+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I agree Maddie's dad shouldn't have been backstage before she danced; however, Abby needed to have handled it better because if you don't, you too can affect the dancer.

Admittedly I haven't watched all of this episode - I've got enough headaches in the real world before I go on a trip - but I've seen enough of this ep to make that notation.

Sad it is getting a second season though - though it would be interesting to see if all this nonsense has had a major impact on her studio. (Or Abby managed to find some way to threaten a suit for bad PR and they're doing a second season to make reparations and try to keep her afloat...)

Kelly (Brooke & Paige's Mom) IMHO was wayyyy out of line to say such a thing to Abby. Go to another studio if you're unhappy, but what are you teaching your daughters?

Melissa leaving was horrible.....wonder if next season they'll show this "boyfriend".

FORT Fogey

What I'm most curious about with regard to a second season is whether it will focus on the same dancers or other dancers. I'm thinking Holly may have had enough and Nia may not be involved, even if she continues to dance. It wouldn't surprise me to see Brooke at the point where she's just burned out and flat out refuses to be involved anymore. I don't think she's very happy about being there, and I really don't blame her. She's at a different stage of her life than the other girls, even if she's only a few years older--the difference between ten and thirteen can be fairly significant for girls.

If the same girls are involved, I feel a bit sorry for them. They looked kind of worn out to me at the end of this last marathon of competitions, all of them so far from home. It's also been a lot of pressure on them to learn so many different dances, and at least one of them--Chloe, I think--mentioned how much different it is to have to compete with a new routine every week. Perhaps that's contributing to some of Chloe's anxiety. If you're used to having more time to perfect a dance to the point that you're really comfortable with it, that's a hard adjustment to make.

Kiz

I watched the show last night, and it looks like the new season may or may not have the same dancers. There's going to be tryouts, so there could be new faces. The parents and girls were so excited about the music video, that I think, in the end, they thought it was all worthwhile. The moms did agree that having to learn new dances every week was helpful for the girls during the tryouts in Hollywood.

Boy, did they show an ugly side to Melissa, not that they haven't played up her competitiveness in the past, but it was ramped up when the stakes got higher. After seeing last night's episode, I wouldn't be the least surprised to find out she was purposely sabotaging the other girls with their costumes and music.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I was really glad that Maddie didn't get the lead in that video, not only because it is good for her to NOT get first place in everything. Really though, the second they showed the singer, it was clear that Chloe would get the part. Those two could be sisters. When they showed the video, there were moments when I couldn't tell which was Chloe and which was the singer.

I really felt for MacKenzie. She a LITTLE kid. Don't talk to her about her reputation in the business! Sheesh. Talk about being dramatic.

Really, I think Christi has a chip on her shoulder about Maddie and Abby. I hope she changes her tune when she sees the show and all the complimentary things Abby says about Chloe.

I can't say I blame Abby for working less with Brooke and Paige. Kelly does nothing but complain and swear....in front of the kids! She needs to look at her own behavior before she starts pointing fingers. The reason Maddie enjoys perks is that her mother is accomodating and Maddie works her butt of without complaint.

Maybe it's too much to hope for that these moms see themselves on the show and adjust their behavior. They don't seem too big on self-realization.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I figured either Chloe or Paige would get it, but it seemed like Chloe was a carbon copy of the singer. Glad she got it, despite Melissa's shenanigans.

I like all of the girls, but the moms all have their quirks. Melissa set up her boyfriend to pay for the girls' tuition, sucks up to Abby to get the girls' extra attention, and then tried to schmooze the director for the part. I really believe she deliberately mismanages the music and costumes to further her daughters. Christie is oversensitive, but I think she is spot on about Abby favoring Maddy. She's pinning her hopes on Maddy, so the others are great, but Maddy's the STAR. I loved Chloe's acting and whole performance. She really proved herself.

Why was Kelli the only one who had costume problems?? Could it be because Brooke used to be the favorite and someone in charge of music and costumes can't take the chance she'd regain that spot?? It just seems too much of a coincidence that this family is always the one who gets screwed on costumes. She cursed in front of the kids, which is not okay, but I could understand her frustration. She just needs to work on her vocabulary and do it away from the girls.

Holly and Nia were fun, I loved how Nia knew she wasn't in the running so she did the death drop to wow them. Nice Job, Nia ...

It'll be interesting if we ever see Cathy and poor Vivi again. I wish she'd HEAR what Vivi said and let her be her own person, let her quit dance and try something else. She's a beautiful girl but didn't seem happy.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Kiz

If this article is correct, we'll be seeing all the same moms with Cathy to make cameo appearances.

'Dance Moms' renewed
    Lifetime has renewed the shot-in-Penn Hills reality show "Dance Moms" for a second season.

Instructor Abby Lee Miller will be back for 13 more episodes where she'll undoubtedly continue to yell at the mothers of her young dance students. The show averaged 1.6 million viewers in its first season, growing 62 percent since its premiere. The first-season finale is set to air Wednesday.

All the Pittsburgh moms -- Christi, Kelly, Holly and Melissa -- are expected to return, according to a Lifetime publicist. Cathy, a "Dance Mom" from Ohio, also will be back but may not appear in every episode.
    Read more: Tuned In: 'Boston' Rob Mariano travels 'round the world in '80 Ways'
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I figured either Chloe or Paige would get it, but it seemed like Chloe was a carbon copy of the singer. Glad she got it, despite Melissa's shenanigans.

I like all of the girls, but the moms all have their quirks. Melissa set up her boyfriend to pay for the girls' tuition, sucks up to Abby to get the girls' extra attention, and then tried to schmooze the director for the part. I really believe she deliberately mismanages the music and costumes to further her daughters. Christie is oversensitive, but I think she is spot on about Abby favoring Maddy. She's pinning her hopes on Maddy, so the others are great, but Maddy's the STAR. I loved Chloe's acting and whole performance. She really proved herself.

Why was Kelli the only one who had costume problems?? Could it be because Brooke used to be the favorite and someone in charge of music and costumes can't take the chance she'd regain that spot?? It just seems too much of a coincidence that this family is always the one who gets screwed on costumes. She cursed in front of the kids, which is not okay, but I could understand her frustration. She just needs to work on her vocabulary and do it away from the girls.

Holly and Nia were fun, I loved how Nia knew she wasn't in the running so she did the death drop to wow them. Nice Job, Nia ...

It'll be interesting if we ever see Cathy and poor Vivi again. I wish she'd HEAR what Vivi said and let her be her own person, let her quit dance and try something else. She's a beautiful girl but didn't seem happy.

I forgot to say how much I loved Nia doing that death drop and how she acknowledged that she knew there was no way she was getting the part, so she decided to have fun and show off what she could do. She seemed to have such a healthy attitude about it--knowing that not everyone is right for every opportunity--amid all the hyper-competitiveness. But then, her mom seems the least nuts too. The only times she's really confronted Abby, it's been about larger issues, like her discomfort with Nia doing dances that supported stereotypical images of African-Americans and Abby trying to pass them off as folk or cultural dances, when they're not. I also noticed that in the video, there were a couple of shots of Nia and wondered if she got some on-camera time precisely because of the way she auditioned.d I suspect if Nia decides she's not really all that interested in dancing anymore and would rather try something else, Holly will be fine with it. Maybe that's because Holly isn't a frustrated dancer herself and isn't trying to live through the accomplishments of her daughter, because she has plenty of accomplishments of her own.

I was also glad that Chloe got the part, because she really was the best choice, given the circumstances, and Maddie needed the experience of not being everybody's top choice every single time. For that matter, I didn't especially like Melissa's tactics in attempting to get her daughter an advantage--nor did I like all that pressure put on Mackenzie. For heaven's sake, she's a lot younger than the others and was having trouble keeping up and her partner was even more confused that she was. Of course she got frustrated and being so young, she didn't handle it the way a more polished, professional is--because she isn't one and no one should have expected she was one, including Abby. Good grief, if her reputation rests on a single six year old, she needs to rethink her studio and her her attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    ... Good grief, if her reputation rests on a single six year old, she needs to rethink her studio and her her attitude.

So very true. Lighten up AbbyLee.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I wonder if the whole season was overdone with Maddie always winning to culminate with Chloe winning the role in the end. They had the whole season worth of material to work with when they edited. I think perhaps the Maddie always wins and Chloe does not to be amped up for drama. Not saying that Maddie does not win more, but I think they really jumped on that issue more than maybe is true in reality.

I do not think that Brooke, Paige, Nia, nor Mckenzie are any better of dancers than any dance school produces. I do not see how they are on a television show and amped up so much. Maddie and Chloe belong in competitive dance, and really could realistically have a future in dance. I do not know if the others could be good with more attention, but none of them are being shown as any better than my daughters or any other non competitive dancers that I have seen.

+ Reply to Thread