+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree813Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

What I seriously don't understand is why subject an impressionable daughter to watch her mother get disrespected by someone? What is that mother teaching her daughter? I'm especially disappointed with Holly. This woman has more education and eloquence than that -- that thing! I would've taught that harridan a solid lesson in business 101 in not disrespecting your paying clients by pulling her out of that school and put her in a much more respectable school.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My daughter used to be involved with community rec center dance classes, which was nothing like this show. I watched an episode for the first time this weekend - curiosity raised by what I'd read here.

I have only one comment. If I had been that concerned about the costumes and the dance that the mothers weren't happy about (and I wouldn't have liked them either), my daughter would NOT have gone on stage and danced that way in that outfit. Abby kept saying, "Go ask the girls if they like them," and the mothers kept responding, "They're kids - they don't understand how inappropriate the routine and costumes were." The moms were absolutely right. But it was THEIR responsiblity to know exactly what that dance involved and what they would be wearing, and to put a stop to it beforehand or pull their girls out of the routine. They did not protect their daughters, and they allowed someone else to lead their daughters to do something they did not approve of. Makes no sense to me, other than the drama factor. And kids should not be exploited for the sake of drama.

JMO.
    I teach at a dance studio that is mostly geared to children and teens. Dance Moms show is NOTHING like where I teach. The instructor is sweet and respectful and is stern when need be. And the studio wins a heckuva lot of awards!
    AZChristian likes this.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    What I seriously don't understand is why subject an impressionable daughter to watch her mother get disrespected by someone? What is that mother teaching her daughter? I'm especially disappointed with Holly. This woman has more education and eloquence than that -- that thing! I would've taught that harridan a solid lesson in business 101 in not disrespecting your paying clients by pulling her out of that school and put her in a much more respectable school.
    I really truly feel though sometimes these mothers DO want their daughters out of this nonsense, but Lifetime basically has used some sort of contract agreement with them as a way to keep them there.

I feel this way for Holly and Nia anyway - I think the other moms really just want the drama and it's about them.

These young girls honestly have more class, and I wish the focus WAS on them more.

That bellowing cow shouldn't be teaching anything. She's spiteful, cruel and manipulative. It's sad that these dance moms put such a value on winning that they'd subject their children to this abuse.

The disrespecting paying clients thing is true. One could never do that around here.

I am not sure why she is yanking Holly's chains. Holly's presence lessens overall mom evilness present? She needs attention? She could never assert that she is unsupportive of her daughter.

I bet the producers set Candy up with some aces for a huge smack down. And which will win?

To do well the students have to be lithe. Otherwise they give off a more athletic vibe than dancer...I never had any kind of grace to consider that. I probably would not consider that for my daughter if I had one.

Abby and the moms feed on one another. I have never heard a parent call a teacher a whore before. Parents using children for accolades.
    Last edited by Lizard; 01-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    That bellowing cow shouldn't be teaching anything. She's spiteful, cruel and manipulative. It's sad that these dance moms put such a value on winning that they'd subject their children to this abuse.
    I have two daughters in competitive sports (they used to be in dance as well) & if I heard one of their coaches speaking to them (or me) like this woman does, they would have to surgically remove my foot from their ass. I understand that some degree of toughness in a coach is required for success. This woman isn't tough, she's just loud & obnoxious and clearly in need of anger management. As for the mothers, I cannot understand why they would pay for the dubious privilege of Abby's tutelage when it appears to consist mainly of verbal abuse.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Omg I would rip Abbey a new one. What a dreadful cow she is. This is the first episode of this show I have watched.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I mentioned this upthread, but to support what everyone else is saying.....The dance studios I attended produced many professional dancers - I'm talking one MAJOR name in ballet, members of the biggest companies in the country (Boston, ABT, NYBT, SF Ballet, etc.), dancers on Broadway (and not just one show - many shows), dancers in Vegas, various Disney parks, TV shows, including Star Search, the Oscars, etc. Not once did I ever see a teacher yell at or berate students anywhere near the way Abby does....not even when I was a teenager. If any teacher or coach had spoken to ANY student in my class the way Abby does, my mom would have yanked my butt out of that class so fast.

I can't believe she speaks to little girls that way. It's bad enough she speaks to anyone that way. I had one ballet teacher get super annoyed because no one in class was listening to him. He got really short, but that was nothing compared to the way Abby is and we were teenagers. I still remember us all being freaked out though 'cause he was a total surfer dude and never raised his voice.

It took me a while to figure out who the "Candy" is that everyone was talking about here. It's Cathy who owns Candy Apple. I did like that she didn't give the first solo to her own daughter. It's especially good since her daughter is marginally talented. Sweet girl, but it's clear her talents - and interests - are not in dance.

I'm pleased that so far anyway, the girls are nice to each other and don't seem to be modeling their ill-behaved mothers. I did wince when Chloe referred to "my fans"

Does Abby not understand that, if Holly doesn't go to work, she won't be able to pay for Nia's dance lessons? Those things are actually related! I'm glad that Holly is there to counteract all the rude things that Abby says to Nia, but I think it's sad that she has to.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I cannot believe Candy/Cathy was ever a dancer. I think editing may play a part in this, but it's obvious that her dancers are just not that good. And I wish upon a star that she would listen to her daughter, Vivi, and let her be her own person.

I've seen authority figures wallow in the control they feel they have over others ... this is Abby Lee to a tee. She is intimidated by Holly, because Holly earned a PhD, she's a principal - and you just know Abby was in the principal's office many times when she deigned to attend school, and Holly's never been afraid of her. I don't believe Abby puts education as a priority, because she doesn't care how late these girls are up on school nights (practice from 4:30 to 9:30??) or if they'll get their homework done. Yet, she blasts teachers when her girls can't do "interviews" well ... !
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I don't believe Abby puts education as a priority, because she doesn't care how late these girls are up on school nights (practice from 4:30 to 9:30??) or if they'll get their homework done. Yet, she blasts teachers when her girls can't do "interviews" well ... !
    Yeah, there's NO WAY Abby thinks education should be a priority....unless she's giving an interview and doesn't want to sound like a complete beast.

I watched the cast on Anderson a few days ago and one of the mothers - I can't remember which one - actually claimed that all of the girls get straight A's. I call b.s. on that. There's no way those children have time to study with the rehearsal schedule Abby has them on.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread