+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Like Tree813Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I don't think I see sexuality but, then again, I am not looking for it.
    Nor was I ... as I mentioned I wasn't fond of Asia on that other show for reasons I cannot put my finger on. Perhaps this is it.

Asia seems kind of a cross between a pageant child and a dancer.
    I am not fond of kids dressed and being coached to act like adults.
    I'm not fond of pets dressed like humans either.
    mom2 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't think I see sexuality but, then again, I am not looking for it.
    Because I DO see it doesn't mean I'm looking for it. I'm a little offended by the insinuation. The way she moves - the booty stuck out, the pouting, the little shimmies - is sexual and it's inappropriate for a child to be choreographed that way. It's obviously something she was taught from very young because she sure didn't learn it from Abby. She dances like she's a Pussycat Doll and she danced that way in the previous show we saw her on.
    mom2, sclilred1 and mesachick like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Because I DO see it doesn't mean I'm looking for it. I'm a little offended by the insinuation. The way she moves - the booty stuck out, the pouting, the little shimmies - is sexual and it's inappropriate for a child to be choreographed that way. It's obviously something she was taught from very young because she sure didn't learn it from Abby. She dances like she's a Pussycat Doll and she danced that way in the previous show we saw her on.
    I agree! I noticed it right away and I definitely wasn't looking for it. I wouldn't even expect it, especially from an 8 yr old. So it was quite shocking, as well as very inappropriate.
    Critical and sclilred1 like this.

I don't look for it and I don't want to see it.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

I believe I mentioned once before how happy I was to see Asia behaving like the rest of the girls while waiting for their group scores. She had a natural, age appropriate expression on her face at that point, and I was happy to see it. But I agree that when she performs--and during her "confessional" moments (or at least some of them) on Abby's summer show--she seemed abnormally mature for her age, as if she's been coached to behave that way, and I don't find it appropriate or "cute." It just makes me somewhat uncomfortable--and I don't think I'm looking for it either. It's just there. I liked the description of her seeming like a cross between a dancer and a pageant kid, like some of those on TandT.

I also wonder how she will be perceived as she gets older and all the emphasis on her faces/performance presence isn't necessarily as precocious as it once was. Kind of like how some kid actors don't have careers past age twelve or so, unless they seriously reinvent themselves.

Speaking of which, I, too, was discouraged to hear Maddie say that dance came first, before school. She's so young. A million things could happen to keep her from having a dance career, and even if she has one, dancers' careers are so short. It would be smart to have something to fall back on, and if she's already thinking of school as secondary to dance...well, that doesn't bode well. Of course, in a year or two, she might also change her mind. As I said, she's so young. Maybe having nothing but home schooling and dance won't turn out to be enough for her after all, and she'll start reconsidering whether dance really should come first, before everything else.

I do like how Holly is far more realistic about the need for education. I think that she knows that Nia is not likely to have a huge career in dance. Heck, I don't know that even Nia expects that. Maybe she doesn't even want that. But I fully expect that whatever Nia chooses as a career path when she's older, she'll be ready for it.
    mom2 and Photobabe like this.

So they are heading to The View. Did anyone see the show when it actually aired? I had no clue, but then again I only watch The View on rare occasions.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    So they are heading to The View. Did anyone see the show when it actually aired? I had no clue, but then again I only watch The View on rare occasions.
    Yes, I saw the show when it originally aired. Abby was super awkward as the guest host. She kept trying to make jokes, but only she laughed at them. If I remember correctly, she helped with Sherri during a product segment where they looked at new "hot" products on the market. It was pretty cringe worthy.

The performance was great though! Mackenzie was in the dance, but they showed Asia in the audience. Then, when they talked to the group briefly (super briefly), Asia came up and was in a dress similar to what the girls wear in "The Last Text". I feel bad that they performed that dance because Paige was such a minor role since that dance was originally performed when her foot was broken.

FORT Fogey

I kind of wish they'd done the Rosa Parks number on The View. If Abby won't something that was socially significant, that certainly was, and since they'd done it more recently, it would have been fresher in the girls' minds. For that matter, I thought it was a more original idea, since texting and driving is being covered in all kinds of ways lately. Plus, they could have had Nia explain how she researched Rosa Parks for the dance, which would have been neat.
    mom2, beerbelly, GabbyG and 2 others like this.

Her hosting and the dance is on you tube
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I think the reason I don't really enjoy watching Asia dance is that her technique and style are really specific to one type of dance. I just don't think she's very versatile. She's fine in the more modern, hip-hop type styles, but I don't think she's do well in contemporary or lyrical numbers, which are Abby's bread and butter. Yes, Abby tends to be weak on hip-hop (which makes me wonder why she thought Asia was a good fit to begin with), but she gives those kids good, solid technique, so they can handle pretty much any style of dance. I'll be curious to see if Asia can be integrated well into the group numbers once Mack is back in the group.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread