+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 115 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
Like Tree756Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Could be. Honestly, I just don't care enough about that vile woman to go look it up!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I was so happy that Nia was recognized as the most improved dancer at the studio and that Holly was so justifiably proud of that award. I agree that Nia most likely won't make a career out of dancing, but I've never really gotten the impression that she or her mother ever thought that she would. This is just an activity that Nia is still better at than a lot of kids her age, even if she isn't the best dancer on the show, and it's something that she enjoys. Her attitude, and her mother's, toward her dancing seems a hundred percent more sensible and realistic than anybody else's on the show, which is perhaps why Holly is often the least combative of the mothers, taking up for her daughter only when she's dealing with bigger issues than who ought to have how many solos (e.g. Holly objecting to Nia being given so many solos that played on stereotypical African-American images).

I did feel sorry for Paige. If her doctor says don't dance for a month, that should be it--you don't dance for a month. Honestly, perhaps it's just because my dad sold insurance, but I started to wonder if the studio should even be allowing her to dance. Would Abby's insurance cover it if Paige got hurt worse and her mother decided to sue?

FORT Fogey

My goodness when did the world become so focused on things only being worthwhile if you're the best for young children? So what if Nia will never have a career in dance?? She's getting great exercise, learning how to dance well (which, as someone who can't dance at all, is a skill she should appreciate!) learning to carry herself with grace, gaining discipline. And she's doing something she loves. She has something that's hers that she's involved in outside of school. That is so important for children.

Maybe it's backlash against the "everyone gets a trophy no matter what" phase that American child experts went through recently, but it seems to me that we're forgetting that yes, while being the best is great and it's important for kids to understand that sometimes they just don't win, it's also important to acknowledge that it's okay not to win every time. Or even to not win most of the time. If it's something you love doing and it's good for you, aren't you really winning anyway?

And besides, you never know when someone will blossom. I have a swimmer friend who was always a good swimmer but never great. Then, junior year of high school he all of a sudden got great. He wound up with 3 statewide college-level records after his freshman year. My point is, you just never know, so if you love something, you should stick with it.

By the way, Tilden I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, your comments just made me think!

UGH, that new mother is the worst! Why would you come into the situation and just alienate everyone with the first words out of your mouth? A normal person would at least attempt to make nice and fit in with the group. Clearly, she's been watching the show and wanted to come in and stir things up. So she doesn't think her daughter should know dance terms and words? What a bunch of b.s.! Plus, why would she think Holly would back her up simply because they share skin color? She really is clueless.

Abby's fed up with the mothers bickering and being rude, but this new one came in and has been nothing but confrontational. She needs to cut her loose now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Can't believe Abby was actually happy with Chloe & Nia at their placement. Good for her! Those dark group numbers are too much for me but apparently they win so what do I know.
    I think the new Mom only lasted this week. I didn't see Nini in next week's preview.
    *Side note: I am sorry but who in their right mind would relocate their family hundreds of miles to dance for Abby Lee? I think Nini & her Mom were brought in to amp up the drama with the other Moms. Sorry but no "normal" person would walk into a room, diss the other girls, announce she was gay & go off on the other Moms in the 1st 5 minutes.
    Is Lifetime in anyway associated with Bravo?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Haha, I haven't seen the latest episode but it sounds like that mom knew she would have only a short guest appearance on the show so she played everything up front for maximum face time.
    Yesterday my daughter mentioned that she and a friend want to be Christi and Kelly for halloween.
    remember to play

Kiz

I can't believe that new woman was for real. Black Patsy?? Because she's a crazy dance mom like Patsy Ramsey??? That wasn't even remotely in good taste, and in a show that reeks of bad taste, I was shocked by that remark.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fan

Mackenzie and Nia both seemed to have improved so much. I thought they both did a great job with their solos.
    jadewarlock likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    Mackenzie and Nia both seemed to have improved so much. I thought they both did a great job with their solos.
    In some ways, I find them the most enjoyable to watch, just because of the definite growth you can see in both of them. I also like the relationship that Holly and Nia have. It's really the healthiest mother-daughter relationship on the show.
    jadewarlock likes this.

FORT Fan

Interesting how bringing in a new mom and daughter for a couple weeks, now make Kendall and her mom seem like regulars....they don't stand out as much as they did before. I'm surprised Kendall scored higher than Chloe. And I really hated hearing Kendall's mom gloat about it.

+ Reply to Thread