+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Additionally berating the girls for not following choreography and saying if they were on Broadway and didn't follow it they'd be gone? - well true, to a point.

People as mentioned are human, they will forget their routines.

Secondly these girls will probably NEVER make it to Broadway and even those who could she's berating them and punishing them (because she hates the moms) to death that she's going to make them LOSE interest in even trying.

I'm honestly HONESTLY seeing Maddie start to give up - even if slowly - because of this.

Finally - school is more important, having a life outside of dance is more important. Abby's getting paid if the girls skip out a dance day or not.

Hopefully the girls will continue to have the support of their moms - who are more encouraging to them than Abby truly is.

But I will say that the contracts the Moms signed for them and their daughters must be watertight and dipped in gold pressed latinum for them to not just up and walk away from this studio. I would if I had one day like Abby's given them - there is pushing for results and there is berating to bullying. Abby is the latter.
    GabbyG likes this.

I loved Maddie giving Kendel the pep talk before going out on stage. I may not like Maddie's mother, but she is obviously doing something right.

I could not believe that the mothers went to Abby's house to clean her garage, I'd have told her to stuff the garage.

Loved that Sophie wasn't there for the competition, loved even more that Abby is taking credit for her success.
    mesachick and sunnydayz like this.

FORT Fan

This week Sophia was MIA because she had a part in a movie that was being filmed. Learning that gave me a little different perspective for she and her mom showing up on this show...not only did she get a part in a movie, but she got a part in a TV show too - Dance Moms. It'll be interesting to see how often they actually end up being on the show. Just another tool in Abby's belt to occasionally torture the other girls with, perhaps?

Really disliked the entire gossipy, run-around conversation regarding the duet, between Melissa, Abby, Jill, etc. Abby stirred that one up with a stick, big-time.

I, too, loved Maddie's pep talk. Love when we get to see the girls encouraging and supporting each other.
    Last edited by sunnydayz; 01-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.

All the nonsense with Melissa and Jill and the duet was so junior high. I wonder if they watch the episodes later and see how ridiculous they look. I don't think any of them have very much self-awareness. Why Melissa would lie about what she said to Abby is beyond me. It's not like Jill couldn't just watch the show and SEE what Melissa said. While it could have been interpreted as bagging on Kendall (which I think is warranted - she's not to Maddie's level), it could also be interpreted as just not wanting Maddie to do a duet instead of a solo.

I think it's pretty clear that Abby gave Maddie Kendall as a solo partner to punish her because Kendall is not as good a dancer. Even Maddie commented that the choreography was too easy and that she didn't feel challenged. Kendall isn't a bad dancer, but her technique is lacking. She did mess up in the group number and it was really obvious.

Obviously, Sophia did the show to further her career. No way was she ever going to be in that group over the long haul.

I'm always so impressed with the girls and how they support each other. I wonder how long that will last with all the negative examples they're getting from the adults in their lives.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I didn't actually watch much of Dance Moms last night, because I fell asleep during it (the additional PT hours are wearing me out, I think).

I do agree, however, that the girls have always impressed me with how supportive they've been of each other, no matter what goes on with Abby or their mothers. It's a real tribute to their characters that they seem to have picked up very little with regard to the sometimes abysmal behavior of the adults around them.

In addition, it's absolutely true that most of these girls aren't going to go on to Broadway. For most girls and boys, even the ones who are talented, dance ends up being an extracurricular activity. Maybe a very valuable one, in terms of what they learn along the way, but not a career. That happens for a variety of reasons--they lose interest, they have other talents they'd prefer to pursue, they get injured, they decide they'd rather not pursue a career that's potentially short-lived/unpredictable as dance etc. Abby acting as if they're all already pursuing a career in dance is a little much, as is her constant harping that they are responsible for her and her studio's reputation. They're little girls, many of them ten or eleven or under. She shouldn't be dumping the responsibility for her livelihood on their shoulders.

I felt really bad for Chloe last week too. The first thing she did backstage was apologize to her mother for letting her down, when her mother felt in no way let down by her. And Abby didn't even allow her to enjoy the special award she got from the judges for the way her love of dance shows in her performances. The fact that she was singled out by the judges for a particular aspect of her dancing should have been something she was congratulated for, and instead, Abby just berated her for what she did wrong and what else she needed to be doing to be as good as Sophia, her latest favorite. Personally, I feel sorry for Sophia. Yes, she's very talented, but her education is being sidelined to accommodate her dancing. What if she decides she doesn't want to dance or becomes unable to dance for some reason? She needs more than a couple of hours of school a couple of days a week or she's not going to have any other interests/skills to fall back on if she tires of dance or fails to progress at the same rate she's been progressing because her body betrays her.

Oh, yeah, and I totally understood Mackenzie having trouble with that stupid red carpet. I've had to unroll one of those at a wedding. First, there's really no way to practice that ahead of time, and when they're unrolled at weddings, they suggest two people--two adults--pulling on either side of the thing to make sure it unrolls straight and in a timely fashion. One little girl should not have been responsible for trying to do it on her own, and when it didn't work, she shouldn't have been punished for it by being dropped out of further group numbers. She was given a job to do that she had no opportunity to practice and that is generally assigned to two people. That's why she had trouble--and she did eventually get it unrolled and they still won anyway, so it's not as if her minor gaffe affected the routine.

I forgot about MacKenzie and the carpet, but you're right. Abby said that she was lucky the judges didn't DQ them for that; however, most judges I know use common sense and wouldn't factor in an obvious issue into the time. Meaning - unless MacKenzie did that for more than a minute or two... and admittedly I do not know as I didn't see that episode, they were going to give her a grace because only a MORON (and sorry but Abby was one here) would give the smallest and lightweight girl the task of unfurling at least a 20 pound carpet.

I mean even the judges could compute that.

And as far as the glaring error Kendall had with the group dance (which I too caught) I think Abby just doesn't watch all the dances that are performed in that group. I saw other groups with glaring errors too, and if enough do it they dance with the fewest errors wins. Again - based on personal experience I beat girls WITH dancing experience in a dance contest (speech tourney but still I was against big schools with dance teams and years of ballet). I advanced from a group of 30 I think to 6. Obviously I had errors but I did have enough of the proper skills and fewer mistakes that let me advance. (BTW I knew I wasn't going to win or place top 3 - I was happy to make finals, and even beat one group as one judge ranked me as fifth).

Thank goodness the girls do at least care about each other and for their moms and are tough overall (even with the few tears). I think they will succeed a lot longer than Abby's studio with some of her stunts.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I forgot about MacKenzie and the carpet, but you're right. Abby said that she was lucky the judges didn't DQ them for that; however, most judges I know use common sense and wouldn't factor in an obvious issue into the time. Meaning - unless MacKenzie did that for more than a minute or two... and admittedly I do not know as I didn't see that episode, they were going to give her a grace because only a MORON (and sorry but Abby was one here) would give the smallest and lightweight girl the task of unfurling at least a 20 pound carpet.

I mean even the judges could compute that.

And as far as the glaring error Kendall had with the group dance (which I too caught) I think Abby just doesn't watch all the dances that are performed in that group. I saw other groups with glaring errors too, and if enough do it they dance with the fewest errors wins. Again - based on personal experience I beat girls WITH dancing experience in a dance contest (speech tourney but still I was against big schools with dance teams and years of ballet). I advanced from a group of 30 I think to 6. Obviously I had errors but I did have enough of the proper skills and fewer mistakes that let me advance. (BTW I knew I wasn't going to win or place top 3 - I was happy to make finals, and even beat one group as one judge ranked me as fifth).

Thank goodness the girls do at least care about each other and for their moms and are tough overall (even with the few tears). I think they will succeed a lot longer than Abby's studio with some of her stunts.

That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask of those of you with more experience with competitive dance. How would Abby showing up with a completely different elite team a week after showing up with basically the same team she had the year before (with the exception of Ally replacing Brooke) and then showing up with the original set of girls with a new "star" the week after that be viewed? I wondered if that might make it look as if her dance studio isn't the most stable place, since the girls on the elite team were changing weekly. Or would it just make it look as if she had a deep stable of talent from which to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask of those of you with more experience with competitive dance. How would Abby showing up with a completely different elite team a week after showing up with basically the same team she had the year before (with the exception of Ally replacing Brooke) and then showing up with the original set of girls with a new "star" the week after that be viewed? I wondered if that might make it look as if her dance studio isn't the most stable place, since the girls on the elite team were changing weekly. Or would it just make it look as if she had a deep stable of talent from which to choose?
    It would depend on familiarity with the show honestly - I'm sure the dancers in the contest would question Abby with a totally different team when most of us know the current team. That said, it wouldn't be a cause to do anything more than do your best to compete and beat the "new" guys - which DID happen to Abby's ego shatter.

As far as the judges - it wouldn't matter if they cared or not: They have to remain neutral and see the team as another dance team. I would however like to be sure that there's no production interference in any case where the team can be DQ'd.

And honestly there could be the "she's just giving the team a break so they remain strong" thought that crosses their mind.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    It would depend on familiarity with the show honestly - I'm sure the dancers in the contest would question Abby with a totally different team when most of us know the current team. That said, it wouldn't be a cause to do anything more than do your best to compete and beat the "new" guys - which DID happen to Abby's ego shatter.

As far as the judges - it wouldn't matter if they cared or not: They have to remain neutral and see the team as another dance team. I would however like to be sure that there's no production interference in any case where the team can be DQ'd.

And honestly there could be the "she's just giving the team a break so they remain strong" thought that crosses their mind.
    I assumed the judges would have to remain as neutral as possible. What I was really curious about is whether that would hurt the studio's reputation with potential new students. As in, if Abby keeps changing her elite team and her "favorite" dancer so frequently, does that mean more people have a chance at dancing on that elite team or that there's a big turn over in dancers at her studio or that no one's ever able to feel confident that they have a definite place on the elite team? If I were a dancer, or a parent of a dancer, I guess those kinds of things would factor into whether I chose a particular studio or not--but then, I would I hope I would go into the whole process assuming the chance that I, or my child, would have a the slimmest of chances of becoming a professional dancer, because there are just so few openings and so many people gunning for them. I'd hope I could look at it more as a really good activity to be involved in, in terms of learning how to compete, how to win and lose graciously, how to keep fit etc., as opposed to thinking of it as a definite career move.

But then, having seen Dance Moms, there's no way I'd want to be associated with ALDS anyway, regardless of how much ALDS wins, because five minutes with Abby and her attitude would be too much for me. Heck, just that raspy shriek of hers would get on my last nerve very quickly.

I am curious--have any of the dancers at the Abby Lee Dance Company ever gone on to become professional dancers or even done Broadway or anything of the sort?

+ Reply to Thread