+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 114 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Like Tree739Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

This won't be popular, but I loved it when Abby ripped the Moms a "new one" and let them know who was boss and who was running the show!!! It's amazing how those kids seem to love her and be devoted to her. They absolutely live for her approval. Kids have a way of doing that kind of stuff to you.....you think you are 'protecting' your children, but they have totally different ideas of what they want and when they've had enough.

Our "little darlings" are soooo much more resilient than we think they are. WE are the ones with little resilience. It seems to be more about a struggle for control for the Moms.

I think Abby's issue is more about the WAY she presents things. That could use some tinkering with.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

I just watched the latest episode. Wow. Abby's taken her "pitting one dancer against the other" to a whole new level. Thank goodness for the judges giving Chloe a special "expressive heart" award. That was the only redeeming thing in the entire episode....and well-deserved.

I feel bad for Sophia. She's now in the place where Maddie was, at the top of the pyramid, Abby's favorite, with Abby fawning all over her, and using her as a weapon against the other girls. A tough place to be if you want to be a part of a team. The rest of the team will undoubtedly resent her at some level. There's no way around it. Abby knows that, and it's a main part of her MO...trying to get the girls to work harder and want to beat the one at the top. It may not bother Sophia or her mom, but I feel bad for them regardless.
    Last edited by sunnydayz; 01-16-2013 at 07:20 PM.

I am a teacher, and I hope that someone does something about Sophia's dismal education. 2 days a week for 2 hours is not acceptable, with all of the objectives children are required to master each year. Something may happen and she may not dance for a career. She needs the educational opportunities that are available for all. Whether she stays or goes, if her mom was serious I hope someone in charge where they live was listening.

Abby is a bully. It's not so bad when she takes on the moms, who can give it back to her. But there is absolutely no excuse for this "professional" to ever treat any student the way she is portrayed. I have to believe that when the director says "Cut!", she runs over and hugs the girls that she's just berated or bullied. Still, no excuse.

Christi is fast falling from my favorites list. I really hoped Ally stayed, I think they could all learn from her example. I know the moms could have learned from Shelly's example.
    LuckyMom and Kiz like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post

Christi is fast falling from my favorites list. I really hoped Ally stayed, I think they could all learn from her example. I know the moms could have learned from Shelly's example.
    I agree! Christi was always one of my favorites, but her attitude so far this season has been pretty bad. I actually am liking Kelly more though. Seems like she is trying to put her personal feud with Abby aside for the sake of her kids. We will see how long that lasts.

I feel like we haven't seen much from Holly yet this season. Actually, not much from Melissa or Jill either. It's been all Christi and Kelly.

I will say though that I still like Christi's relationship with Chloe. It seems like a sincere and solid relationship.
    mom2 likes this.

I'm happy all the "old" dance moms and their kids are back. Yes, I know Abby is over the top nasty at times, but the girls seem to want to be there.

I'm finding Sophie to be a bit creepy. She seems more contortionist than dancer. I watched some of her You Tube video and frankly, I found most of her dances got boring after the first minute or two. I'm guessing the only reason she is at Abby's studio is for the face time on a weekly TV show.
    She stretches for at least an hour every day and rehearses 25-30 hours a week. Isn't that a bit much for a 10 years old? And isn't four hours of school per week way too little time? I know home schoolers can get away with fewer school hours than kids sitting in a classroom but, the home school kids I know all get at least 15 hours a week of school, usually more than that.

I'm feeling sorry for this kid. It seems like she is not being given the opportunity to be a kid, to learn, to grow socially. What if she never develops the artistry to be a great dancer? Or she suffers an illness or injury that prohibits her from dancing?

As bad as the regular Dance Moms can be at times, I think they are wiser mom's than Sophie's mom.

Now, don't thow rotten tomatoes at me! It's just my opinion!
    GabbyG, bamafan, sclilred1 and 1 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

FORT Fogey

I wondered about Sophia's schedule at her age as well. I know that for young athletes--gymnasts and skaters, for instance--sometimes doing too much too fast ends up causing injuries that you'd not normally see in children their ages, sometimes career ending injuries.

As for the girls adoring Abby, it's not clear to me that they do. They also seem very afraid of disappointing her at times. Unfortunately, sometimes young girls can be very into people-pleasing and will do nearly anything to get that stamp of approval from those in authority. Again, that's caused real problems for young athletes who've been pitted against each other by coaches who felt it would force them both to work harder to be the one who got the approval and the win. It might have gotten them the medal, but it played terrible tricks on them emotionally.

And I suspect Ally and Shelly are gone precisely because Shelly was not going to stand for Ally being treated in a way that she felt was detrimental to her child's general well-being, no matter how many trophies or titles are involved, and good for her. Realistically, there are very few people who end up making a living as dancers, and then they do so for only a limited time, because it's a profession that, with a few exceptions, isn't kind to its practitioner as they age. Far better than dancing should be put in that perspective for kids so young. Allow them to develop other interests and get a good education as well.
    GabbyG likes this.

Bear in mind I ONLY saw the last 5-10 minutes of the last episode.

I will say though - Abby sure hates being found WRONG and being humbled doesn't she?

The girls came back and they win their dance, but last week's don't...

So she goes and berates them for all these "errors" and all instead of congratulate them and then go and say the other group was more deserving (the dance troup she brought last week).

I mean WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS LADY? (Besides the above)?

Look - you were proven wrong - admit it. Well, admit it beyond bringing the girls back (which I don't care if Lifetime told you to bring them back - if you felt they were that bad, you could bellow to them to change it or you quit the show). You did have a more interesting group if not always technically superior group with Maddie, et. al.

ALL dances however have mistakes and errors and little changes in what the dance originally was because a dancer is inspired.

It's the little inspirations during the contest that can actually win these competitions - sometimes more so than a technically perfect routine. (I know - I was one of those and advanced to a finals in a dance contest, not taking a lick of solo dancing, not quite technicaly superior, but they liked what I could create to the music).

Honestly if I were the moms I'd seriously consider going to another dance studio and leave this limelight with Abby away. This time it crossed the line, as does what I feel will happen next week unless they edited the teaser to reflect something that's not there.
    GabbyG likes this.

I suspect Ally & Sophia are only there for ratings. I don't believe for one second either of those Moms packed up & moved to Pittsburgh.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I wish they would return. Brooke could have someone closer to her age and elevate her competition, and maybe the moms would learn from Shelly.

Anyone find out what Christie and the others were talking about with Jackie talking down another kid?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not going to say much here, but will sum up tonight's episode in three comments:

1. I agree with Melissa regarding Chloe - you do NOT have to win a contest to be a winner, she was proud of her daughter and her accomplishments, and I think she's getting a wake-up call to who Abby truly is. She's also spot SPOT on in regard to her assessment of Sophie and Abby can't stand that she is not the creater of her dream dancer.

2. Abby is crossing the line that I felt even "Kate plus Eight" fame didn't cross. The previews said plenty, and I find it vastly disturbing. The comments she's making to her clients, who are - through their moms - are paying her to teach them and be their coach are out of line and borderline if not flat out BULLYING (mentally). The previews too in regard to Maddie are truly TRULY disturbing - I mean even "American Horror Story: Asylum" hasn't disturbed me as much (and I've said that show is disturbing).

3. The more and more Abby focuses on faults in winning entries - attacking her girls and saying the judges were stupid to let them win, etc. - the more I think she is showing all of us that she is living through her dancers and never accomplished any first places on their own.

Honestly if I were the moms, I would really seriously go to another dancing coach - even Kathy (and I'm not a fan of hers) and have the girls dance together AGAINST Abby. When the woman just can't accept she was wrong, that judges are NOT going to see things the way she does, that she cannot accept imperfections and being HUMAN NATURE, and that people are not going to know step for step for step what the dance is, it's time to move on and let the company shut down.

I think and would hope that people watching this show realize that not all dance coaches are like Abby and that she is probably only still around because of this show. The moms are not perfect no, but when you tell the people who are paying for your food, home, studio, etc. by working with you on your dance team the way you are... it's time to have a fast (meaning the moms - all moms including those in the wings for a spot on the team - walk away).
    GabbyG likes this.

+ Reply to Thread