+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree766Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Kiz

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I think there's something to Maddy's mom ensuring that Maddy has advantages. Why did they only get their music at 8:30 the night before the competition when supposedly there was a week to get it made? She has said she's in charge of most of the things behind the scenes, so I could see her delaying some things over others.

That being said, there was no excuse to have a screaming fit like that in front of the kids.

I hope Abby doesn't ream that girl who forgot her routine. If what we saw was true, she didn't have time to practice the night before.

Vivi's mom. LISTEN TO YOUR CHILD!! She doesn't want to dance. You just want Camera Time. Get over yourself.
    That's a valid point about the music. I wondered about that too. Although, I think Abby would also be upset if Maddie's mom was purposely sabotaging the other girls since in the end, as Abby has said, ultimately, it's her reputation and livelihood that's on the line if her girls don't perform well.

I was also surprised that Abby threatened to take Chloe's national award away from her after the big fight with the mother. First, if the award has been won by Chloe, how can she take it away, and second, why in the world would she punish the Chloe for her mother's actions. Also, that sounds like a pretty empty threat, because I would think nat'l titles are a feather in Abby's cap, and she wouldn't take one away from her portfolio, unless she's a cut off her nose to spite her face kind of person.
    Last edited by Kiz; 08-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Cathy drives me crazy!!!!! Glad she's not my mother!

Kiz

Interesting interview with Lifetime exec and a short comment from Abby.

PRESS TOUR: Lifetime exec defends 'Dance Moms'
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I think the disorganization at Abby's studio has everything to do with her. If she was more organized, the girls would have their music well ahead of time. I'm shocked that they're expected to learn a routine going only on the counts. Sorry, but even professionals rehearse with the music. Look at SYTYCD - they get 6 days and I assume they have their music the whole time.... and they are all adults.

Saying that she's preparing those little girls for a professional audition process seems a bit delusional and premature to me. In a few years, many of those girls will probably quit dancing. Plus, an audition is much different from a competition. Professionals know that repetition is the key. Throwing these girls into the deep end isn't fair and, as we saw this week, it can totally backfire. I felt so sorry for that little girl who forgot her routine. That never happened to me, but I used to have nightmares about it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ummmmm......Christi? Aren't there other dance studios around you can tote Chloe to? How can you be mean to little children?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is a marathon starting at 3 p.m. on Saturday.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've heard that Melissa doesn't just work behind the desk, she is co-owner or something. Abby did this show for the money and exposure. She was interviewed as soon as it aired and asked if it was standard operating procedure to compete with a 1 week old routine. She was also asked if the pyramid was standard. She literally snorted and said heck no. The producers forced them to do these things because they thought that the viewers would be bored seeing the girls doing the same thing over and over and over. Times are tough, dance lessons are an expendable luxury item, her studio was on the verge of going under. She even alludes to it a number of times during her talking-head segment. Producers come knocking and she sees a chance to try and get some more exposure and make some cash for her studio (my speculation as to why she did the show).

Abby and the others knew what they were signing on for, unless a person lives under a rock, they know about all the things producers do to create a "reality" show.

I feel sorry for the young girls who got caught up in their mother's obsessions with being on the big TEEVEE.

Poor Paige, instead of blaming Abby, I'm going to blame her mother for putting her in that position in the first place.

Cathy - I go back and forth with her. One minute I like her and the next I am convinced she's the spawn of Satan. I was nodding when she told those Dance Mom b***hes that she wanted nothing to do with them. I wouldn't either. I'd be scared of people thinking I was like them since I was friends with them. Those women all have issues and they are definitely not people I'd want to be associated with.

Then she ruins it by making some comment about how she doesn't understand why they don't like her when she's tried so hard to fit in (paraphrased). Really? Is that what she calls that little thing she did when they went to eat? Fitting in? I really can't stand when people don't own their cattiness.

I don't think Melissa is intentionally malicious, I think she's just dumb. She probably couldn't figure out how to work the computer or something.

Christi is the most pathetic of the bunch. If she's so worked up about Maddie getting extra time? Then how about PAYING for extra lessons? Oh wait, she thinks she should get them for free because she's so fabulous, wonderful, and never ever whines/complains/makes the lives of those unfortunate enough to be around her miserable.

Holly is a fake, a fraud. She needs to stop putting on these airs and acting like she's not down there wallowing in the crap with the other messed-up b***ches on this show.

And yet....I can't stop watching this disaster.

It's for the girls, my cold, hard heart melted a little when Maddie and Chloe hugged one another and exchanged "I love you's". Clearly, in spite of the attempts of everybody around them these girls truly like one another and they are gifted dancers. I watch for them and I watch for Abby. I don't hate her as much as everybody else does, seeing the crap she has to deal with from these moms? I don't blame her at all for being the way she is.

Who throws a tantrum at an event in front of the children anyways? Oh right, a raging lunatic alcoholic is who.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think the disorganization at Abby's studio has everything to do with her. If she was more organized, the girls would have their music well ahead of time. I'm shocked that they're expected to learn a routine going only on the counts. Sorry, but even professionals rehearse with the music. Look at SYTYCD - they get 6 days and I assume they have their music the whole time.... and they are all adults.

Saying that she's preparing those little girls for a professional audition process seems a bit delusional and premature to me. In a few years, many of those girls will probably quit dancing. Plus, an audition is much different from a competition. Professionals know that repetition is the key. Throwing these girls into the deep end isn't fair and, as we saw this week, it can totally backfire. I felt so sorry for that little girl who forgot her routine. That never happened to me, but I used to have nightmares about it!
    I've only seen portions of a few episodes, but even from the little I've seen, it seems to me that some of those little girls are already quite clear about the fact that they don't see dancing as a professional career they'd want to pursue--as the one little girl said, she doesn't want to go to Broadway. She'd rather stay at home and eat chips.

As for the little girl who froze, not only didn't she get her music in time, but wasn't she also the one who said she'd never done a solo before? A lack of experience plus a lack of preparation isn't going to end well. Even when she was first assigned the solo, she wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it and said it scared her a little. Perhaps she just isn't someone who particularly likes to compete or doesn't want to be a competitive dancer. There's no reason everyone has to be interested in competitive sports/dance. Some people just prefer to be involved in an activity for the joy they get out of doing it and turning it into a competition destroys that for them. I know that if they became professional dancers, they'd have to do auditions, but if they just do it as an activity while they're younger, they're more likely to be in club/studio shows for audiences that wish them well, correct? If some of them don't want to do competitions, is it really such a big deal?

My piano teacher never had recitals, because years before I began taking lessons from her, a little girl she was teaching froze on stage like a deer in the headlights. She had to be led off the stage. That naturally rattled the rest of the kids/parents, but worse, the little girl never came back for another lesson, even though she appeared to enjoy playing piano. Moreover, her mother told my teacher that she refused to play at all after that. My piano teacher, who was just teaching kids in a small town, none of us necessarily planning on careers in music, was horrified, because she felt what was most important was that her students should learn to play and take pleasure in doing so, so they would continue to do so as adults, even if they never played outside of their own living rooms. And, truthfully, there were other outlets for those of us who were comfortable playing in public--church services, school choir concerts etc. Recitals weren't absolutely necessary, and if some of her students never played in public, what did it matter, really? It certainly didn't mean they learned nothing of value from their lessons.

Anybody watch? Thoughts?

I wonder if Holly is really gone? Maybe she got smart and realized that this probably wasn't a good image for her. Without her, will they kick her daughter out? Since that poor child isn't on the same level of Maddie/Chloe. I heard that the reason Brooke is in there and the group seems so odd is because they were the only ones who agreed to be filmed.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Anybody watch? Thoughts?

I wonder if Holly is really gone? Maybe she got smart and realized that this probably wasn't a good image for her. Without her, will they kick her daughter out? Since that poor child isn't on the same level of Maddie/Chloe. I heard that the reason Brooke is in there and the group seems so odd is because they were the only ones who agreed to be filmed.
    Maybe I'm naive, but I really think Holly was truley busy with obtaining her doctorate.

Christi is insane, and I feel badly for her daughter(s). I like Melissa too, and I really don;t believe she's malicious.

+ Reply to Thread