+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 116 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I hated that Chloe was made to feel as if she didn't do a good enough job, when she lost by a tenth of a point. That small a difference could just come down to one judge's preferences. It doesn't mean she did anything wrong. Abby admitted in her voice-over that boys often get preferential treatment, but she can't just congratulate anyone on a close second.

I saw both the last two episodes last night, so I might be condensing them all into one show, but I also really disliked the fact that Abby seems to ignore an achievement by anyone other than Maddie. She put Nia in as dance captain for the very first time, a job she said would be difficult, and the team won. How come no "Good job, Nia!"? Why did Abby instead immediately ask to see Maddie's Drop Dead Diva dance, which she could have asked to see anytime? That put everyone, including Maddie, in a terrible position. Abby's feud with Cathy (and vice versa) is, I agree, way out of hand. And I do wish that poor Vivienne, who really is being used as a human prop, would be allowed to find an activity of her own choosing, away from her mother, in which she could find personal enjoyment. I really don't get the sense that she's even that happy about dancing but simply has no choice about it. Her mother owning a dance studio is no guarantee that she's going to be a great dancer or even want to dance. Maybe she'd be happier playing soccer or taking piano lessons or any one of a hundred things little girls try before they decide what they really like and what they're really good at.

As sort of an addendum to that, I wish Abby would stop acting as if all the students at her studio are there training to be professional dancers. Most of them are not going to dance for a living, and even those who are, aren't going to do it forever. Eventually, they'll have to move on to something else. Wouldn't it be nice if they developed other interests to pursue?

What continues to amaze me, though, is how genuinely supportive the girls are of each other, despite all the squabbling, name-calling, and otherwise immature behavior among the supposed adults around them. Well, that, and why Holly is still there. She seems to understand that dance is an activity for Nia, not a life's calling, and both she and her daughter seem reasonably grounded. Why are they sticking it out in the midst of this bickering, nasty mess? Surely there's more than one dance studio in Pittsburgh where Nia could be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I don't know much (okay I know nothing) about dance, but I found Chloe's performance more enjoyable to watch. Justice seemed to be jerky in his movements and his hair is just too much.

When Abby came in and berated Melissa/Maddie for Abby losing right in front of Chloe, I wondered why I am watching as the way Abby treats her pupils makes me so angry.
    I thought Chloe's routine was better too. I DO think that if she'd shown more emotion - dare I say it, like Maddie does - she probably would have won. She just struck me as particularly wooden this week. She did the choreography well, but it was like she was sleepwalking or something Abby was right about Justice's "choreography." It was awful. Yes, the kid has great extension and flexibility. Imagine what he could do if someone actually gave him choreography instead of having him just do a bunch of stunts to music. I don't think Abby is the greatest choreographer, but she's miles above anything from Cathy's studio.

I think Justice is VERY good. He's got great extension and beautiful feet. I think he's got a future in dance if he sticks with it. At every studio, there's often at least one boy who is just head and shoulders above the others. At one of my studios, that boy ended up as a dance captain on Broadway and dancing on the Oscars. At another studio, there were boys who went on to Boston Ballet, Joffrey and ABT, among others. I can see Justice going that route if he gets a better teacher.

I'm hopeful that Nia will get some props during next week's pyramid about doing a good job as team leader. Maybe I'm naive there, but I hope it will happen. She's a good kid and no, she'll likely not be dancing beyond high school, but she still deserves respect.

The whole Chloe/Maddie solo vs. Justice thing is another example of Abby not being able to communicate well. All she had to say was something like "Girls, you're my best two dancers and I think having to compete against both of you would psyche out Justice." Now, maybe she really only DID want Maddie to compete because she didn't think Chloe could beat him (turns out she was right), but her explanation to the contrary was really badly worded.

If Chloe really does roll her eyes at Abby (which Melissa said a while back and Abby confirmed) then that's not cool. I do think that Abby relates to the girls based on how she feels about their mother and that's not fair. Exhibit A is Kendall. All that poor kid wants to do is dance and her mother ruins her chances at every turn. I can't say I blame Abby or Cathy for not wanting to deal with her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh joy. It looks like we're getting yet another mother who can't keep her mouth shut.

I thought it was totally out of line for Jackie to discuss Melissa's personal life with Jill and on camera. Melissa is pretty secretive, at least on camera about her marriage and relationship, so who knows if Jackie might have caused actual legal problems for Melissa beyond embarrassment. I thought it was a scummy thing to do. All you have to do to understand what gossip is (vs. just discussing someone else's news/life) is to see the look on Jackie's face. What a nasty woman.

Speaking of scummy.....what made Cathie think she could go to a recital of a rival studio and try to poach students? I mean really, WTF? I can't stand her. Every week she seems to find a new low.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Cathy's voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Why would Jill invite Cathy to show her the progress Kendall made at Abby's stuido when Kendall has only been back there for less than a month.

IMHO Chole danced better than Justice. Chole danced a dark number so smiling would not have been the correct emotion. I think that cutie pie boy who dances for DM Miami is a better dancer than Justice.
    mom2 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Oh joy. It looks like we're getting yet another mother who can't keep her mouth shut.

I thought it was totally out of line for Jackie to discuss Melissa's personal life with Jill and on camera. Melissa is pretty secretive, at least on camera about her marriage and relationship, so who knows if Jackie might have caused actual legal problems for Melissa beyond embarrassment. I thought it was a scummy thing to do. All you have to do to understand what gossip is (vs. just discussing someone else's news/life) is to see the look on Jackie's face. What a nasty woman.
    They were both miked & had supposedly just arrived at the studio. Didn't Kriistie bring up about Melissa dating her boss last week? IMHO this show is majorly scritped.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Regular

Money, maybe, could be the reason Holly is on the show. Tuition,perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Cathy's voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Why would Jill invite Cathy to show her the progress Kendall made at Abby's stuido when Kendall has only been back there for less than a month.

IMHO Chole danced better than Justice. Chole danced a dark number so smiling would not have been the correct emotion. I think that cutie pie boy who dances for DM Miami is a better dancer than Justice.
    True, but she showed NO emotion. I think that might have given Justice the win. It certainly wasn't his choreography. Like Abby said, boys often win these things, even if they aren't better dancers.

I'm pretty sure anyone who appears on camera and speaks, gets a mic, whether they like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Speaking of scummy.....what made Cathie think she could go to a recital of a rival studio and try to poach students? I mean really, WTF? I can't stand her. Every week she seems to find a new low.
    While I do agree that it was out of line for Jackie to discuss Melissa's personal life on camera, if Melissa did take up with her boss while he (or she) was still married, there's a little part of me that thinks it's karma.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    While I do agree that it was out of line for Jackie to discuss Melissa's personal life on camera, if Melissa did take up with her boss while he (or she) was still married, there's a little part of me that thinks it's karma.
    I don't know, IMO, karma works itself out on its own without someone sticking their big nose in. Jackie had no business airing that on camera when it was none of her business. For me, that means Jackie's got some karma coming her way. None of these women is perfect, but I REALLY don't like Jackie. As abrasive as so many of the moms are, she can't even walk into a room without starting something. Her harping at Kelly over Paige was out of line. It's like she just can't stop her big mouth.

I thought Peyton's Mom's name is Leslie.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread