+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast
Like Tree813Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    \
    I do agree with Abby and Melissa, though, that once you join a team you see it through and do not quit in the middle. This did affect others, her team, so I don't agree with the decision. That decision should have been made before the season started. I have kept my kids in activities they wanted out of, to teach that you don't let others down. Don't sign up for them next time. (Btw, I love softball and my youngest wanted out during the season. I said no and she finished the season, but I didn't make her sign up next year.) Ugh, I hate agreeing with Abby and Melissa, so this is the one time I think it'll happen.
    To a point I can agree here; however, dancing there looks like it's paid month to month, so if Brooke was nearing the end of the month at the time, then she could walk away. We don't know that though.

And, I'm not proud to admit this, but I have considered quitting an event simply because I got sick and tired of the harrassment and bullying and treatment I had similar to what I feel Brooke has gotten. (I ended up not doing that, but I warned them if it continued I would, and things changed). If it's not fun then yeah, I can see people walking out to make a point - you treat people poorly, you can have them treat you the same way.

I honestly wished it was a wakeup call to Abby that maybe her attitude was causing problems, but given her comments later, no.

Abby's mouth knows no bounds. To tell Paige "Now you know who's the favorite in your family" was abusive. Someone needs to call her on it ...perhaps the next time she berates Kelly for cussing in front of the girls, Kelly can turn it around and let her know that her comments about the families are more hurtful than curse words.
    Exactly - and then "worthless" comments and the like. No one is worthless just because they don't want to do a dance and would rather try their hand at something else. You show class and move on.

What is the deal Cathy has with Christy?? Disco Ball? Nose? And she thinks she's better than Abby when she talks like this in front of the girls. I'm ready for Candy Apples to disappear.
    I think her studio is doing as bad as Abby's honestly and is jealous of Christy being well off or something. Frankly I think she knows too though that Christy will respond to barbs and therefore will be aired and she can get more airtime.

Think about it - Try on Holly she'd just have a back turned on her. The others will call her out and honestly thrash her to ribbons that any attempt she makes is lamer than this.

It just kills Abby for Maddie not to win. Maddie got 3rd, Chloe got 1st overall, and yet you know that Chloe will be 2nd rung on that pyramid because "Chloe had some missteps and she doesn't want Chloe to be confident ........ because of the trophies." Yeah, that's why. LOVED Mackenzie! Adore Nia! Feel so bad for Paige, who is overlooked all the time except to be berated for her mother or sister's conflicts with Abby.

Wow, the new girl's (Peyton) mom is a sweetheart. Can't wait to see how that works out.
    Chloe will hear "you didn't deserve that win" like Abby said in the private interviews, because supposedly Maddie had a perfect routine.

When will Abby realize that you can have a perfect technical routine and still not win? Michelle Kwan would be happy to set the record straight with Abby there - Kwan's first Olympics she had the perfect technical routine compared to Tara Lipinski's but Tara's was more artistic so she had high enough scores to beat Michelle and win the gold.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I have no problems with Brooke moving on, but I did have a problem with her having so many problems with cheering and than making it. She needed a reality check that she cannot just bounce around and needs to find something she is good at. Let's hope that she is not allowed back into the dance group later on. I did agree with Abby on one point, Brooke needed to be told a little bit more that dancing was something she could use later on whereas cheering is just a brief moment in life. I am fine with her making her own decision, but she could have been a little more informed.
    I disagree. Brooke is, what, 13?? That's exactly the time where she can bounce around and try different things and see what she likes. Cheering is really similar to dance but more social, so it makes sense that cheering would be her first step away from dance. Maybe she'll try other sports. She should try new things now, because it gets harder to try a new sport once she's in high school, and I get the impression that she hasn't been able to give anything other than dancing a shot.

I was a very competitive swimmer throughout my childhood. It required approximately the same time commitment these girls make, once you committed yourself to it in a serious manner. The thing is, that didn't happen until around thirteen, give or take a couple of years. A lot of people (including some of the best swimmers I knew) would take seasons off to do other sports or try new things, and eventually they settled on swimming. Or they found something else they loved. Either way, the sort of "bouncing around" period - which I myself had at one point - was beneficial to all of us in lots of ways.
    redsox girl likes this.

Even if the studio requires monthly payments, dance is a long season. You work and work until the finals.While I hate to agree with Abby, she's right imho. She should've finished her season with dance and then quit. Of course, you can't blame a 13 year old! Her mother should've explained to her that she made a commitment. Stinks, yes, but true.

Cathy is the most obnoxious grandma (oops Mother) I have ever seen. Calling Christi (whom I'm not a huge fan of), names??? Putting your hands on her??? Also, the booing? Felt like I was at a Red Sox/Yankee game. How could you do that to little kids? Every sport my sons have done since preschool, come with paperwork that explicitly states YOU CANNOT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT THE OTHER TEAM/PLAYERS.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Even if the studio requires monthly payments, dance is a long season. You work and work until the finals.While I hate to agree with Abby, she's right imho. She should've finished her season with dance and then quit. Of course, you can't blame a 13 year old! Her mother should've explained to her that she made a commitment. Stinks, yes, but true.

Cathy is the most obnoxious grandma (oops Mother) I have ever seen. Calling Christi (whom I'm not a huge fan of), names??? Putting your hands on her??? Also, the booing? Felt like I was at a Red Sox/Yankee game. How could you do that to little kids? Every sport my sons have done since preschool, come with paperwork that explicitly states YOU CANNOT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT THE OTHER TEAM/PLAYERS.
    I may be a bit more sympathetic with Brooke even if Abby has a point in quitting. I personally was bullied and put down a lot verbally this way. In the end, some of those comments took years to get rid of. In fact, it wasn't until about 5 years ago - when I was 28, that I was able to just pick up a phone and call someone because I was afraid the other person would yell their head off and call me names.

Additionally, some will probably say that quitting is a bad thing, but I have to say not exactly. If she was quitting everything when it got too hard, then I'd have a concern. That said, in real life we all will resign from our jobs for a variety of reasons that are adult versions of what Brooke did this for - new adventure, better job, etc. But that said, resigning is a polite way of saying "I quit you and your office/business."

The one thing she could've done better was to tell Abby earlier, but that was all.

And as far as the Cathy, Christi debacle, I wish that Christi had just slapped Cathy and be done with it. She was already was fighting and the like, so may as well just go hit her and then go marlin fishing.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Kiz

As far as Brooke quitting dance mid season, Abby has made it clear that everyone is replaceable. The other moms were fine with Brooke missing the weekend group dance for cheerleading tryouts, and given Abby's attitude, I wouldn't expect my child to have a moral obligation to her. Also, the verbal berating by Abby alone would be enough for me to pull my child from that studio. I wanted my now grown children to be respectful, but I would never expect or want them to take the kind of verbal insults that Abby inflicts.
    Last edited by Kiz; 01-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree that Brooke should have stuck it out with the dance commitment once she made it. However, nothing at Abby's studio is normal, particularly not Abby and the way she treats her students. She belittles and demeans both the girls and their mothers constantly. I'd applaud any of those girls walking out on that. None of them should have to put up with it, no matter how many wins Abby can put up on her scoreboard.

Abby has announced, repeatedly, that everyone is replaceable. Perhaps if enough of her students did what Brooke has done, she'd realize that includes her.

Brooke knew about those tryouts long before they happened. If she wanted to try out, she should have said something sooner than, oh, 3 days before. It's kind of a teenage thing to do, I think, like announcing they have to take cookies to a bake sale and it's the next day.

Her quitting when she was expected to be the lead in the dance at a competition that weekend was just not responsible. She knew those tryouts were coming and she should have bowed out of the dance group sooner. Like I said above, Brooke's been interested in cheerleading the entire time that the show has been on the air. I think her mother has kind of been in denial about it.

The group recovered fine, but it was still unfair to them. I think her mother's weird relationship with Abby is what made her allow Brooke to quit like that on such short notice. My mother never would have allowed that. You commit to something and you see it through. She didn't just quit her dance lessons: she blew off a competition just a few days before and impacted a whole bunch of other people. That's not how you teach a kid responsibility.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm perplexed as to why these mothers allow this beastly woman to bully, berate and degrade their daughters. These are CHILDREN, the oldest being only 13. Their pschycologcal health and senes of self- confidence are being eroded byAbby and by the way almost all of the mothers behave. Most of the kids look bewildered and nervous and embarrassed by the behavior of the adults. Screaming, name calling, swearing... That anyone would chide a child for wanting out of such a destructive sitaution is beyond me. Really, people think this child owes ABBY something and that she should stay? The kids themselves are,'t upset. People who would force this girl to stay are, imo, sending the message that abusive behavior is acceptable, should be tolerated and if you can't handle it you are weak and inneffectual and overly sensitive and letting everyone down. How will this translate into other relationships including future romances? Will these girls wind up in abusive marriages and `stay' because they don't want to let down their children or be thought of as failures? What if this girl ends up filled with anxiety, self- loathing and fear? Sometimes a person should`quit' on their team if the coach is abusive and emotionally dangerous. Abby is the Bobby Knight of dance instructers. Knight was a `winner' in college basketball so his abusive behavior towards his players was ignored and parents put up with him because their kids were `winners' on the court. Anyone who went against Knight, whether the occassional player or a parent was blackballed. The fans looked the other way, the University looked the other way.` Hey, abuse my kid all you want as long as it gives my kid a trophy and we are considered `winnners.' Knight said bullying worked and any kid or parent who couldn't handle it was `weak' (although he used uhprintable euphanisms). Abby and these parents are the same. Sometimes the strongest thing you can do is get yourself out of a situation which is harmful to your self-esteem, especially if you are being guilted into staying, and espeically if you are a kid.
    GabbyG, jadewarlock and Kiz like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Abby is a tyrant - and I fear the kids are brainwashed and so are the moms. The pyramid, the 'have to win' being repeated again and again, and how Abby thinks this will all end up in a 'career'. It's all crazy and even though Brooke 'let the team down' it is only a dance competition which seems to happen every week.
    redsox girl likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

You know, it's awful that children are subjected to Abby's tirades, but it really doesn't matter if she's speaking to a child or an adult--everyone she rants at is entitled to feel as if they are are being treated terribly. No one, of any age, should have to put up with her ridiculous attitudes. If someone repeatedly spoke to me the way Abby bellows at everyone, I would not be sticking around to see if I'd eventually be treated better. If Abby were going to change, she would have made some effort by now.

And yes, it's positively ridiculous that she seems to think she's preparing these children for careers in dance. Very, very few people ever end up dancing professionally as a career and even fewer become famous for it, which seems very high on Abby's list. Besides, ten year olds shouldn't be expected to be making career choices anyway.
    redsox girl and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread