+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 114 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Like Tree739Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

If financial success is the goal, pretty much NO parent would want their child to be a professional dancer.
    GabbyG likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought on the first episode this season Abby mentioned that she had 6 routines for them to learn and most of them didn't show up to learn them in the off season - summer.

I thought the solos were learned at the last minute, but having no dance background I am taking it all at episode face value.

It's interesting to me that the only competitions they seem to attend are the in10sity ones. Are they banned from others or do they have a contract with this group?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I thought on the first episode this season Abby mentioned that she had 6 routines for them to learn and most of them didn't show up to learn them in the off season - summer.

I thought the solos were learned at the last minute, but having no dance background I am taking it all at episode face value.

It's interesting to me that the only competitions they seem to attend are the in10sity ones. Are they banned from others or do they have a contract with this group?
    They are banned from most competitions (well the camera's are banned). Some of them recently competed at NYCDA in Pittsburgh last weekend (or maybe two weekends ago) sans cameras.
    Most of the "competitions" they go to now are actually set up by lifetime and they are more of invitationals. They have real judges and everything but they will only invite certain studios to compete. If they want the dance mom's team to win then they won't invite the top studios in the area; but if they want ALDC to not place super high they will invite better studios. Most competitions have hundreds of dancers, but if you notice during the awards part there really aren't that many dancers on the stage. Thats because it's an invite only competition, not a real competition.
    mom2 and jadewarlock like this.

Poor Vivi (sp?). I'd like to see her five years from now..but she'll be a rebeller!

Quote Originally Posted by alex2155 View Post
    They are banned from most competitions (well the camera's are banned). Some of them recently competed at NYCDA in Pittsburgh last weekend (or maybe two weekends ago) sans cameras.
    Most of the "competitions" they go to now are actually set up by lifetime and they are more of invitationals. They have real judges and everything but they will only invite certain studios to compete. If they want the dance mom's team to win then they won't invite the top studios in the area; but if they want ALDC to not place super high they will invite better studios. Most competitions have hundreds of dancers, but if you notice during the awards part there really aren't that many dancers on the stage. Thats because it's an invite only competition, not a real competition.
    I know of one that specifically said the company itself is banned - I just cannot remember the name.

But this does explain a lot in regard to why it seems there are far fewer people at the competitions than what I know of. Good grief - I was at a speech and drama contest (4 school contest) that had dance and there were 31 individual acts.

Pretty good episode for once. I like the 2 hour format too because we are getting to see the entire dance numbers instead of just snippets of them. Abby barely raised her voice and worked well with kids. One thing is for sure, she choreographs some great routines, and those girls are crazy talented.
    beerbelly and bamafan like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I agree, mesachick. It was a great episode, although I think Kelly is becoming unhinged. I will say the outfit Abby picked out for Holly wasn't half bad, although the scarf was too big and took away from Holly's overall look. Still can't stand Jill and the Candy Apple lady is a freeze-dried whackaloon.
    beerbelly likes this.

I liked the idea of Holly's outfit, but she was way too covered up. You don't wear a huge blouse and scarf like that over a big voluminous skirt....unless, of course, you're Abby.The color scheme was great and I liked the necklace. It just made her look too old.

I can understand why Kelly was upset with Abby. Her reason for giving Paige the duet with Chloe was so rude. There was no need to say that. She could have stopped with how Paige and Chloe have always wanted to do a duet and now they're going to do one. Even so, Kelly's reaction made things worse. If she'd just brushed it off and laughed about how Abby is always saying rude things like that, it would have been over and done with. Instead, she kept bringing it up, which I'm sure made Paige feel great.

I don't even know what to say about Cathy. What a ridiculous woman. Poor Vivi. Her mother doesn't seem to a) have much interest in her and b) have any clue that her daughter doesn't want to dance.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    As lovely as Brooke is, she just doesn't seem to enjoy dancing. When she performs, there's no joy on her face. She just does the steps.
    It's sad, but the girl has no stage presence whatsoever. I've mentioned before that I don't know anything about dance, but it does seem that Maddie outperforms everybody. She just lights up the stage, and she's so fluid and graceful. I've read here that Chloe is a good dancer, but to me she lacks personality and star power. She was good as the Black Swan awhile back, but I still think she's a boring performer.
    Starbucks880 likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I agree Cathy is a total nut job. I feel bad for her daughter that's for sure. The outfit for Holly was - ok. I think she looks better in a v-neck type of outfit, but what do I know lol. As for Chloe being a good dancer, I think (for whatever that's worth) that she's really just now starting to come in to her own. Maddie is still the best dancer/performer of the bunch though. I hope we get to follow her career as she grows up. How cool would it be to see her on SYTYCD in a few more years!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread