+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 114 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

No one. That's the sad thing.

Wait, I will say I think Nia had some fun when they were auditioning for the lead little girl in the video and she did that drop to the floor move that made everyone gasp--and later said in the edited in comments that she did it just because she thought it would be fun, because obviously they weren't going to cast an African-American girl as the younger version of a blonde, blue-eyed singer. Good for her for deciding to have fun at that point as she recognized that it was a ridiculous role for which to audition in her case. If there's no way she was going to get it, she might as well have fun and do something that she enjoyed that would get her noticed--and she does seem to enjoy doing that drop.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

After watching the girls perform in the group number tonight, it's clear that THAT is the group of girls that should be dancing together - no Brooke and no MacKenzie. All of that group was around the same size and roughly the same age. It's silly to have Brooke in there - she's up to 4 or 5 years older than most of them and MacKenzie is both too young and not up to their level. Of course, based on the previews, it looks like Abby is bringing in an older girl - is it Peyton? The one with the screeching mother? Fab.

IMO, that group number is the best that group has been so far. They were in sync and looked beautiful. Nice choreography, even though Abby isn't the best in that department. I was really impressed.

That Candy Apples group number was just cringe-worthy. UGH. I was embarrassed for everyone involved. Why she insists on having her daughter in all of those numbers, I don't know. That child can't dance.

I was pleasantly surprised by MacKenzie's solo. She was much better than I'd expected.

If that little dust up with Cathy at the end of the episode is Abby's way of showing the girls how to be good sports, she's got some work to do. I can't believe grown women behave like that, particularly in front of their children. Once again, it's the children who act more mature than the parents.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I had pretty much the same thoughts. I've felt all along that Brooke is too old for that group, which makes it even less surprising that she preferred to try cheerleading, which she said was what all her friends were doing. She's thirteen/fourteen. How many girls that age want to spend the majority of their free time with a group of ten year olds, including their younger sister? Not that Brooke and Paige don't seem to have a decent relationship, but still...everyone wants to have their own group of friends. And the differences between ten and thirteen are pretty major. I'm glad her mother let Brooke make her own decision. Under normal circumstances, I could see Abby's point that Brooke, along with her mom, should have told her she was dropping out of the group number rather than just not showing up, but considering the way Abby went off (and was likely to go off), I can see why Brooke was better off not being there. It was also unconscionable that Abby said, in front of Paige and her mom, that Brooke was "nothing" and "worthless," because she made that choice. Actually, it was unconscionable that she said it at all.

I actually thought it was interesting that the group number that Abby wanted nothing to do with--that she wanted her name disassociated from--was so much better. I can't remember the name of the actual choreographer, but she should be doing the choreography. She's probably easier to work with too--she could hardly be any more difficult.

Mackenzie also seems much happier working on her own, doing a dance that highlights her own skill level, than working with the older girls. Doesn't Abby Lee have a younger group where she can shine and be with her peers? It's like Mackenzie and Brooke had to be in that group because that's where their sisters were, which is stupid. It's stupid, too, that poor Vivienne is stuck in a dance troupe where she is clearly far younger and less talented, just because her mother wants her there. Maybe there are other activities she'd prefer to try that she might be better at. It's not that she's terribly uncoordinated for her age--she's just not as coordinated as the other little girls, like Mackenzie, who are competing in dance. From the few times we've heard from her, she doesn't seem all that interested in it either. She deserves the opportunity to figure out what she'd really like to do as opposed to doing what her mother wants her to do, especially since she's pretty clearly unlikely to be the dancer her mother wants her to be. It's not fair to Vivienne and it's not fair to the other girls in that troupe who are obviously choreographed around her.

And OMG that last scene where Abby was intent on showing what good sports they were was just awful. I really felt for Chloe and Vivienne having to watch their mothers behave like that--and once again, Holly had to be most reasonable adult in the room and get Chloe's mom out of there. You could see the school principal in her, as she was treating her as if she was a child who needed to be removed from a situation before some sense got talked into her (I just wish I believed that was possible).

FORT Fogey

I really am disgusted that the language and actions of these parents is allowed. I cringe every single time they are swearing and getting aggressive like that.

I have no problems with Brooke moving on, but I did have a problem with her having so many problems with cheering and than making it. She needed a reality check that she cannot just bounce around and needs to find something she is good at. Let's hope that she is not allowed back into the dance group later on. I did agree with Abby on one point, Brooke needed to be told a little bit more that dancing was something she could use later on whereas cheering is just a brief moment in life. I am fine with her making her own decision, but she could have been a little more informed.

I hate the way Abby is not supportive with wins by anyone other than Maddie. One of the worst things I have heard her say on the show was when Chloe won and she stated it was because Maddie was like a hired professional amongst the amateurs. I would not allow that woman around my child with such harsh remarks. Those can scar a child forever.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I really am disgusted that the language and actions of these parents is allowed. I cringe every single time they are swearing and getting aggressive like that.

I have no problems with Brooke moving on, but I did have a problem with her having so many problems with cheering and than making it. She needed a reality check that she cannot just bounce around and needs to find something she is good at. Let's hope that she is not allowed back into the dance group later on. I did agree with Abby on one point, Brooke needed to be told a little bit more that dancing was something she could use later on whereas cheering is just a brief moment in life. I am fine with her making her own decision, but she could have been a little more informed.

I hate the way Abby is not supportive with wins by anyone other than Maddie. One of the worst things I have heard her say on the show was when Chloe won and she stated it was because Maddie was like a hired professional amongst the amateurs. I would not allow that woman around my child with such harsh remarks. Those can scar a child forever.
    I didn't really understand the cheerleading tryouts, but then we only saw what I assume was a small portion of them. Perhaps the problems Brooke had with making herself heard were things the coaches thought were outweighed by her gymnastic abilities. Could be the girls who were louder were more deficient there and the coaches felt it would be easier to correct Brooke's problems in the long run than theirs. Honestly, if Brooke isn't allowed back into Abby's studio, it might be best for her. Abby's studio can't be the only place she could study dance and given Brooke's problems with her shoulder, I'm not sure dancing is a long term career for her anyway.

I completely forgot about Abby's "professional among amateurs" remark until you mentioned it. If Maddie is, indeed, a professional among amateurs, then she shouldn't be competing with amateurs. If she isn't, then sometimes someone else, like Chloe, is going to please the judges more and win. Nobody wins all of the time. I don't understand what Abby's problem is with Chloe winning instead of Maddie, given a win by either reflects well on the studio. Abby herself put Chloe at the top of her precious pyramid this week, so you'd think it's possible that Chloe might win.

Kiz

I had to laugh at Abby complaining that Cathy used Vivi in the group number to bring down the average age of the girls. Didn't Abby do the same thing last season with Vivi and MacKenzie on swings in the background of a group dance?
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    To be fair to Brooke, she is in the seventh possibly eighth grade. Cheerleaders and tryouts there are NOT that impressive - having the issues that Brooke was having for all - and a lot of nerves come in. I know a few people who made the squad simply because of the acrobatics because they need a balance of strong cheerleaders - many BTW who can't tumble, and then some who can do the acrobatics that helps reduce the number needed to train.

And - speaking as a former mascot (high school and one year in college) - some of these skills MAY be useful in the future. My case, the mascot training ended up helping me when I had to work at an amusement park in my late 20s while looking for a better job than the one I had prior. (I can't go into details, but yes... it's amazing what skills and such you think is just temporary can become a valuable skill in other situations).

I'm glad for Brooke though - I think she's going to be happier out of Abby's dancing stuff. Her "Garden of Eden" dance though was lovely.

I really hated her comment that Chloe shouldn't have won because of a missed turn in her opinion and whatnot.

OK... excuse me Abby, but there are THREE judges, and while one may see what you see - technical, many dancers are judged based on artistry with tech secondary. I personally - someone who has had ZERO dance experience (at least in solo dances), advanced from a pool of 28 dancers to a top SIX because they loved the artistry of my dance (more contemporary if anything - I just expressed myself, it had no real area). I placed sixth, but one judge actually ranked me fifth, so hey... I did pretty well.

Maddie is a beautiful dancer, but she can't win all the time. Don't get jealous of the other girls Abby when they do well over your star. It happens, and you should congratulate all.

FORT Fogey

I have a hard time believing that any of the girls at Abby Lee's Dance Studio wouldn't be happier if they weren't there, not just Brooke. Even the ones who clearly love dancing don't need the kind of pressure and sheer nastiness that Abby dishes out to them and their mothers (and that some of the mothers dish back). I simply don't believe there isn't some dance studio, somewhere, where they could learn and be held to standards without being under the thumb of someone who makes it very clear that they are responsible for making her reputation for her and if they don't do as she wants them to they are "replaceable" or "worthless" or "nothing." Abby should be ashamed of herself. Sure, she gets results, but she gets them in spite of the way she acts, not because of the way she acts. Have we ever even once seen Abby appear to be happy or relaxed about anything on the show? How often have we even seen her sincerely smile (as opposed to smiling because someone else has taken a hit or smiling sarcastically)? She comes off as a bitter, self-absorbed person who should certainly not be teaching anything to anyone.

Brooke has made it increasingly clear that she wants other things beyond dancing in her life--she wants to be able to spend time with friends her own age, she wants to participate in the same activities they do, she wants to go to football games, she wants to go shopping and to the movies with them. In other words, she wants to behave like a fairly typical thirteen/fourteen year old. She's not dropping out of the troupe because she's started drinking or doing drugs. She's not even going through a particularly rebellious stage, except that she's rebelling against Abby's tactics, which I'm surprised more of the girls don't do. It may be that she decides, after a break, that she'd like to go back to dance and take lessons elsewhere. But if she never goes back at all, that does not mean, as Abby said of Brooke and Paige's mother, that her life will amount to nothing. From what we can see, Brooke and Paige's mom has a pretty decent life. But in Abby's eyes, if you have the talent to be a dancer, whether you have the desire or not, you're a failure if you're not on Broadway (which makes one wonder what Abby thinks of her own life, because she apparently did not have a life as a professional dancer and does not appear to be someone who does anything in terms of dancing or exercise now--unless screaming hoarsely at everyone and everything counts as exercising one's jaw).

I also think it was hideous of Abby to "dismiss" everyone else in the group number when she found out Brooke wouldn't be there--and blaming Brooke for the group number being canceled. Thank goodness someone else stepped in and thought about how to regroup. Then, after Abby whining to everyone about how the group number would not be done under her name, because it could not be done properly without Brooke, the remaining girls won anyway--and Abby didn't have the humility to admit that she might have been wrong. Good heavens, there are many occasions in the performing arts where a particular person in the cast/choir/orchestra/troupe drops out unexpectedly for one reason or another. Dealing with that is part of learning what it's like to be a performer. Hasn't Abby ever heard the phrase, "The show must go on?"

I would like to see Abby's face when she watches this episode and sees how much of a downer her presence was when she got on that bus ... everyone was pumped and having a great time until SHE arrived.

I do agree with Abby and Melissa, though, that once you join a team you see it through and do not quit in the middle. This did affect others, her team, so I don't agree with the decision. That decision should have been made before the season started. I have kept my kids in activities they wanted out of, to teach that you don't let others down. Don't sign up for them next time. (Btw, I love softball and my youngest wanted out during the season. I said no and she finished the season, but I didn't make her sign up next year.) Ugh, I hate agreeing with Abby and Melissa, so this is the one time I think it'll happen.

Abby's mouth knows no bounds. To tell Paige "Now you know who's the favorite in your family" was abusive. Someone needs to call her on it ...perhaps the next time she berates Kelly for cussing in front of the girls, Kelly can turn it around and let her know that her comments about the families are more hurtful than curse words.

What is the deal Cathy has with Christy?? Disco Ball? Nose? And she thinks she's better than Abby when she talks like this in front of the girls. I'm ready for Candy Apples to disappear.

It just kills Abby for Maddie not to win. Maddie got 3rd, Chloe got 1st overall, and yet you know that Chloe will be 2nd rung on that pyramid because "Chloe had some missteps and she doesn't want Chloe to be confident ........ because of the trophies." Yeah, that's why. LOVED Mackenzie! Adore Nia! Feel so bad for Paige, who is overlooked all the time except to be berated for her mother or sister's conflicts with Abby.

Wow, the new girl's (Peyton) mom is a sweetheart. Can't wait to see how that works out.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I would like to see Abby's face when she watches this episode and sees how much of a downer her presence was when she got on that bus ... everyone was pumped and having a great time until SHE arrived.
    I don't think Abby has a very much self-awareness and she seems to be a queen of justifying her own bad behavior. She'd easily turn that around and blame everyone else.

I do agree with Abby and Melissa, though, that once you join a team you see it through and do not quit in the middle. This did affect others, her team, so I don't agree with the decision. That decision should have been made before the season started. I have kept my kids in activities they wanted out of, to teach that you don't let others down. Don't sign up for them next time. (Btw, I love softball and my youngest wanted out during the season. I said no and she finished the season, but I didn't make her sign up next year.) Ugh, I hate agreeing with Abby and Melissa, so this is the one time I think it'll happen.
    Agreed. I think, because she was a student of Abby's when she was young, Melissa has this weird need to make Abby happy. It's sort of like a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship and, frankly, Melissa is way too old to behave like that. My mom never would have let me quit like that, especially right before a competition. They've known that Brooke was thinking about doing cheerleading for a long time. She should have spoken up and told her mom and Abby that she didn't want to dance before the season started. I find it amusing that they talk about the "season" like it has anything to do with anything BUT the show. There is no dance season, unless things have drastically changed since I danced competitively.

I think Brooke is more than a few years older than most of those girls. Unless I'm wrong, Maddie is only 8. Chloe is a bit older than that. Not sure about Paige and Nia. There's no real world (i.e. not on a TV show) reason for a 13 or 14 year old to be in a performing group with an 8 year old. Not to mention MacKenzie!

They need to put Cathy and Christy into the No-Class Thunderdome and let them battle to the death. I think they're equally horrid, although I will say, Cathy's voice is more annoying. Plus, what kind of messed up bad sportsmanship is she teaching her students? Booing for another studio? WTH?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread