+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree756Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Newbie

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I believe Brooke, Paige, and Kelly eventually return. I heard the first few episodes will have some changes in the group, but eventually it's back to the normal group of girls.

The previews looked pretty intense! Who did Christi push in the hallway? It looked like a cameraman.
    GabbyG likes this.

I am beginning to think this whole new Mom/daughter combination is an Abby set-up to get Kelly & her daughters back. The whole "should we let them in about the group dance" is a clue plus the new Mom does not have a twitter# and....Kelly & girls are still in the intro and in the commercial.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I like Allie and her mom. I also agree that the person to be irritated with for Chloe losing her part is with Abby, not the newcomer or mom. What happened to the other girl at the beginning that almost made it instead of Allie? She's not the next new one in, so I wonder what gives?

Abby has achieved the impossible, and become even more obnoxious. What a cheesy set up with the former flame ... ugh.
    GabbyG likes this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

This almost is teetering on child abuse. Sometimes it is sad to watch.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I like Allie and her mom. I also agree that the person to be irritated with for Chloe losing her part is with Abby, not the newcomer or mom. What happened to the other girl at the beginning that almost made it instead of Allie? She's not the next new one in, so I wonder what gives?

Abby has achieved the impossible, and become even more obnoxious. What a cheesy set up with the former flame ... ugh.
    Maybe the other newcomer's mom wised up after seeing the atmosphere at the studio and decided she didn't want herself or her daughter on the show. I'm always surprised that Holly, who seems to be basically sensible, would continue to participate.

I think the official story was that the other girl couldn't do a (side?) aerial.

I liked Shelley and felt so sorry for her being dropped in the middle of those crazies. ITA that the person to blame for Chloe not getting to dance the angel part was Abby. I had to laugh when they all suggested that Shelley go tell Abby that she wanted Allie to NOT dance the angel part.....like that would have worked. They all know better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Dance is a rough, tough field. I think Abby is doing the girls a service by getting them ready and not mollycoddling them. Kids are mollycoddled way too much in this country. They are much tougher and more resilient than we give them credit for being. There is a reason why people want to get into Abby's classes, other than the television. I say cry, and get over it, or find something else to do. Some days are going to be worse than others.....in every part of your life.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Dance is a rough, tough field. I think Abby is doing the girls a service by getting them ready and not mollycoddling them. Kids are mollycoddled way too much in this country. They are much tougher and more resilient than we give them credit for being. There is a reason why people want to get into Abby's classes, other than the television. I say cry, and get over it, or find something else to do. Some days are going to be worse than others.....in every part of your life.
    I completely disagree. You can train dancers who go on to highly successful professional careers without screaming and yelling and calling them names. Students from the schools I attended went on to the most prestigious companies in the country, as well as Broadway, and NO teachers ever behaved the way Abby does. Whether her "method" works or not is a matter or debate, but it's absolutely not the only one. IMO, it's never okay to berate a child that way. There's a difference between being strict and firm and what Abby does.

If my child had a teacher who spoke to ANY child the way Abby does, we'd never go back. Contrary to what Abby says, there are plenty of other dance studios out there that can train a kid and prepare them for a professional career.
    GabbyG, bamafan, Kiz and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

In my opinion, there's a difference between a teacher being tough and one who calls the kids names (Chloe a cheat and sneak, Paige in need of medical attention because she's slow, etc.)

If she does this to the moms that's one thing, but to screech this to the kids is inexcusable. Btw, I also hate the moms constantly referring to Abby's weight or appearance. Everyone needs to get out of high school.
    beerbelly and Kiz like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    In my opinion, there's a difference between a teacher being tough and one who calls the kids names (Chloe a cheat and sneak, Paige in need of medical attention because she's slow, etc.)

If she does this to the moms that's one thing, but to screech this to the kids is inexcusable. Btw, I also hate the moms constantly referring to Abby's weight or appearance. Everyone needs to get out of high school.
    Absolutely! Abby behaves this way because she can't behave any other way. It has nothing to do with this being a successful teaching approach. She doesn't have it in her to be a firm, but loving teacher. Consider how the guys on the Miami version of this show treat their students. It's night and day.

None of my teachers were push-overs, but none yelled at us the way Abby yells at her kids. One of my performing groups won regional and national competitions, so we practiced constantly. Our teacher NEVER yelled and always made sure we knew he cared about us. He was like a second father to me. Abby lets her personal insecurities bleed over into her professional life way too much. It's SO obvious, especially in her relationship with Kelly. They have, what, 30 years of history together? Abby lets all of that influence her interactions with Kelly - and with Kelly's daughters - instead of keeping things professional.

All criticism of Abby aside, I continue to question why the mothers would subject their children to constant verbal abuse. Is this little bit of fame worth the emotional damage Abby could be doing to the kids? How many kids wouldn't have self-esteem issues after being barked at and called names by Abby for years?

+ Reply to Thread