossing a ton of money her way, I wonder if this deal is really going to benefit or damage the Abby Lee Dance Studio long term. She's willingly letting them misrepresent what he does. Maybe the photographic pyramid is something the show made up, but she went along with it, so she can't really say it's something she would never do. She's done it now, even if it was someone else's idea. She can say doing a new routine for all the competitions is a crazy idea that no one would do, but now she's done it. If she went along with all of Lifetime's ideas in order to save her studio, that was her choice, but now that she's made that choice, she has to live with the consequences of it--and so do the mothers who agreed to let their children be put through something that is, in Abby's opinion, "crazy." Unfortunately, so do the little girls, who had their choices made by adults who may not have put what was best for them first.

I have to say watching about two and a half hours of this show tonight... I am really creeped out.

Please note - I am not too familiar with the names so I will be doing generalities. I do know that the head dance mistress is Abby.

The mothers are too demanding of Abby, but Abby also gives as good as she gets.

I do think there is obvious favoritism for a certain dancer. If a girl is eight, I don't care if she's an older eight, she needs to compete in her age group. She's NOT of the age range, which isn't fair to the competitors in that age range. But, I can't blame Abby nearly as much as I can the competition who is being too flexible with the rules.

NO mom should be allowed to demand a child change out of a costume shortly before a dance. I have LITTLE DOUBT that it ruined the girl's dance, and sorry to the prissy mom, but yes, you ARE to be blamed. She also was a showoff for that casting director and ruined the other mom's performances. Again, LITTLE DOUBT that if any of the other moms did that they'd been chewed out by Abby or the one who did it.

Christi - the only mom I know by name - really? You are more concerned about a dance contest than your grandmother you so love? If I were in your shoes, I'd taken Chloe with me and gone to check on my mom. Dance competitions will be around, but your loved ones won't be, especially at that age and with COPD.

In fact, I nearly did that when my father had a mild heart attack, but my parents both assured me that he was all right and that it'd been better for his health if I waited one more week due to the 8 hour drive to home (He didn't need the stress of worrying if I'd be a safe driver in that weather and worried all the way). But don't doubt I didn't try to drop everything and head over that very day.

The scene stealing mom's reaction to the woman who wanted to go to her graduation instead of do a little dance? REALLY? You were a scene chewer, and I agree with the mom who didn't do it - walking to get your doctorate and all the decorations that go along with it is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than a stupid dance that you were going to intentionally screw up anyway for your little glory trip.

The moment one of the lollipops broke, they should've ALL been taken out. I do agree with the moms that it does draw attention - good or bad - to the dancer without the lollipop, and in the case of dancing the star usually doesn't have the props. Or if they insisted on the lollipops, there should've been backups (but really - the shape for a lollipop Abby is a ROUND shape - you gave them POPcicles).

Seriously... what bugs me the most is that all of them get paid quite well to make fools of themselves. Sad when people who work hard such as I do (including many days in high heat and freezing temperatures) gets paid far less than a bunch of ninnies who complain over many petty things and really don't know how to pick their fights.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Holey moley this last episode, I don't even know where to start. I thought the "where have all the children gone" routine was really amateurish. That won? Really? I didn't see much dancing going on but then again there really seems to be much dancing. I look at these routines and I think about the kids I've seen just around here and they are so much better (then again I do live in the same area as Travis Wall's mothers studio....so we have some amazing dancers around here).

I really don't like any of these mothers. I watch this show for the girls and well for Abby. I've come to sort of like her, it has to be hard dealing with these women on a daily basis!

Cathy really needs to go away. I sort of liked her in the beginning but now I think she's crazier than the others, she's just gross and forcing her daughter to dance when the kid clearly doesn't want to? It's just wrong. What else was wrong was what she did to Brook, inexcusable. If she had a problem with it, she should have said something right away instead of completely sabotaging the girl.

Christi is pathetic, if I already had no respect for her I would have lost it with her decision. The girls could have gone alone, I'm sure they have before, she should have been with her grandmother if she really meant that much to her.

I don't think Abby's favoritism is misplaced, Maddi is the best one there but more than that she is also the only one who puts in 100% without ever whining or complaining. All the others have and so have their mothers. Many of these instructors (couches whatever) will have favorites, some are a little better at hiding it. However, I think she (Abby) is fickle and as soon as Nia or Chloe really start stepping it up? You will see Maddi replaced.

Christi...it's sad and pathetic that you are so jealous of an 8 year old girl. You are turning your daughter into a bitter and nasty person, just like you. You can see it. I bet if Christi didn't spend so much time whining, crying, being jealous of Maddi that Chloe would never even notice. Christi is one of those who is never happy, never satisfied, and always comparing what she has to what everybody else has....she will turn her daughter (who is gorgeous right now both inside out and out) into the same as her.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I'm glad someone else felt that the Where Have All the Children Gone? routine wasn't that impressive. I just didn't see the amount of dancing in it that we've seen in some other numbers. Did the two kids on the swing set even dance? One was just pushing the other on the swing, and then suddenly they were gone. I'm generally pretty good with symbolism, but if Abby hadn't explained ahead of time what that number was about, I'm not sure I would have gotten it, and it looked like a lot of the audience was confused too. I wish we'd seen some of the other numbers it beat to take first place. I'd have preferred seeing them to watching the botox discussion/session. I thought it was more than a little ridiculous that everyone was assumed to need botox by forty. Honestly, I couldn't even see some of the wrinkles they were complaining about. Instead of botox, why didn't they just have a spa day or something? A good facial can make you look rejuvenated too, but it's a lot less expensive and invasive. I also didn't like the attitude they gave the woman who said she liked her wrinkles. If someone doesn't want to have botox, it's her business. Maybe she likes her wrinkles or is concerned about the side effects or would just like to spend her money on something else.

I do feel kind of bad for the little girls who never get solos. I get that Abby wants the best dancers out there to pile up the points for her studio's reputation, but isn't part of the point of competition for little kids to get them used to winning and losing graciously? Or just getting competition experience under their belts so they can eventually get better at it? I do think Maddie is very good, but I agree that she should compete in her age group--even for the studio, that was kind of dumb, because if she'd won her age group and Chloe had won hers, then they'd have two wins to contribute to the studio instead of one win and one second. I also didn't like Maddie saying that she always wins, even if she does. She should be encouraged to be more humble about it than that, because there will come a day when she won't be the one who always wins. That day comes for all competitors.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

This is by far one of the most scripted reality shows on tv... ever! After reading some of the articles linked here (thanks!) I better understand Abbey and her reasons for doing the show, but the producers haven't done a very good job of covering up the obvious; such as the fact that none of the dances have been great yet they still place high or even win at the competitions. For those of us who have participated at some of these same comptetions, we know that the level of dance that generally wins is much higher than these girls are putting out. Typically a group performs and competes at an "average" age group of their dance team. Given some of the young dancers on this line and only one 13 year old, they must be competing against very young ages, which does explain how they might be winning.

I don't believe IRL, the mothers are jealous, drunks or drama queens (well, ok, maybe drama divas!)... they are playing their assigned roles.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While Maddie may be the best dancer, Chloe does execute some beautiful lines. Can't help but wonder if Chloe went to another studio, with her talent, if she would be the best, what with her training she already has. Abby cannot be the only game in town and, possibly is not the only good teacher.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    While Maddie may be the best dancer, Chloe does execute some beautiful lines. Can't help but wonder if Chloe went to another studio, with her talent, if she would be the best, what with her training she already has. Abby cannot be the only game in town and, possibly is not the only good teacher.
    I like Chloe, I think she is beautiful and a great dancer. However, Abby once said that the mothers are ruining their children. Many of us thought she was ridiculous for saying that, I no longer think that way. Christi is ruining Chloe. No matter where she goes, no matter where she dances, I can almost guarantee that the same scenario will play out. The problem with Chloe's dancing is her mother, not Abby. If Christi would just back off, I bet Chloe would become much better not to mention Chloe's relationship with Abby would improve.

I bet it's hard for Abby to teach Chloe and not think about how much she can't stand her mother. I bet it's even harder to not let a tiny bit of that come out. I have no doubt that when Abby tells Christi "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." She is really hoping that the woman will take her up on it and just leave.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Of course, it probably really benefits Chloe to watch Maddie. She can glean valuable information/tips from being around Maddie. Seems like you, as a studio owner, could lay down a law that the mothers aren't allowed to watch the classes, except at very narrowly specified times. Inteference should not be part of the school fees.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread