+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by CharmingFrock View Post
    And what is wrong with these stupid mothers who keep leaving and bring their daughters back to be abused? Honestly, I feel like calling CPS.
    Three words:

Iron Clad Contracts

The moms erred by signing them without probably seeing if there was a note in there saying if they could remove the children from this without penalty. If there wasn't they should've demanded that there was an inclusion.

Sincerely - I have read through - even 10 pages worth - on reality TV show contracts to ensure that if I entered the contest I knew what I was setting myself up for. With one exception - which is still being considered - I have turned down all of them because even if I'm qualified (in the case of "Project Accessory" when they did that - very qualified), I didn't like the fact that they basically could control my life worse that President Snow controls the Victors' lives in "The Hunger Games."
    GabbyG likes this.

I think that Candy Apple's is going to be a spinoff. I don't know a thing about dancing, so take it for what it's worth, but Kendall seems like a much better dancer than Chloe. It always seems that Chloe is following choreography and counting the right steps, but not dancing. Is that just my perception?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I think that Candy Apple's is going to be a spinoff. I don't know a thing about dancing, so take it for what it's worth, but Kendall seems like a much better dancer than Chloe. It always seems that Chloe is following choreography and counting the right steps, but not dancing. Is that just my perception?
    (I'm sorry, but) I think so. Kendall's technique is just not on par with Chloe's. Not even close. As much as I think Abby's attitude stinks, she teaches those kids great technique. You can see it in the girls she's taught from the time they were little. Kendall's feet and legs just aren't as good.

As much as Abby likes to bitch about Chloe, that kid has excellent technique. Her extensions and elevation are so good. Prior to this season I felt like she wasn't showing the kind of emotion she should, but she's really improved in that area, as evidenced by that award she won a few episodes back for showing (I think) a pure love of dance.

Abby LOVES using a la second turns (where the girls turn with their legs held straight out to the side). Watch the feet of various girls. Chloe and Maddie and several others have perfectly pointed feet and pointed legs. A lot of the time, Kendall's feet are just sort of vaguely pointed - she's not actively pointing her foot and leg and it's really noticeable. I find myself cringing when I watch Kendall. She's a good little dancer, but I always feel like shes marking and not dancing full out. Abby's commented on that before and I agree with her.

I'd be thrilled if Cathy got her own show as long as that meant I never had to see her on this show ever again. Nothing sends me reaching for the mute button faster than that woman's voice.

I was amazed last night at how tall Paige has gotten! When they were lined up for pyramid she looked like she was as tall, if not taller, than Brooke.
    mom2, GabbyG, sclilred1 and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've also noticed how Nia's body is changing and maturing. She is growing up right before our eyes.
    mom2 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

I was surprised to see the backstory on Nia, with the (NRD was it?) neurological disorder making her unable to walk three years ago, apparently brought on or aggravated by stress. Could there be a more stressful dance environment to have Nia in??? Makes no sense to me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I was surprised to see the backstory on Nia, with the (NRD was it?) neurological disorder making her unable to walk three years ago, apparently brought on or aggravated by stress. Could there be a more stressful dance environment to have Nia in??? Makes no sense to me.
    I had the exact same thought. Certainly there are other ways Nia could explore her love of dance that would be less stressful and more supportive. I've often thought that because showing personality while dancing is one of her assets that she might have a good time in community/children's theatre productions. Granted, any kind of performing can have anxiety issues related to it, but I've done a lot of school/community theatre, and I've never had a director as abusive as Abby is (and if I had had one, I would have walked straight out of the theater after telling the director exactly why I was doing so).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    (I'm sorry, but) I think so. Kendall's technique is just not on par with Chloe's. Not even close. As much as I think Abby's attitude stinks, she teaches those kids great technique. You can see it in the girls she's taught from the time they were little. Kendall's feet and legs just aren't as good.

As much as Abby likes to bitch about Chloe, that kid has excellent technique. Her extensions and elevation are so good. Prior to this season I felt like she wasn't showing the kind of emotion she should, but she's really improved in that area, as evidenced by that award she won a few episodes back for showing (I think) a pure love of dance.

Abby LOVES using a la second turns (where the girls turn with their legs held straight out to the side). Watch the feet of various girls. Chloe and Maddie and several others have perfectly pointed feet and pointed legs. A lot of the time, Kendall's feet are just sort of vaguely pointed - she's not actively pointing her foot and leg and it's really noticeable. I find myself cringing when I watch Kendall. She's a good little dancer, but I always feel like shes marking and not dancing full out. Abby's commented on that before and I agree with her.

I'd be thrilled if Cathy got her own show as long as that meant I never had to see her on this show ever again. Nothing sends me reaching for the mute button faster than that woman's voice.

I was amazed last night at how tall Paige has gotten! When they were lined up for pyramid she looked like she was as tall, if not taller, than Brooke.
    I don't know what you do about dance, but ITA about the growth Chloe's shown in her ability to perform and emote, which was recognized by the award she won that Abby totally ignored, which is interesting, since if I recall correctly, Abby used to harp on Chloe for not showing enough emotion. Clearly Chloe has worked on that and gotten better at it, but that doesn't matter to Abby. Only winning matters to Abby, even if she's busily setting up her dancers to lose by not providing them with enough time to develop a dance and become comfortable with it before performing it. Every week it's another competition and another group dance plus solos, duets, or trios. That's a lot to expect of anyone, particularly a bunch of young girls.

And I don't like Cathy any better than you do, but I did notice one thing about her on Tuesday. When she went through her pyramid, she actually bothered to say something positive to each boy on that pyramid, regardless of his position on it. Too often, Abby manages to throw out nothing but criticism, even to the girls nearer the top of the pyramid.

FORT Regular

Cathy and Abby are no where close to being on par with their teaching abilities. Abby noticed right away that one of Cathy's boy dancers (I think the one who did the solo) would be better suited to another dance style. Though Cathy is out to "win", the fact that Abby has won many competitions, shows how much more better she is as a teacher, and that Cathy has to grow as a teacher. But Abby's unconventional approach to teaching will only bring the morale down from her group of girls in the long run, and may cost them some future wins.

FORT Regular

On another note, I compare Abby to Janelle's mom on Teen Mom 2. Her mom is constantly yelling at her for stuff, never good enough, literally screaming at her for sleeping in, for example, and Janelle, though having had good grades, has been diagnosed with bi-polar. Abby is exactly like Janelle's mom when it comes to "talking", and I really wonder the long-term affects of the girls when they get older. I think they are learning to compete, but they are also learning some serious emotional issues. No amount of fame would be worth putting my child through that. My daughter is almost 2, and it's scary to think that I would put her in a dance company with Abby as a teacher and to grow up in that environment.

Mom's! Cut your losses now, and SAVE your daughters from more abuse! There are way more other opportunities for your daughters to seize in a dance career and to grow in a positive way. It's abusive for Abby to threaten that she is the only one who can create successful career dancers. So before the mom's lose THEIR sanity, step in and change, change, change!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by freefragrance View Post
    On another note, I compare Abby to Janelle's mom on Teen Mom 2. Her mom is constantly yelling at her for stuff, never good enough, literally screaming at her for sleeping in, for example, and Janelle, though having had good grades, has been diagnosed with bi-polar. Abby is exactly like Janelle's mom when it comes to "talking", and I really wonder the long-term affects of the girls when they get older. I think they are learning to compete, but they are also learning some serious emotional issues. No amount of fame would be worth putting my child through that. My daughter is almost 2, and it's scary to think that I would put her in a dance company with Abby as a teacher and to grow up in that environment.

Mom's! Cut your losses now, and SAVE your daughters from more abuse! There are way more other opportunities for your daughters to seize in a dance career and to grow in a positive way. It's abusive for Abby to threaten that she is the only one who can create successful career dancers. So before the mom's lose THEIR sanity, step in and change, change, change!

I would argue that Jenelle's mom has shown some progress this season in trying to control her temper and attempting to praise Jenelle when she deserves it. She's certainly not perfect, but she's better. I don't see any progress at all from Abby. If anything, she's gotten even nastier.
    freefragrance likes this.

+ Reply to Thread