+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I can't wait to watch! Thank goodness they have it online lol.

So some gossip:

Abby was kicked out of the Dance Masters Program because of this show.
    The studio has been "dis"-invited to some competitions because of this show.

Also because of some things that evidently happened during filming, will we ever see it? Are the rumors true or is it more of dance moms in an uproar over being shown in the same exaggerated and bad light that pageant moms have had to endure for a long time now?

I still find it funny that the very same people who snickered and pointed the finger at pageant moms and kept saying that they were all evil are now freaking out over the same thing being done to them. Not all pageants are bad and not all dance competition companies are bad but they both have their bad apples (just like any competitive child's "sport").

I'm not competitive, competition makes me sick to my stomach and I run away from it. I'm so glad that my child is into solo sports that don't have a ton of competitive crazy parents. Archery, fencing, jiu jitsu, and swimming doesn't quite bring out the crazies that other "sports" do. Although some swim parents can get a little whacked lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Kiz

From what I saw of the dance teams, Abbey's girls were clearly the best performers, but their routine and costumes were also clearly inappropriate. Bravo to the Lancaster judges for sending the message that the bar isn't going to be lowered by rewarding a studio that has tarted up nine year old girls to that degree. It's ashame for the girls, because they worked very hard and are obviously very talented, but either Abbey will re-evaluate her instruction or the girls will continue to be disqualified solely because everything about what they were doing & wearing was inappropriate.

It's also a terrible message Abbey is sending those girls that they are all expendable.

On a positive note, the new mom cracks me up, and I really like Holly so far. Also, the little girls are precious.

Harmony, from what you've said, it sounds like the girls are paying the price for the moms/teacher. That's too bad. Thanks for the additional information you've added.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Abby was kicked out of the Dance Masters Program because of this show.
    The studio has been "dis"-invited to some competitions because of this show.

Also because of some things that evidently happened during filming, will we ever see it? Are the rumors true or is it more of dance moms in an uproar over being shown in the same exaggerated and bad light that pageant moms have had to endure for a long time now?
    Wow. Getting booted from Dance Masters is HUGE. Dance Masters of America is one of the most prestigious dance organizations in the country. I haven't heard of some of the competitions mentioned on this show, but I competed at DMA's national convention (MANY years ago!). It's a BIG deal what Abby was kicked out. BIG.

Whenever people who willingly participate in a reality show get upset over how they're portrayed, I have the same response: TOUGH. What did you think was going to happen? Years ago on one of the Real World reunion specials, one of the girls (maybe Kelly from the New Orleans season) talked about not getting upset over how they were portrayed on the show and how the producers don't make the stuff up. If you are shown in a bad light, then it's your fault. I think she said something like "You did say it and you did do it."

The episode title was dead on this week: "Wildly Inappropriate." What the hell is Abby thinking!? Of course, the girls like it. They're little girls - they don't know how they look. They just think it's a fun costume. I'm sure the gasps from the audience were played up and emphasized for the cameras, but I'll be interested to see what the score sheets say and if they actually talk about them in next week's episode. THAT would show what the actual reaction to that routine was, not the filmed audience "reaction."

I also thought Chloe's number was inappropriate. She's a little girl wearing what looks to be a little wedding dress, while writhing around on the floor to a song about a man. WTH? Maddie's number was very good. That girl is a star. I sort of felt sorry for her mother when the other mother's were bitching about how Abby praises Maddie so much.

That new girl, Vivi, and especially her mother are disasters. I really felt for Vivi when she said that sometimes she'd just rather be at home. She's obviously being pushed into dance by her mother. It's a two and a half hour drive to Abby's studio for her? Is that one way or round trip? Either way, that's crazy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Some more insider stuff, LOL, I'm enjoying trolling the dance forums and even the official site to get the goods! I haven't watched the show yet, been way to busy but I'm looking forward to it because of all the hype and hoopla!

Comments from those at the competition said that the movements and attire were not inappropriate. Evidently it's the way they do things out west "If you want to dance with the big kids and win against them, you have to dress/act like them." Do I agree with that comment? That's not the point right now, the point is that some who are currently competing are saying (oh ok ALL are saying) that the girls were no different than any of the others out there.

They said the reason they lost is because they were out-of-sync. It may not have been shown on TV but the girls kept messing up, they said it was very clear that they'd only done the routine for a week. Normally routines take months and then you go to competitions, get bad marks, and fix things till months later you have the perfect number (comments from others, not my understanding since I know nothing about dance, lol). They said the worst was Nia (Nina?) the daughter of the woman who claims to look like Michelle Obama (yeah, I don't see it but whatever). That the girls were a hot mess. So if your daughter is the worst, what do you do? Throw a fit over something else to get the spotlight off how bad she danced? I'm just saying....lol.

Oh and one move was uniformly marked as bad, the stripper drop? Not sure what that means but they said it was awful and in bad taste.

Go to the official site, check out the dance forums (I think there is one called Dance Mom's that has nothing to do with this show and tons of moms are on there posting about what really happened).

One more thing, if these women are so offended then why do they keep handing checks over to Abby?

Kiz

Harmony, the girls were competing in Lancaster, PA., not out west. They played up the fact that it's in the middle of Amish country, and that the area tends to be conservative. They also highlighted the costumes of several other groups that were cute, while not being sexually provocative. That's not to say that there weren't other groups there dressed in a similar fashion. I know theses shows like to give the viewers a skewed impression. They might have shown the worse of the less talented groups, while highlighting the best parts of Abby's girls' routines, but they appeared to be much better.

Critical, I had forgotten about Chloe's number. You're right, it was sadly inappropriate too. I also agree with your comments about people being upset about how they're portrayed on reality shows. You'd have to live under a rock not to know these shows operate.

Oh I know, they weren't out west. Some people actually made that comment too. But they were all shot down as being naive "non-dancers". We are planning a family trip to Lancaster in September to take our son to Gettysburg and the surrounding area. Will have to take a photo of the studio for you guys!

Did Chloe do the stripper drop?

Kiz

From your post, I mistakingly thought you thought the girls were dancing out west.

From what I remember, Chloe's individual routine was lovely. It was the song choice that was too old for her. The booty shaking/slapping, leg spreading (yeah, they did that), etc was in the group routine.

I watched it tonight. Chloe's routine had some questionable moves too, and the song lyrics talked about a lover taking his time, stuff like that.

This show is pretty frustrating. It feels too scripted and very unrealistic. Why would you handicap yourself by doing a new routine every week? Honestly, seeing this young young children in such a revealing, sexually-themed outfit this week really makes you wonder how reality television gets away with blatant exploitation of a child.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

The same way Toddlers & Tiaras gets away with putting those little girls in swimsuits.

Want to see something disturbing? Go to (that site that has videos that people load) and see how many compilation videos are done of the T&T swimsuits. By men. And they claim there are no pedophiles at these things. I bet we will soon enough start seeing the same thing with this show.

I don't have a problem with pageants. The natural ones that are scholarship driven and that are pipelines into the Ms. America pageants. They have a feeder network of pageants that THEY run and/or sanction. Those are the ones I'm used to. These ones put on by that annoying lady with the Ultimate Grand Nacho Supreme? It's just a money maker for them. Those aren't pageants. Real pageants don't have the little girls in spray tan, makeup, revealing dresses, and swimsuits. Real pageants actually have a talent portion that doesn't involve glitz wear and shaking your butt.

Just as much as that frustrates me, I have no doubt that this show frustrates the real dance moms and dancers.

Hopefully enough uproar is raised that BOTH shows are changed.

Personally? I'd love to see a dance competition and watch the various competing schools prepare for it. It doesn't even have to be staged. But maybe that's just me (and probably us posting) and it's such a small percentage of the viewing public that it wouldn't bring in enough ratings. Evidently viewers love this staged crap.

Wow, these moms are so bitter. “Maddie, Maddie, Maddie” Why do I feel like I’m watching an old Brady’s Bunch show?

Abby said that she’s doing West Coast Swing/Jazz.

Wow, Chloe’s mom is so full of hatred and jealousy. She’s just a nasty drunk, I really don’t like her.

“Prosti-tots”

Really? Well what does that make you? Her pimp? Since you keep signing the checks and letting her do this.

“I have a group of moms that have caused many other mom’s to leave. They sit in the observation area and degrade other peoples children.”

You know? I’m beginning to think that the problem isn’t Abby. It’s these crazy dance moms and Abby is acting out because she’s fed up with them. I’d tell them to find another studio.

“We have a seamstress at our studio.”

“Why don’t you go back to your studio?”

Wow (saying that again! LOL) these moms are awful.

Maddie dances 7 days a week from 4 to 10 and doesn’t get home to 11. When does she do that insignificant thing called education?

Chloe’s mom – “I wonder what it’s doing to her psyche.” “I’m the one who keeps bringing my child back.” What the heck is wrong with this woman? Are we supposed to feel sorry for her and Chloe because big, mean Abby is emotionally scarring her? No, it’s not Abby. It’s you! Trying to live your life through her (and I had to laugh when Abby said this very same thing!).

“I wanted to be a dancer when I was a kid…” No really, Chloe’s mom. We couldn’t tell. I don’t understand why these moms don’t just drop their kids off (like everybody else) and then come back. And there’s no crying in dance! I wanted to smack her.

Wait. I just saw a brief glimpse of some girls in hot pink and orange little tutu skirts with mid-riff baring tanks.

I think as we see more and more of these kids that perhaps they aren’t as “innocent” as we thought. I think Chloe is feeding a lot of this to her mother. She seems a bit manipulative with the tears and the woe is me looks.

Watching those two routines, Maddie is better than Chloe. Maddie just has something special, that girl is going to be a dance star someday. I liked that Abby said both the girls did great; she’s not as evil and bad as some are trying to make her out to be. She’s toned down a lot this week.

I can see why Abby seems to favor Maddie.

Again, they showed briefly some teams with skimpy outfits. There were ones in what looked like red/black ruffled can-can costumes. There were ones in some sort of puzzle looking, sequined, one piece with bootie shorts.

What is different between their outfits and the garishly ugly pink and orange ones of the girls before them? Oh wait, the others have this tiny bit of fabric that stretches from their breast to their bottoms. Riiight, that makes them more covered up.

3rd place and 1st place were just as skimpy.

These moms are ridiculous with all their whining and complaining. Because it can’t be said enough, LEAVE! Find another studio if you hate it and Abby that much.

I thought the routine was MEH. I didn’t really see anything that was all that OH MY GOD! Inappropriate, if anything the routine was boring and really these girls are better than that routine. It seemed dumbed down so they could learn in it in a week.

I now know why those there are saying that they didn’t place because they danced it so poorly and it had nothing to do with the costumes or movements.

+ Reply to Thread