+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Like Tree815Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I don't understand how Abby can be a compassionate caregiver for her Mom, and have loved that little Baby dog so much ... yet she can be downright cruel with these kids.

Maybe she should be a dog trainer or a pet therapist in a health care facility instead of teaching children.

I do understand that in the real world they wont be coddled ... but her method of teaching isn't something I would choose for a child ... or a dog for that matter.
    GabbyG likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Mackenzie and Asia are in 2 completely different leagues of dancer. Personally, I like seeing something different within the company. I think Asia is a little more further developed that Mackenzie, especially in her personal style.

I also preferred Chloe's dance over Maddie's.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think McKenzie is much more appealing as a dancer. I didn't like Asia on Abby's competition show either. She dances too maturely and not in a good way. I find it disturbing when a child that young seems sexualized. That dance last week was only missing a pole. Whenever I see her dance, I hear a friend's little girl saying "HOOOOOchie mama."

Chloe is a lovely dancer, but she's not in Maddie's league. She's just not. Maddie's technique is superior to any of the other girls. Really though, what sets Maddie apart is her performance level and her energy. She does every step fully. A lot of the time, Chloe just looks like she's marking....or tired.

The whole homeschooling thing is really upsetting, especially since the homeschooling "expert" (who looked like she may have just graduated from college) who came to speak with Melissa and the girls doesn't seem to have a grasp on English grammar. I cringed when she suggested to Melissa that "Me and you" should go to a homeschooling seminar (or whatever it was). Good grief. I was also troubled when Maddie talked about how school comes before dance. Of all the kids on the show, she's the most likely to have a professional career, but that's still a short period of time. I absolutely agree with Holly about why the girls should NOT be home schooled. There are definitely valid reasons for home schooling, but this isn't one of them.

Abby wanting to cut up American flags to make costumes =

I'm amazed at how short Brooke looks now. The other girls are going to tower over her soon.
    Minney, mesachick and Photobabe like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Mackenzie and Asia are in 2 completely different leagues of dancer. Personally, I like seeing something different within the company. I think Asia is a little more further developed that Mackenzie, especially in her personal style.

I also preferred Chloe's dance over Maddie's.
    Asia has the wrong personality for this team. On the show that Abby judged ... as I recall, Asia was one who acted "entitled" and was a bit of a stuck up brat.

Mohandas Gandhi

I totally disagree. "Entitlement" and "stuck up brat" are terms that speak to intent. At her age, Asia is more concerned with pleasing her mother and Miss Abby, and making friends. Her training has been different than where she is now, but not much different since she can execute what she needs to execute, and understands the dance terms. Her musculature is amazing. Her ethnicity and her body build are different, and that's a good thing. Asia does not fade into the group, which is also a good thing; she stands out, and there are people (judges/teachers) who appreciate what she brings to the floor. People who are different and stand out and can pose a threat are usually given a hard time by viewers who don't want to see change and people who feel threatened by what they can do.

Kristie Ray is used to having to protect her child, and keep her spirits up. I like their relationship, so far.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Asia is an amazing dancer. Really loved her 'war' dance and I agree with Critical that when she dances sexually it makes me uncomfortable.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I totally disagree. "Entitlement" and "stuck up brat" are terms that speak to intent. At her age, Asia is more concerned with pleasing her mother and Miss Abby, and making friends. Her training has been different than where she is now, but not much different since she can execute what she needs to execute, and understands the dance terms. Her musculature is amazing. Her ethnicity and her body build are different, and that's a good thing. Asia does not fade into the group, which is also a good thing; she stands out, and there are people (judges/teachers) who appreciate what she brings to the floor. People who are different and stand out and can pose a threat are usually given a hard time by viewers who don't want to see change and people who feel threatened by what they can do.

Kristie Ray is used to having to protect her child, and keep her spirits up. I like their relationship, so far.
    I may have chosen the wrong words. I don't recall "liking" Asia on that other show, but I wouldn't describe myself as one of those "viewers who don't want to see change" . What I was saying s that Asia doesn't really seem a "fit" with this dance company. Abby said her intention was to have Asia as MacKenzie's counterpart or balance ... I can't remember the exact phrase but it wasn't working? That was because mostly of Mackenzie's injury.

It is a competition team and we haven't seen Asia as part of a group dance ... or a duo/trio. If she stands out too much ... that takes away from the group presentation, correct? I guess we'll learn more as time goes on.

I am NOT picking on a little kid ... and I do like that Asia's Mom stands up to the other Mom's.

Let me repeat that I know nothing much about dance techniques, etc., so I do appreciate the viewpoints of those who do know something about it, as well as the uneducated like me.
    Last edited by echo226; 04-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Mohandas Gandhi

Echo - I had the same impression of Asia on Abby's competition series. I definitely think the attitude of the mother - especially when it's arrogance, like we see with Asia's mom - will affect the child's behavior. Kristi talking about how "everyone" knows how Asia dances was ridiculous. I don't think every new mom that comes into that group needs to bow down to the long-timers, but the statements she makes about her kid are just arrogant and, frankly, they come off as insecure. I don't know what these women think being nice makes you a pushover. They all seem to think they have to go in with guns blazing.

Really, Asia's technique is OKAY. Her performance ability is good, although I think it's much too hoochie for someone so young. Like I said upthread, I find the oversexualized movements (including the swayed back), which seem to just be ingrained in her, really disturbing. You know Abby didn't choreograph that way; it's just the way Asia moves because she was taught that way by previous teachers. I guess some people like it when little kids dance like adults. I find it really inappropriate. Some of the moves Abby has the group do are a little too mature, but nothing on the level of what I've seen Asia do, especially on the competition show last summer (or whenever it was)

I think the kids that Abby has taught long-term have much better technique. For me, there's no comparison between Maddie or Chloe and Kendall. McKenzie is shaping up to be a dancer on the level of Maddie within the next few years. Her dancing has improved so much over the course of this series. While I do think Asia may have the edge on McKenzie with respect to stage presence, I think McKenzie has a much more solid base as far as technique. I can see McKenzie becoming a better dancer than Asia as they both mature. As far as who I'd rather watch on the show, it's McKenzie. That kid is hilarious.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Really, Asia's technique is OKAY. Her performance ability is good, although I think it's much too hoochie for someone so young. Like I said upthread, I find the oversexualized movements (including the swayed back), which seem to just be ingrained in her, really disturbing. You know Abby didn't choreograph that way; it's just the way Asia moves because she was taught that way by previous teachers. I guess some people like it when little kids dance like adults. I find it really inappropriate. Some of the moves Abby has the group do are a little too mature, but nothing on the level of what I've seen Asia do, especially on the competition show last summer (or whenever it was)
    I completely agree, except I would go as far to say that her dance if too hoochie for even a teen or adult dancer. Unless the dancer is on a stripper pole that kind of movement is inappropriate.
    Technically, Mackenzie is a better dancer now and I think will continue to be as well. Asia has her in the performance department, but she actually needs to tone it down a bit I think.

Mackenzie is Maddie, made over. We can even see what Mackenzie will look like in a few years; as sisters, none of this is a surprise.

I look forward to seeing the effect that being with ALD will have on Asia. Asia is certainly not one to just "Do The Hokey-Pokey", that's for sure.

I don't think I see sexuality but, then again, I am not looking for it.

+ Reply to Thread