+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Like Tree770Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Of all the girls, I think Maddie is really the only one I see who could definitely have a career in dance. She has the drive and the ability. It's just a question of whether the adults in her life ruin it for her. I danced with girls who were really good and loved dancing until the adults in their lives pushed them too hard and took all the enjoyment out of it.

That guy Abby went on the date with was CREEEEEPY. He totally just wanted to be on TV. He had no interest in Abby. I was a bit disturbed by her flirting. Way over-the-top. I guess we know now why they didn't follow-up on the whole speed dating thing last week - no one was interested. I'm not surprised. Every man who sat across the table from her looked pretty alarmed.

I liked the hip hop number. If they'd had more than 3 days of rehearsal, they probably could have won. When will Abby understand that the reason they're not coming in first isn't because the girls don't want it badly enough, but because they simply need more rehearsal time? When I competed in those types of competitions, it was with routines we'd been doing for MONTHS. While professional dancers can pick up things more quickly, when you're young, you need more time for the steps to become almost a muscle memory so you can focus on the performance aspects of the routine. No matter what Abby does, Kendall's face is just going to be dead because she's focusing on remembering the steps.

Maddie really stood out in that hip hop routine. Any time they did a long shot of them all on stage it was Maddie who was really emoting and selling it.

If Jill really cares about getting Kendall to the top, she'd get that kid into ballet classes to work on her technique. Maybe she is, but if so, it's sure not showing.
    GabbyG, Starbucks880 and mesachick like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How much that we don't know is left on the cutting-room floor of this show? I am sure the time is skewed.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

One of the mothers said that the kids only had 3 days to learn the group routine in last night's episode and there have been other mentions of the short time frame in previous episodes. I'm sure tons of footage ends up on the cutting room floor, but I don't believe they're getting weeks to learn new routines. If they were, I'd expect them to be much better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think it is ridiculous for Abby to expect those very young girls to correct their moms. Seriously, imagine doing that with your mom, mine would have been sure to tell me that she was the boss of me and not the other way around.

It's not unusual for children to put pressure on their mothers to achieve a desired end. Mothers aren't built the way they used to be! WE knew not to challenge our mothers' authority.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It's not unusual for children to put pressure on their mothers to achieve a desired end. Mothers aren't built the way they used to be! WE knew not to challenge our mothers' authority.
    Oh you got that so right! My 88 year old mother had to move in with me for 8 weeks...she finally went home last Friday. In those 8 very longgg weeks she grounded me, sent me to my room for watching too much sports, gave me a bedtime & a curfew (9PM). I humored her to a point but dang I am a grown woman & this is my home! I felt 12 again.
    candor, mom2, mesachick and 1 others like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fan

The last couple of shows seem a little different to me. Christi is absent from the other group activities the ladies do with Abby....speed dating and going to see Abby at the nail salon in prep for her date, for example. There seems to be definite distance between Abby and Christi. Add to that, in the most recent episode, Abby sending the girls out of the room so she could yell at the moms without the girls being present. It makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

I can no more keep these womens' names straight, or even remember what they are, to save my life. I remember most of the other names, and Abby, of course, is unforgettable. I know who Holly is, but she and Nia are unique to the show. Most of the rest are a blur. The young ladies are memorable, but putting them with the right mothers can throw me....not that I really care!

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I think it is ridiculous for Abby to expect those very young girls to correct their moms. Seriously, imagine doing that with your mom, mine would have been sure to tell me that she was the boss of me and not the other way around.
    I would have been picking myself off the floor if I tried to correct my mom and told her what to do. There was no question she was the boss. Even my father said she was the boss, not that I would have dreamed of challenging him either. Also, I remember one episode Abby acted as though if the mother didn't want the child there to dance, then that child could go to the father and have the father bring them--it might have been one of Kelly's children. I would also have never dreamed of going behind my mothers back and getting my father to work against her.

I liked the hip hop routine this week. It was full of mistakes, but it made me smile and entertained me. I also liked Maddie's routine. I haven't watched this show from the beginning, but usually it seems as though Maddie dances the same routine every solo, so it was refreshing to see something different.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    One of the mothers said that the kids only had 3 days to learn the group routine in last night's episode and there have been other mentions of the short time frame in previous episodes. I'm sure tons of footage ends up on the cutting room floor, but I don't believe they're getting weeks to learn new routines. If they were, I'd expect them to be much better.
    I'm pretty sure they don't learn the dances in 3 days. I think they learn a lot of routines at the beginning of the year and then save them for whichever week Abby decides they will be performed. They then relearn/perfect the dance over the 3 days before the competition.
    Most studios will perform the same routines at every competition throughout the competition season, but lifetime makes them do different dances each week because it would be boring for the tv audience so see then dancing the same dances week after week. This does make it more difficult for them, but not as difficult as them make it seems.
    It's also rumored that this might be why at the beginning of the season Maddie didn't have any solos--she was busy learning them. Now Maddie is back doing solos so it's Chloes turn to be in trouble so she will not receive any solos because she is in the process of learning new solos.
    sunnydayz likes this.

+ Reply to Thread