+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 116 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I was seriously disturbed with the last part of this most recent episode.

Seriously, Cathy, Abby and Jill were WAY out of line with the water fight and purse hitting.

Not only are both now seen as assault in the real world (and I hate saying that for a stupid thing such as throwing water, but this is our society today), in REAL life this wouldn't happen.

The moment Cathy walked into another company's warmup/makeup room - some cases even afterward, they'd be disqualified.

I'm in my 30s, and I behave better even in my worst mood. I know of 21 year olds with more maturity than these gals.

Seriously - give ME the money they're making and I'll teach them better - and mind you I have NO solo experience except move to the music and have good lines. I got sixth with that skill alone - these girls have better skills and could win.

I mean - it's to the point that I wish they'd whistleblow this as fast as they have Teen Mom.

That whole bit with Cathy was beyond bizarre. And then with Cathy trying to play the victim? Stupid woman, she's the one that walked in to Abby's room and created the scene in the first place. I don't like Abby, but I'm not liking Cathy either. There must be come kind dance instructors out there right?

So happy that Maddie finally got a solo. Abby is insane from keeping that little girl from dancing.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Regular

Sore losers...sore winners...all around...
    mom2 likes this.

The only good role model I've seen so far is Holly. I like the moms, but Christie and Kelli harping on Abby's weight when they screech at her is beyond ridiculous, Melissa simpering and sucking up is no good either, and Jill is just delusional. Neither Abby nor Cathy exhibit good sportsmanlike behaviors, especially in front of the girls - and now boys. The one time I saw anything from Cathy is when she was congratulating the moms about the texting and driving dance. She talks down to her daughter all the time, and that makes me cringe so I can imagine how Vivi feels.

Glad Sophie's mom got her out. I know she was probably just doing a favor, and wanted no part of that abuse around her daughter.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Honestly, I'm not so sure it's so much about the abuse with Sophie's mom as it is about the studio poilitics. Abby and the moms don't exactly put their best foot forward.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Sophia and her mother also don't particularly need Abby or her dance studio. She's clearly already getting offers elsewhere, which is what Abby keeps braying about--she produces professional dancers. Well, Sophia already is getting the jobs that Abby claims she gets for dancers, so why bother with Abby? Not to mention the fact that they don't live in the area, so even getting to Abby's is an effort. I wonder if Sophia and her mother used Abby just as much as Abby wanted to use them--they got a little more television time for Sophia, got her some more exposure, decided it wasn't the best they could do in that area, and moved on.

I used to think Holly was the only decent mother in that group, but now I'm starting to wonder, given that she's exposing Nia, who apparently has real issues with stress and anxiety that result in physical pain, to Abby, who's a walking, rasping source of nothing but stress and anxiety, except for the rare occasions on which she decides to bestow some praise on her favorite of the moment. Realistically, particularly given her medical situation, Nia probably isn't going to become a professional dancer. Very few little girls who start out in dance end up making a living at it, including little girls who have some talent and training for it, because there are too many other factors involved, not the least of which is that there just aren't that many jobs out there for dancers. Maybe Nia would be better off at another studio where she could still learn and grow as a dancer without feeling the pressure to make Abby's reputation for her.

And yes, last week's episode was particularly disturbing in terms of the total lack of maturity showed by some of the alleged adults involved. I've never been involved in competitive dance, but I can't believe that these competitions wouldn't have rules about basic civil behavior and that if they were violated that those who violated them wouldn't be asked to leave and be disqualified from the competition. Certainly I would think that after a pattern of such behavior became public knowledge that those engaging in it would not be so easily welcomed back--or so easily accepted at other competitions. I'd feel sorry for the dancers if that were the case, but it would serve people like Cathy and Abby right.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The good part is that Nia and the other dancers are learning discipline and other skills/abilities that will probably serve them well, in the future. A lot of trainings are not just limited on one area of your life.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ooohh love everyones posts, can't wait to watch last epi!

I know people have questioned/wondered why people watch this show. I enjoy watching the girls dance...being a mom of boys (wouldn't trade for the world), we don't get to see/watch too many girl things around here. Yeah, Abby is over the top and the moms sometimes act just as irrational, but unfortunately, it's not just dance companies with that problem. Some coaches and parents are crazy in all sport areas. It's crazy and sometimes gets too personal (as we see on Dance Moms).

Chloe is spectacular IMHO, who cares if acrobats isn't her forte? Brooke always looks bored and sullen to me. MacKenzie is the cutest little moppet!
    mom2 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Ooohh love everyones posts, can't wait to watch last epi!

I know people have questioned/wondered why people watch this show. I enjoy watching the girls dance...being a mom of boys (wouldn't trade for the world), we don't get to see/watch too many girl things around here. Yeah, Abby is over the top and the moms sometimes act just as irrational, but unfortunately, it's not just dance companies with that problem. Some coaches and parents are crazy in all sport areas. It's crazy and sometimes gets too personal (as we see on Dance Moms).

Chloe is spectacular IMHO, who cares if acrobats isn't her forte? Brooke always looks bored and sullen to me. MacKenzie is the cutest little moppet!
    I think the only really enjoyable part of the show is watching the girls dance and watching them interact with each other, because, in spite of everything, they seem reasonably supportive of one another even if they also compete against/with each other, which can be very difficult to do.

It's also clear that the different girls excel at different things, which is normal. I just wish Abby would acknowledge that. Good heavens, even in the professional dance world, not everyone is equally good at every type of dance style. Getting the girls to try different styles in order to expand their horizons and help them decide what aspects of dance are their forte, physically and emotionally, is great, but to demand that all of them excel at every style (and getting furious when they don't) is ridiculous.

I think Brooke has been showing very clear signs that she's getting to the point where she's questioning whether dance is as important to her as the commitment it takes in terms of what she feels she's losing out on by focusing so much time and attention on dance. She's had injuries too, and maybe it's beginning to dawn on her that the chances that she's going to have a career in dance that will be lengthy and rewarding enough to make up for missing out on other things which, to her, are also attractive options are not as great as she once thought they might be. She's a teenager now. A lot of teenagers discover new interests and gradually let go of old ones. In Brooke's case, however, it may be harder to do that because of the pressure Abby, the show, and just plain making such a huge change in her life may put on her--and she may resent that, hence the sullenness.
    jadewarlock likes this.

FORT Regular

I agree about Brooke, except I think she is also using the exposure on the show to open up some doors. It sounds like its her mom's wish as well, as obviously Kelly would rather not be there, but asked Sophia's mom about agents. Haven't both Brooke and Paige started some kind of online singing on youtube? We'll see where it takes them, but I can tell that Brooke would rather be a tonne of places elsewhere. Oh Abby...you make it too easy for the girls and their moms not to be motivated to be there and seek other pursuits - especially if you constantly bark at all of them!

+ Reply to Thread