+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 114 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I agree that stage experience of any kind can help with confidence in terms of being in front of an audience, I wonder if, in this case, that isn't offset by what effect Abby's methods--the yelling, the almost constant negativity, the demands that five year olds behave as if their "professional" careers are at stake, the pyramid rankings, the antagonism between Abby and their mothers--have on them long term. From what we see of them, the girls seem to be handling it all amazingly well, but we see very little of what they actually go through, and even so, we do see them breaking down with fair frequency.

If these parents want the experience to instill confidence in their girls, Abby Lee Dance Studio may not be the right choice, even if they do seem to win a lot. Ditto Candy Apples Studio.

Kiz

More Dance Moms.

Lifetime Orders 'Dance Moms' Miami-Based Spin-Off - The Hollywood Reporter

The network has ordered six hour-long episodes of the behind-the-scenes dance series.
    Lifetime is dancing its way to Miami.

Lifetime's 'Dance Moms' Hits Series HighLifetime Renews 'Dance Moms' for Second Season
    The femme-focused network has picked up six hour-long episodes of a Dance Moms spin-off, titled Dance Moms: Miami.

The docu-series will go behind-the-scenes at Miami-based Stars Dance Studio, where the school’s owners and renowned contemporary dance instructors Victor Smalley and Angel Armas train a group of aspiring dancers....
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Oh, dear. It's starting to sound like the Housewives franchise on Bravo.

Anyone else remember when Bravo first appeared and it was actually about the arts? Man, I miss that....
    mom2 likes this.

I'm wondering how Abby Lee feels that they've gone behind her back and enlisted another dance company ... I can hear the tantrum from here.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I will say this--if the new studio has a decent teacher who has realistic expectations and a voice that doesn't sound like the offspring of a foghorn and sandpaper, it would be a revelation and worth putting on the air, just to show that little girls can learn to dance and enjoy the process as opposed to being driven to win, win, win for their moms and teacher.

Somehow, however, I doubt that's the way Lifetime went with this--they probably tried to find a dance teacher who is even more controversial than Abby Lee, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they pitted the two studios against each other at some point.
    mom2 and GabbyG like this.

I think that if Abby has anything to say publicly, she'll be all hearts and flowers. She grinned from ear to ear like an idiot when they were all on Anderson. Behind-the-scenes, I'm sure she's taking all the credit AND spitting nails about attention being given to another studio.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If that new studio is more positive I'm saying all for it. It would also be nice if they did have a nice studio and have them matched up with Abby to show the pros/cons of the way Abby teaches...

That said I think we will sadly end up though with the traditional Cathy/Abby style fiasco arguments.

Tonight/this week's story of course will be interesting, not just because of Brooke but also because of the Cathy incident. Something tells me - at least I hope so, that if Brooke's mom hears directly or from the kids about Abby's comment that Brooke is nothing and a nobody for making a NORMAL decision, that she pulls them out and yells at Abby.

I'm sorry - their mom may be one of the bigger witches there in her attitude; HOWEVER, no one is NOBODY and WORTHLESS because they want to be a teen and try out something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Oh, dear. It's starting to sound like the Housewives franchise on Bravo.

Anyone else remember when Bravo first appeared and it was actually about the arts? Man, I miss that....
    They've come a long way from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy haven't they?!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    They've come a long way from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy haven't they?!

I was thinking further back than that--when they would actually show concerts and plays on Sunday mornings. It was called Bravo, because it was supposed to be about things that were applauded. Not over-privileged housewives, various stylists, matchmakers etc.

Funny, I just got hooked on this show and it reminds me of when I was younger when I wanted to take ballet lessons and my mom wouldn't let me because of the 'dancer's life' she didn't want me to be in. I am not saying that is right or wrong however I feel some of this behavior is so wrong in so many ways. It's almost if these kids are brain washed to 'Be The Best' and the moms are even more competitive. Who is having fun here?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread