+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 116 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree757Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

The backlash begins!
    'Dance Moms'
    Banned From Dance Competition

The producers behind the Lifetime reality show "Dance Moms" have been banned from one of the biggest children's dance competitions in the country ... after event organizers complained about the way the event was portrayed on the show last year.

"Dance Moms" is a show about intense mothers who enter their young daughters into dance competitions ... and during Season 1, the second episode focused on a HUGE competition in Pennsylvania called StarQuest.

TMZ spoke with SQ associate producer Michael Ian Cedar who claims producers did not air the true results of the competition ... and edited the footage in a way that misled viewers into believing certain dancers were competing against each other .... when in fact they were not.

Cedar also claims "Moms" producers misled him into thinking the show was about young girls in the competitive dancing world -- not about their catty foulmouthed mothers.

Despite SQ's grievances, Cedar tells us "Moms" producers once again reached out to SQ ... hoping to feature a StarQuest event on Season 2. Cedar claims he shot down the request.

TMZ spoke with "Moms" producer Jeff Collins ... who brushed off Cedar's editing allegations as "nonsense" ... adding, "We're sorry he feels misled ... we'd love to work with StarQuest again."

Collins also insists the show has not had any problems with any of the other competitions featured on "Dance Moms" ... claiming the show has been welcomed back for Season 2 by every organization except StarQuest.
    'Dance Moms' -- Banned From Dance Competition | TMZ.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thought it would just be a matter of time until things like that started happening regarding the banning from competitions. I've been to SQ and they have always run a great competition in my state. They don't need this drama and I'm sure other studios think of it as a distraction for the work they have done all year to compete. There are plenty of smaller competitions that would probably love the added attention a show like Dance Moms would bring to them, so it's not like DM's won't find competitions to go to, just not the big name ones. If my daughter still danced on Performing Lines, I would object to participating at a competition if TV cameras were around filming this particular reality tv show.

Good for StarQuest banning the show. I personally think a lot of them are going to do the same thing because of what happened. It may make AbbyLee studios relook at their teaching and the show's producers the editing.

That said... I really feel for the girls who just want to compete and compete in such a premiere show. But, I'm not surprised given the vile nature of some of the moms and Abby's attitude and actions. I know of coaches blacklisted for saying things far less intense.

I like this show. If I had a daughter I would like to see her in tv. That age does not know ramifications. Some of those mothers.....hideous personalities
    You can do it!

The thing about this show that irks me is how mom and Abby are portrayed. Everything seems to escalate so quickly and everyone seems to be yelling in a matter of minutes!!!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My daughter used to be involved with community rec center dance classes, which was nothing like this show. I watched an episode for the first time this weekend - curiosity raised by what I'd read here.

I have only one comment. If I had been that concerned about the costumes and the dance that the mothers weren't happy about (and I wouldn't have liked them either), my daughter would NOT have gone on stage and danced that way in that outfit. Abby kept saying, "Go ask the girls if they like them," and the mothers kept responding, "They're kids - they don't understand how inappropriate the routine and costumes were." The moms were absolutely right. But it was THEIR responsiblity to know exactly what that dance involved and what they would be wearing, and to put a stop to it beforehand or pull their girls out of the routine. They did not protect their daughters, and they allowed someone else to lead their daughters to do something they did not approve of. Makes no sense to me, other than the drama factor. And kids should not be exploited for the sake of drama.

JMO.

Soooo ... Abby certainly hasn't learned a thing from season 1 in handling situations around kids and/or appropriate discussions with kids. I was hoping that she'd at least have learned not to talk about the moms in front of the kids.

Duh, how is Holly gonna pay for Nia's membership in the Abby Lee Dance Company if she doesn't show up to work when expected? Does she really think Holly wants to miss Nia's competition?? Raving Lunatic. And yes, your perspective does change when you have children. I taught school for 5 or so years before my first daughter was born, and there was a huge difference in my perspective when I returned.

I am glad that Kelly is letting Brooke and Paige have a break from 24/7 dance.

New mom and daughter ... don't know enough yet but she'll quickly find out how Melissa works the game.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I didn't understand the cattle call audition for the one opening at all. Abby said she specifically turned down Payton (I think that was her name), who'd been with her studio for a number of years, because she was too tall and too old. Clearly there were others there that were as tall and as old who were also cut. Why, in heaven's name, didn't she specify that she would only be auditioning girls under a certain height and/or between certain ages? It would have been so much simpler and kinder for everyone involved, and it would not have been unusual in the least. Audition listings often specify the ages for which the director is looking, simply to cut down on the number of people that need to be seen and considered.

And yeah, if Holly needs to work, she needs to work. A working mom is hardly an oddity these days, and it was plain mean-spirited of Abby to say that Nia wasn't "all that swift" and needed a parent there to remember things for her. Actually, Nia is pretty sharp and funny for her age in the little clips they show of her individually. I think Holly is right and that Abby is somewhat intimidated by her, because Holly doesn't stoop to her level and start screaming in order to win an argument. I strongly suspect Holly is also not looking to live through her child or expecting that Nia is necessarily going to make dance her career or become famous for her dancing--and that she's fine with that. And I think that makes Nia pretty lucky.

I did feel a little sorry for the new girl, as she had to learn a solo in three days, knowing she was on "probation." That's a lot of pressure for an adult, much less a child. And that top to her costume was awful--it looked like she'd been swallowed by an unattractive Muppet. Her mother also reminds me of someone, and it's bugging me, because I can't think of who it is, but she resembles someone.

I don't get the manufactured competition with Candy Apples either. It's pretty clear that Candy Apples is a much smaller studio and realistically probably isn't going to be competitive with Abby Lee Dance Studio, so the whole thing looks petty. Why not show another studio that's more on the same level with ALDS and how that studio operates? Actually, I'd like that mostly because I'd like to think there's a dance studio out there that's successful that's run by someone who doesn't feel the need to treat his/her students the way Abby treats hers. There's simply no excuse for her badmouthing parents in front of the girls or taking out her feelings about the mothers on the daughters. I also really hate how she seems to think that dance has to be the center of these little girls' lives and that if it isn't, they're wrong, lazy, stupid etc. Maybe dance isn't their only interest or talent and they'd like to pursue other things as well. Very few little girls are ever going to make a career out of dancing, and even if they do, dancers' careers are often fairly short. It's good idea that their other interests and talents be nurtured as well for that reason alone.

And geez, I'd forgotten how annoying I find Abby's voice. It's so hoarse and loud and brash that I just want to tell her to shut up, no matter what she's saying.
    mom2 likes this.

I need to find it and set the recorder. This show makes me shriek with laughter.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I didn't understand the cattle call audition for the one opening at all. Abby said she specifically turned down Payton (I think that was her name), who'd been with her studio for a number of years, because she was too tall and too old. Clearly there were others there that were as tall and as old who were also cut. Why, in heaven's name, didn't she specify that she would only be auditioning girls under a certain height and/or between certain ages? It would have been so much simpler and kinder for everyone involved, and it would not have been unusual in the least. Audition listings often specify the ages for which the director is looking, simply to cut down on the number of people that need to be seen and considered.
    I agree - I think though she had it open due to her worries of discrimination suits or the like. Or she delights in embarrassing and humiliating people so she can promote her studio.

And yeah, if Holly needs to work, she needs to work. A working mom is hardly an oddity these days, and it was plain mean-spirited of Abby to say that Nia wasn't "all that swift" and needed a parent there to remember things for her. Actually, Nia is pretty sharp and funny for her age in the little clips they show of her individually. I think Holly is right and that Abby is somewhat intimidated by her, because Holly doesn't stoop to her level and start screaming in order to win an argument. I strongly suspect Holly is also not looking to live through her child or expecting that Nia is necessarily going to make dance her career or become famous for her dancing--and that she's fine with that. And I think that makes Nia pretty lucky.
    Holly is the ONLY person I see Abby intimidated with - usually Abby has to walk away from the argument and many times she sounds defeated because her comebacks are lame.

Holly is the only one I've seen Abby back down from.

I also agree on her assessment and realizing the difference between reality and a "reality" TV show. Nia will end up being a stronger woman when this is all over because of it.

I did feel a little sorry for the new girl, as she had to learn a solo in three days, knowing she was on "probation." That's a lot of pressure for an adult, much less a child. And that top to her costume was awful--it looked like she'd been swallowed by an unattractive Muppet. Her mother also reminds me of someone, and it's bugging me, because I can't think of who it is, but she resembles someone.
    You know, if I were that mom and I had Abby treat my daughter that way knowing these circumstances, I'd go "(bleep) you Abby and your studio if you're going to put my daughter in unrealistic situations like this."

No one especially girls of that age deserves to be treated like that or even honestly put on probation to be in a studio. I'm not saying "everyone plays" mind you but I feel like you should be allowed to learn something properly before you're put on the probation period to be tested. Three days is unrealistic.

I don't get the manufactured competition with Candy Apples either. It's pretty clear that Candy Apples is a much smaller studio and realistically probably isn't going to be competitive with Abby Lee Dance Studio, so the whole thing looks petty. Why not show another studio that's more on the same level with ALDS and how that studio operates? Actually, I'd like that mostly because I'd like to think there's a dance studio out there that's successful that's run by someone who doesn't feel the need to treat his/her students the way Abby treats hers. There's simply no excuse for her badmouthing parents in front of the girls or taking out her feelings about the mothers on the daughters. I also really hate how she seems to think that dance has to be the center of these little girls' lives and that if it isn't, they're wrong, lazy, stupid etc. Maybe dance isn't their only interest or talent and they'd like to pursue other things as well. Very few little girls are ever going to make a career out of dancing, and even if they do, dancers' careers are often fairly short. It's good idea that their other interests and talents be nurtured as well for that reason alone.
    I'd rather see this too, but Candy is such a fame grubber that she'd do whatever it takes to keep her studio on the airwaves. That said, I can't believe she'd put her studio at risk with what she allegedly does next week. This IS televised and unless it's a ratings generator going on here, what she does - if she's found guilty of it - will DESTROY her studio's credibility. That is NOT worth the 15 mins. of fame.

And geez, I'd forgotten how annoying I find Abby's voice. It's so hoarse and loud and brash that I just want to tell her to shut up, no matter what she's saying.
    She sounds like a donkey braying with laryngitis. She also sounds bullying no matter WHAT she says. Even her praising people then turns to intimidation toward the others to "Do better."

+ Reply to Thread