+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 114 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree739Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I read online that neither the Dance Moms nor their daughters are paid to be on the show. The girls cannot be paid for the show because if they were paid they would be considered professional dancers and couldn't compete in dance competitions. Has anyone heard that before? Makes sense, I guess, but It surprised me.
    You are right however in the "professional dancer" issue though.

And sadly - apparently they are treated differently as apparently children in reality tv shows are not seen as actors therefore they get an exemption under Child Labor Laws. If this show was in California or a few other states, they would have to be paid.

Does get me about the Moms though - AND if they're not paid, why do they stay on the show if Abby treats them so bad? (Well I know - Abby's contract, but the Moms could demand the show pay off the contract - or try, and get out of there).

Maddie was paid for her role on Drop Dead Diva wasn't she? So the kids can be professional actors, but not professional dancers? So confusing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    Critical - - was that 2nd place boy better than Paige?
    Okay, I watched the episode and YES, the boy who got second place has better technique than Chloe, or at least he showed his technique better than Chloe did. Chloe is a lovely dancer, but she always seems a bit sleepy on stage to me. I didn't think his routine was all that great, but he performed the heck out of it. I think he's more expressive on stage as well. I feel like Chloe may need to work on her muscle strength so that she can really express more power in her extensions. She's got long limbs, so it's hard to really give that power the way that Maddie does and the way that boy (whose name I still can't remember) does.

The thing about boys is, that if they get to that level, they're usually pretty good. The ones who aren't, get discouraged. Unfortunately, boys in dance still have a deal with a lot of teasing. If they don't really love it, they usually drop out.
    GabbyG and jenniferboston1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Sometimes this show just makes me sad - Abby calling Paige down from the stage to be talked to by Cathy's abusive dance teacher. And worse, Abby lying about how she approached it.

Now that Asia's dances are more age appropriate - she is so incredible. What energy!

How bad was that staged conversation between the young boy and Vivy? I think Vivian should get her own show. 'Vivy's world'.
    mom2 likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Sometimes this show just makes me sad - Abby calling Paige down from the stage to be talked to by Cathy's abusive dance teacher. And worse, Abby lying about how she approached it.

Now that Asia's dances are more age appropriate - she is so incredible. What energy!

How bad was that staged conversation between the young boy and Vivy? I think Vivian should get her own show. 'Vivy's world'.
    But then wouldn't it have to be called Vivy's World as told my Cathy?

I really am not a huge fan of this show but am addicted to watching it....sigh!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think I could stand to listen to Vivi's speech impediment.
    GabbyG likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Does anyone else desperately want to get Vivi to an allergist? She's got what seems to be a perpetual case of the sniffles, and she's complained that her eyes itch and she doesn't know why. Cathy's big reaction was to say she didn't know why either. Good grief, itchy eyes and a cold that never seems to go away are classic signs of allergies. Get the kid checked out, even if it's just to eliminate allergies as a possibility. And if allergies are at work, she'll feel (and probably even sound) so much better if she's not constantly congested.

The more I see of Vivi, the sorrier I feel for her. Her mother clearly has decided she's not much of a dancer, and maybe she isn't, but then instead of trying to make up reasons for her to tag along, why doesn't she let her explore something else she might like to do and that she might have some talent for? Does she have to be interested in dance just because her mother is?

I also noticed Brooke brighten up considerably when talking about singing as opposed to dancing. Maybe she'd be happier if she spent more time on singing and less on dancing. I'm not saying I think she has a huge future in music, but I'm not so sure she has one in dance either, so if they're just going to be avocations, as opposed to vocations, why shouldn't she spend her free time on the one that makes her happier? Isn't that what hobbies and extracurricular activities are supposed to do for you? Be something you genuinely enjoy doing, regardless of how successful you are at them? Why do these kids have to be focused on having careers already?

I went to that video and how depressing if it's true - I have no reason to believe otherwise since it was Abbi herself talking. I knew it was scripted, but not to that degree. And still horrible that she would take out her frustrations that neither she nor Christi have no say (about Chloe being on the team) on Chloe, and not the producers or any other adult.
    Chloe and Christie were on the way out when they were chosen for the show. Brooke and Paige don't dance except for the cameras, more hate about Kelli, nothing about Holly or Jill or their kids. Maddie is not the favorite, it's a boy, then another girl, so she's down on the list. The only reason she got Ally and Sophie was because her regular dancers were in the parking lot with their moms not dancing. Cathy is an okay beginning teacher, but not advanced. The show took Abbi's idea of dance dads and gave it to Cathy which still kills Abbi Lee. It was because of Justice, who left anyway.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I went to that video and how depressing if it's true - I have no reason to believe otherwise since it was Abbi herself talking. I knew it was scripted, but not to that degree. And still horrible that she would take out her frustrations that neither she nor Christi have no say (about Chloe being on the team) on Chloe, and not the producers or any other adult.
    Chloe and Christie were on the way out when they were chosen for the show. Brooke and Paige don't dance except for the cameras, more hate about Kelli, nothing about Holly or Jill or their kids. Maddie is not the favorite, it's a boy, then another girl, so she's down on the list. The only reason she got Ally and Sophie was because her regular dancers were in the parking lot with their moms not dancing. Cathy is an okay beginning teacher, but not advanced. The show took Abbi's idea of dance dads and gave it to Cathy which still kills Abbi Lee. It was because of Justice, who left anyway.
    Am I the only one who's lost? What video are you talking about?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Just as confused....but really want to see this video!!

+ Reply to Thread