+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 114 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Finally watched this weeks episode and Abby is really starting to look unhinged and the young woman who works for her is looking like an idiot for agreeing with her. I'm ashamed to admit I am now watching for the time when Abby gets what is coming to her and I don't mean some idiot singing fatty fatty two by four.

How horrible! I finally watched this after hearing about it, and that woman is awful. I would never take a child of mine to a place like this. It's far too stressful for those llittle girls, you could see the stress on their faces while their mothers fought with Abby.

Ugh.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    How horrible! I finally watched this after hearing about it, and that woman is awful. I would never take a child of mine to a place like this. It's far too stressful for those llittle girls, you could see the stress on their faces while their mothers fought with Abby.

Ugh.
    I agree with you 100%!! She is a mean mean woman. You don't talk or treat children the way she does. And as far as the "best" teacher around, um how can anyone say that when she can't even do the moves b/c she is too heavy. So for her to criticize these kids for things she can't even do herself is awful. The mothers that allow their kids to be treated like that are insane. I'd pull my kid in a heart beat after I read her off and told her a few things
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I used to love watching this show when it first started. I loved seeing the girls dancing(not that I am weird or anything) but I did love to see just how much they enjoyed being on stage.
    It started to get tougher to watch once Abby & the Moms became "stars" and the show focus was on them instead of the girls.
    I have sons so we never had a dance coach but they did play sports, let me say this, if either of my boys had a coach that was that abusive to my child, other children or myself it would not have worked & we would have left the team.
    Life is too short for that kind of treatment. The chances of my either of my children becoming professional, as I would expect any of these girls being on Broadway, are 1 in a billion. When you give 9 year olds "jobs" it is too much.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I wish they would keep the cameras on the girls when they perform instead of cutting away all the time for "reaction shots" ... I don't care about anyone else's reaction, I wanna see them dance.
    GabbyG and Photobabe like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Agreed. I find the cut-away shots really manipulative. We have NO idea if there's any correlation between what's going on in the audience and what's going on onstage. My feeling is that there's VERY LITTLE correlation between the two.

After several season, they still have not figured out how to film dancers. All those silly off-kilter close-ups annoy me too. I think SYTYCD does a crummy job too, so I don't know why I'd expect more from this show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I'd be much happier if they showed a lot more of the girls interacting as well as dancing. Every time I see them together, I think how much more mature they seem than the majority of the adults around them. For instance, in the most recent episodes, one of the girls--Kendall, I think--was telling two others, as they were about to go out and perform their solos, that no matter what happened, they should all be supportive of each other.

It worries me that these girls are being taught to seek out the approval of someone who is clearly verbally abusive of them when they don't perform to her expectations. Abby doesn't correct, she berates. These are little girls--nine, ten, eleven most of them--and as Christy has pointed out several times, Chloe has been at that same studio since she was two. It scares me to think what a decade or so of growing up in a system like that could do a girl who's eager to please, as Chloe seems to be.

The previews for next week really looked like they were hitting a new low, though I was pleased to hear that one man--father of one of Kathy's dancers, I think--tell Abby loudly and firmly, and without the use of obscenities, that you do not talk to children like that. And if the preview didn't just include a siren and the comment that Abby was going to work herself up into a heart attack as a red herring, it wouldn't surprise me if Abby collapsed. She's way too high strung, she yells so much that she's obviously stressing her voice, and she's overweight (I'm not being unkind--just stating a fact). All of those can contribute to an increased possibility of cardiac problems.

Okay, I checked and found a dance studio in Pittsburgh staffed with qualified dance instructors from excellent dance programs....Park Point and Otterbein. The Thomas Dance Company South. Looks like a happening studio. http://www.thomasdance.com/ Abby DOES have a couple of qualified dance teachers, but mostly not. Faculty | The Abby Lee Dance Company. I think doing undergraduate work helps with limiting dance injuries, for which competition dance companies are renowned for. Just saying.

And what is wrong with these stupid mothers who keep leaving and bring their daughters back to be abused? Honestly, I feel like calling CPS.

I know several people who say this is one of the few tv shows they watch. I had tried to watch it awhile back and didn't understand the amusment, but I gave it another shot and tried to watch it again last night. I'm not sure I get it. I don't understand why a viewer can watch these young girls be so verbally abused and not be very upset. And also it's abusive for them to see their mother be verbally abused. How can you teach a child to have self respect and respect for others when you subject them to such horrific behavior?

Okay, I'm done. I am now quite confident in my position regarding the show. I will continue to avoid it. No offense to those who love it and blog about it.

Is there something I missed?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I know several people who say this is one of the few tv shows they watch. I had tried to watch it awhile back and didn't understand the amusment, but I gave it another shot and tried to watch it again last night. I'm not sure I get it. I don't understand why a viewer can watch these young girls be so verbally abused and not be very upset. And also it's abusive for them to see their mother be verbally abused. How can you teach a child to have self respect and respect for others when you subject them to such horrific behavior?

Okay, I'm done. I am now quite confident in my position regarding the show. I will continue to avoid it. No offense to those who love it and blog about it.

Is there something I missed?
    Nope, I'm with you. The way these girls and their moms are treated is horrible. I don't know what this lady thinks is so special about her, but I don't see it. I wonder how she would like if it someone spoke to her daughter/mother like that????
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread