+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 114 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fan

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

The preview for the next show in two weeks gave me the creeps...I hope it was mostly due to editing and turns out not as bad as it appeared. It showed Jill sitting next to Paige, with Paige telling Jill about her broken foot and that she can't dance for several weeks. I don't remember Jill's exact words, but she has this gleam in her eye and a creepy smile. She's obviously happy about Paige's injury, ready to pounce and shove her daughter into Paige's spot on the team. It was a horrible display, right in Paige's face. Then there's Chloe crying and really upset at a competition, I think. We get glimpses on occasion of the moms helping their girls deal with Abby's destructive words and behavior, but in this case, it seems Chloe is completely devastated. It's hard to see the girls so upset...I felt the same when Maddie forgot part of her dance and was shown in the wings flipping out, begging for permission to do her routine again because Abby was going to be so mad.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    Who has one person bring in their awards to flaunt in front of their friends. Those mothers must be getting paid a lot to put up with the crap that Abby spews. I wanted to cheer when Holly took Abby to task for being critical of Nia's hair.
    I have torespectfully disagree. It's Abby's studio, it should be her rules. These girls are on the competition team. Why shouldn't they be expected to look tidy and pulled together, even in rehearsals. IMHO, Holly was way out of line for criticizing the teacher.

I haven't been watching Dance Moms for very long, but I find the behavior of the mothers to be appalling. The way they constantly criticize and complain about Abby, who is coaching their daughters, drives me crazy. I can't imagine a parent being able to do that in any other sport, like gymnastics, figure skating, or softball. And for Jill to interrupt a rehearsal - twice-- please tell me this isn't typical "dance mom" behavior and is enhanced for the cameras.

Both my children were in a 5th-6th grade regional choir. They had to audition, and there were rules and expectations that they had to follow. If they or the parents chose not to follow the rules, the kids were welcome to leave the choir. The director was strict and demanding, and taught the kids so much more than just about singing -- she taught them that you have to work hard to be successful, and that there are habits that all successful people have. Abby is abrasive, yes, but I think she truly cares about the girls and wants to make them the best dancers they can be. The moms should just get out of the way.

I've always felt the moms - save Holly for the most part - tend to be this way to Abby because she lays into them in a similar way. Personally I hate it but that would make sense as to where it stems from.

As far as Nia's hair - I didn't see it so I can't say if it's just unruly because she wants it to be or if it became too difficult to maintain. I know many African Americans who have similar complaints all the time.

Texaspet obviously you didn't see the Abby Meltdown in New Jersey where she left & went home leaving the girls to dance their solos without her being persent.

I am sure 80% of this is scripted. Abby owns the studio if she didn't want Jill/Kendell there all she had to do was the the police and have them removed. Didn't she call the cops on..dang I can't remember her name...but she was a minister???
    I love both Maddie & Chole but will honestly saw I enjoy Chole more. She just has this grace about her.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Texaspet obviously you didn't see the Abby Meltdown in New Jersey where she left & went home leaving the girls to dance their solos without her being persent.

I am sure 80% of this is scripted. Abby owns the studio if she didn't want Jill/Kendell there all she had to do was the the police and have them removed. Didn't she call the cops on..dang I can't remember her name...but she was a minister???
    I love both Maddie & Chole but will honestly saw I enjoy Chole more. She just has this grace about her.
    I don't know if we even knew her name. I would have called the cops on her too. She was out of control and threatening and wouldn't leave.

Nia's hair was unruly in that rehearsal. She didn't have it pulled back neatly. I can't imagine that the person at the studio who apparently okayed Nia's hairstyle change knew it would look like that. It did look cute down when she did her solo at the competition, but they need to find a way to make it look neater when it's pulled back.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My problem was the way Abby approached the hair situation, by yelling at Nia. That is why I was happy to see Holly stand up to Abby, although I did think the body comment was out of line. Still Abby has no problem saying exactly what she wants to anyone and everyone, so she should be expecting blowback sometimes.

All Abby would have had to do to was say in a calm manner, befitting a discussion with a child, Nia you need to do something this your hair whenever you are dancing.

There is no way I would take my child to train with Abby. I am appalled at the way she called Paige a sneak and Brooke untalented in front of other and a TV camera.
    mom2 and sclilred1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    There is no way I would take my child to train with Abby. I am appalled at the way she called Paige a sneak and Brooke untalented in front of other and a TV camera.
    I thought she called Chloe a sneak....although I heard it as "snake." That's why Chloe was sobbing in the hallway and the other girls were hugging her. For me, that would have been the last straw. I don't care what Abby can do for dancers and their careers. No one would speak about my child that way, especially not in front of her. The comment about Brooke - even if she didn't mean it the way it came out - was inappropriate too.

I really feel bad for Maddie that Abby rubs her accomplishments in the faces of the other girls. She clearly doesn't know what it means to be humble. Maddie was obviously mortified. That she lavished so much praise on Maddie for winning first place, but didn't say a word (at least not that they showed) to Chloe and Kendall.

It's a shame Kendall's got the mom she's got. I think she'd do much better at a studio if her mother wasn't so pushy and overbearing. She's a talented girl, but her mother's personality is going to ruin her chances. As for who should have danced the duet with Chloe, I thought Kendall was the best choice. Nia wasn't able to mirror Chloe at all. It was like they were performing two different routines.

For as much as Abby talks, she sure isn't a very good communicator.
    sclilred1 and Photobabe like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There is abusive behavior everywhere on this show. The moms are abusive in their cracks about Abby's weight, and how no one would want to be with her; Abby is abusive to the moms about being jealous of a 9 year old (they aren't, they admire Maddie but are jealous of the TIME SPENT ON JUST HER). But the thing that is really inexcusable to me is the abuse Abby pours on the girls. No one should say the things she says to and about the girls, even if they are told beforehand that "it's just for the tv show". These girls will take everything to heart.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

It seemed strange that the show neglected to mention that Abby is also appearing on "Drop Dead Diva." On the show she's asking Maddie what the experience was like, then the commercials are showing the DDD promo with Abby in it.
    mom2 likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread