+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I guess I just don't get it. If Abby is as professional as she proclaims to be, shouldn't she know better than to do a different routine a week? Especially at that age ...

I feel all adults are responsible. The moms should unite and pull their kids if they find the costumes or moves questionable. Let her feel the sting. And Abby's retort "Your kid loved the costume/move." OF COURSE THEY DID, you dimwit, they're children and haven't a clue.

Abby wants to backseat parent and be praised for her opinions.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Kiz

That comment about the kids loving the costumes as some kind of ringing endorsement was crazy, wasn't it?

I wonder if the new mom is driving 2 1/2 hours so she and her daughter can be seen on the show. It's awfully coincidental that she joined just as the series was starting to be filmed. I think that's more likely the case, rather than she suddenly had to the urge to have her daughter instructed by Abby.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

We need to keep in mind that both by Abby's comments and the comments of mothers who attend this studio, that the women on this show are the worst ones. They are the snotty ones that chase everybody else away.

I feel sorry for Abby, almost, she's trying to run a business so she doesn't want to kick them out. However, they do need to realize that it's her studio. If they don't like it? There are other studios.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Some more information!

The actual results for the Lancaster competition are up.

Here it's a PDF file and only available that way from the StarQuest site.

The interesting thing is that on the show they made it seem like Maddie took it all while poor unloved Chloe was forced to watch. Here are the actual results:

Petite Miss StarQuest
    Madison Ziegler - Cry - Abbey Miller Dance Company

Top Petite Solo
    1st Place - Madison Ziegler - Cry - Abbey Miller Dance Company

Top Junior Solo
    1st Place - Chloe Lukasiak - Baby Mine - Abbey Miller Dance Company

The show made it seem like the competed head to head, they didn't even compete in the same category. The categories that Maddie won? Chloe couldn't have won because she wasn't in them.

Why is it ok for a dance team at a National Competition to dress like this....

Video link

And they win 1st place without anybody squawking, heck the little boy is even gyrating his hips! But everybody is freaking out over these girls? Could it be the difference is that Abby's routine sort of sucked while this one is insanely good? But the costumes are just as skimpy.

Here to see some insanely good dancing the best are at the top on down. I would LOVE to see a show about this competition and the teams preparing for it and then competing.

When I said how can reality television get away with exploiting children on these shows, I meant T&T as well. And Jon & Kate +8 - all of them. If it were a scripted television show they would be limited by labor laws how long they could work in a day, would be paid and a certain percentage going in an account that the parent can't touch, etc. Since this show feels very scripted, how do they get away with it? That's all I meant.

About the costumes, I think they were trying to make the point that they were in Lancaster, PA in Amish country and they were just going for some stupid drama if you ask me. They didn't just go for skimpy, the coloring and style looked very streetwalkerish. It is definitely a part of the dance culture/scene and I guess those moms could specify ballet if they wanted to keep them out of the jazz outfits.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Most dance moms are just squawking about how inappropriate it all was without really explaining. So it made me roll my eyes at them and call them drama queens. However, I read a post at a dance forum where one dance DAD explained it very well. He said that the problem wasn't how much material it covered because many dance costumes are skimpy. The problem was that it was made to look like lingerie. I saw his point. Looking at the other costumes, they looked like dance attire. These costumes looked like underwear. He said it's easier for a pedophile to make the leap when the outfit already looks like a little girl wearing sexy underwear. He said if that had been his child? Show or no show, they would have had to call the police on him because he would have pulled his little girl off that show so fast.

He actually teared me up a little, I love it when men go all crazy protective over their precious babies (well without being really crazy about it lol).

^^^ I think that dad's comments hit the nail on the head. It's not what the costume covers, but what it resembles. That, coupled with the choreography, which was MUCH too mature, IMO, and it looked more like a Pussycat Dolls performance.

I still can't get over Abby's justification of the costumes and saying that the girls liked them. MANY kids that age would eat pizza and chocolate milk every day if you let them. The job of adults is to guide them, set boundaries and do what is best for the child.

I have no doubt that the footage is heavily edited, but I have little sympathy for the people who are whining about how they're being portrayed. It's like Kate Gosselin wanting the spotlight and then complaining about how the media is covering her. You want the attention, but you don't get to control how you're portrayed. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

I'd love to watch a realistic show about this subject, but the problem is that I may be in the minority OR the producers/programming execs don't think there is enough of an audience for that type of show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    When I said how can reality television get away with exploiting children on these shows, I meant T&T as well. And Jon & Kate +8 - all of them. If it were a scripted television show they would be limited by labor laws how long they could work in a day, would be paid and a certain percentage going in an account that the parent can't touch, etc. Since this show feels very scripted, how do they get away with it? That's all I meant.

About the costumes, I think they were trying to make the point that they were in Lancaster, PA in Amish country and they were just going for some stupid drama if you ask me. They didn't just go for skimpy, the coloring and style looked very streetwalkerish. It is definitely a part of the dance culture/scene and I guess those moms could specify ballet if they wanted to keep them out of the jazz outfits.
    Paul Peterson's organization, A Minor Consideration, which advocates on behalf of current and former child stars, has been fighting to see that child labor laws are applied to reality shows using children, but so far, I don't think the laws that cover child actors filmed/taped for scripted television shows have been applied to kids in reality shows. You can go to the site for A Minor Consideration to read more about the ambiguity of reality shows when it comes to child labor laws (I'm not saying there should be ambiguity, just that there currently is, because no one seems to be able to figure out how child labor laws apply in reality show situations). A Minor Consideration is also concerned about toddler/children's beauty pageants, and there's a long article on their site that outlines the potential financial and emotional costs of such pageants. Those universal royalty pageants are hugely expensive--contestants can expect to pay around $600 in fees aside from transportation and hotel costs. Then there's the additional cost of outfits, make-up, hair, tanning etc., plus some pageants require that all the contestants bring gifts to be passed on to the eventual king and queen (though, to be fair, I can't remember if universal royalty does that).

Paul Peterson, BTW, played Donna Reed's son on The Donna Reed Show, so he's intimately acquainted with what it's like to be a child star.

As the mother of a former studio dancer... I have to say this show hits the nail on the head when it comes to dance moms, dancers and studio owners. While some of the show is exaggerated for drama, most is completely accurrate. Parents often complain about customs and inappropriate choreography, but most will never pull their dancer from the line or speak up to the teacher or owner. It's crazy that these families allow a sport/hobby to take over their lives, split the family, drain their financials, and dominate the children. An interesting show would be to follow up 10 years from now to see how many regret their choices.

+ Reply to Thread