+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 116 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Wow, the other girls have really grown! Brooke doesn't tower over the rest of them the way she did last season.

I loved that Cathy sent Peyton and her mother packing this week. Apparently, her common sense won out against her need to stick it to Abby.

I'm surprised they would have a dance competition on a gym floor. It can be really bad for their joints and dangerous if they don't have any experience dancing on a floor that isn't sprung.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't get to see all of it (in fact I missed the Cathy scene) but here goes:

1. The mom with the short bobbed hair - seriously, grow up. Abby is going to be concerned about ALL dancers who get hurt. She was that way with Brooke, even if she was tough a bit on it. Maddie's spill like that could've been career ending believe it or not. I do fault her for changing her mind in mid leap; however, it was a lesson learned and I'm glad she's OK. That mom however just needs an attitude adjustment.

2. It was nice seeing Abby smile at most of these dances. She also seemed much mellower, making me wonder if this was around the time the show was airing and she realized what a banshee she was. I say this because even her criticisms weren't horrid, and her comments toward Jill were not over the top.

3. Nia did very well in spite of her panic attack.

4. Chloe did an OK ballet routine, but it wasn't super bad.

5. Finally Payton gets her dues and does such a lovely routine. She deserved her win; however, she is a bit too thin for my liking. I'm hoping it's just such a huge growth spurt that she just hasn't eaten enough to balance it out yet.

Overall, probably one of my favorite episodes of the show because of the overall lack of drama on the moms save the one I mentioned on the dancing injury issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I didn't get to see all of it (in fact I missed the Cathy scene) but here goes:
    In short, Peyton came and tried out for Candy Apples and Cathy wanted her. Then Peyton didn't say "yes." She told Cathy she needed to think about it and that she missed her friends (at Abby's) and that is was a long way to drive. Then, when Cathy talked to Peyton with her mother, the mother started flipping out on Cathy the same way she flipped out with Abby. Cathy told her she was a bit too much like the dance moms at Abby's for her taste. I think she said something like "I loved you [to Peyton] and thank you [to her mother]" meaning - "not interested."
    5. Finally Payton gets her dues and does such a lovely routine. She deserved her win; however, she is a bit too thin for my liking. I'm hoping it's just such a huge growth spurt that she just hasn't eaten enough to balance it out yet.
    It was Paige who won the competition. I think she's hit a growth spurt and that's why she's so skinny. Look at how much closer to Brooke's height they all are. Plus, Brooke isn't scrawny like Paige. I'm sure she'll fill in within the next year or two. She's just at her "beanpole" stage right now.

I danced on gym floors when I was in high school - that's where the dance team practiced - but I was used to it. I remember how nervous I was when I had to perform in pointe shoes because I'd only really danced in jazz shoes. I was glad I had rubber on my pointe shoes because that floor was so slick. I don't think it was fair of Abby to expect those girls to perform at their usual level on a floor like that. I was surprised only one of them got hurt.

I think most of the mothers have such a chip on their shoulders about Abby and how she dotes on Maddie. Paige wins, Abby is thrilled and yet Kelly still bitches about Abby being worried about Maddie. Of course she's worried, you nit. She'd be worried if it was any one of them.

Maddie's normally so together and "professional," but she really turned back into a little girl when she was hurt. You can't help but feel for her.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

What I didn't understand is why Abby was so hellbent on finding another place for them to dance that week, even if she had to drag them all to Texas to do it (and why the mothers just put up with that--don't any of them other than Holly have lives?). Wouldn't it have been so terrible if the girls had had extra time to practice those solos with a week off from competition? Couldn't they do them at another competition? The only reason I could come up with was that they had to have a competition for this week's show.

I also don't know how unusual it is for a competition to be called off, but Abby acted like it just never happens. I can guarantee you that such things do happen from time to time in areas of the country that have weather issues, for instance, and I'd think that includes Pennsylvania. Heck, a couple of years ago, all the local churches here had to cancel Christmas services, due to getting hit with nearly two feet of snow on the 24th. Most roads were impassable, and the cops and highway patrol were pleading with people to leave the ones that were open to emergency vehicles only. But really, there could be other reasons too--the facility where it was to be held could have developed unexpected problems etc. I'm sure they weren't happy about having to cancel either, but Abby acted like they were out to screw her personally.

That gymnasium floor scared me the minute I saw it. I was in a competition one-act once where we didn't see the performance space until we showed up, and it turned out to be a freshly polished gym floor, and our one act had a lot of running around in it. I'm surprised all of us managed to stay upright, and we weren't trying to dance, just run. I have no idea who decided that floor needed to be polished immediately before the competition, but it was a nightmare, not just for us, but for any cast that had to move past a slow walk. It was like trying to act on a skating rink without benefit of blades.

I'd bet going to the other competition may have been the producers' idea, not Abby's. IRL, I doubt they'd all be paying to fly to Texas.

I thought it was mentioned that the competition got canceled because not enough competitors signed up. I think that's unusual. I didn't compete as much as these girls do - there just weren't that many competitions when I was that age either - but we never had a competition canceled. Maybe it's more common now since there are so many more competitions out there. Also, I'm sure the fees aren't cheap either. Maybe that was a factor.

When I first started high school and found out we'd be practicing in the gym, I was really freaked out. Our dance team wasn't like those ones you see on ESPN - we were more like a dance class without a real teacher. The teacher supervised the intermediate kids, but the advanced students just broke into groups and choreographed our own numbers. We did two shows a year - at Christmas for every period of gym class and a Spring showcase.....all of it in the gym. I can't tell you how many people fell over the years and we were on it every day. I don't think I ever did - I would have remembered hitting that floor! Really, some of us took to practicing on the concrete outside the gym because we liked having our own space. I can't imagine the kind of damage we were doing to our joints.

I'm enjoying seeing MacKenzie's progress. She was sort of just an adorable little moppet last season. She didn't have much personality and I wondered why she was even in that group. Now she's really getting better. Abby's actually a little toned down with her vs. how she speaks to the other girls. I thought it was very sweet last week when Abby actually cried when MacKenzie got her routine down perfectly in practice and said "It was good" all choked up.

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules View Post
    PM me if you want the spoiler for why Jill/Kendall aren't going to be featured. As to Kathy/Vivi they are now the "villain" character and that might be why they are still on. Not sure, though and I would've removed them from opening at the start of season 2.
    OOO! Can someone please pm me with this info? Thanks in advance.

It will be interesting to see how this week's episode goes. It is obvious that Abby watched the first season and realized she needed to tone it down a bit or maybe the producers told her to. She is much more calm and positive with the girls than the first season. The moms on the other hand, with a few exceptions, are over the top (which I'm sure the producers also like). Holly is the only one who seems "normal." I have two boys who play sports and I would never allow them to be on a team with parents who use foul language and get in yelling confrontations in front of the kids. They participate in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, track and swim team (we obviously don't believe in specializing ) and I've never encountered anything close to the way these moms act. I've seen parents confront coaches, but it has always been out of the earshot of the kids. If I was Abby, I would ban the moms from backstage and get some older dancers to help out with the young ones. I don't know how she expects the girls to respect her if their moms do not. That is another policy my husband and I have - we never badmouth a coach in front of our kids.

This was the first episode that I noticed the back of at least one person's head behind them in the rehearsal viewing area. Now that I'm looking, it looks like it is a two sided bleacher looking into two different rooms. If so, I feel bad for the other parents that have nothing to do with the show having it RIGHTTHERE while they are trying to watch their own kids!
    Wag more, bark less

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Derek Hough has an opinion about Abby and the Dance Moms . . . and it isn't good.

IMO, they should sign Abby up for Dancing with the Stars and give her to Derek. It would allow her to demonstrate that she can do more than TEACH, and it would satisfy all of those who think Derek gets the "stars" who have the best chance of winning.
    mom2, Florimel and bamafan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Derek Hough has an opinion about Abby and the Dance Moms . . . and it isn't good.

IMO, they should sign Abby up for Dancing with the Stars and give her to Derek. It would allow her to demonstrate that she can do more than TEACH, and it would satisfy all of those who think Derek gets the "stars" who have the best chance of winning.
    Hey, I'm not always a fan of Derek's (it's more due to ABC), but even I wouldn't put him through that torture... he's a decent enough guy who at least will admit when he screws up dances (well, mostly).

Mark... maybe.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread