+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 122 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Kiz

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

FYI: I was setting up my DVR for the week and didn't see Dance Moms on the cable line up. I checked the Dance Moms' web site, and while I didn't find any official information about when the final two shows will be aired, someone commented that Dance Moms is skipping another week and will be back on next week and the week after.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Hmmm... I'm wondering with all the "Toddlers and Tiaras" controversy, and the comments we're all making (valid ones, but harsh in their eyes) that they're trying to hold off on it to hope that we've calmed down and such.

In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if they're having to hold it because Abby is LOSING dancers after watching this - as in seeing the way she behaves toward people - and Abby is threatening to sue the network. (She'd lose, but still...)

IDK... this show is a huge hit around my area by moms, daughters... dancers, non-dancers. I think Abby could easily get picked up for another season--as much as that thought gags me! I stand by earlier comments that this is the MOST scripted "reality" show I've watched but they are pulling in the viewers. I bet Abby has many more mother/daughters approaching her to be put into the show. Just not sure how much different drama they can create each week that hasn't already been shown. The one thing I think the show has done well, is to keep the drama a bit above the dancers and mostly between Abby and the Moms. They try to show conflict or competition between some girls but honestly, in real dance studios, it's the dancers who bring alot of the nasty drama with teachers/studio owners/ and moms as secondary drama.

FORT Fogey

I'm watching the final episode right now and wondering if Abby's studio's financial difficulties are due to the economy or her almost complete lack of people skills. She can't seem to have a discussion with anyone about anything. It's her way or the highway. She even creates problems where they don't exist. If it makes Maddie nervous to see her dad before she performs, take him aside ahead of time--he's been there all day--and tell him nicely that even though he means well by wanting to be with her daughter, for some reason seeing him before she performs makes her nervous. If he was an athlete, appeal to that. Point out that like lots of athletes, Maddie has little superstitions and pre-performance rituals that don't make any sense but make her feel better about going out to perform. Then make sure he has an opportunity to congratulate her after her performance. He doesn't seem like a completely unreasonable guy. He just needs to be schmoozed a little. Instead, she has a big, screaming fight with him within Maddie's earshot. Dumb. Just dumb.

Well, the group number won, so Abby can gloat about how wonderful her studio is and how she "made" Maddie. Seriously, I think Maddie "made" herself. Of course she had help, but it's her talent up there on stage, and she deserves credit for it.

Abbie then "surprises" the girls with another trip to L.A. right after nationals--and the moms do not look thrilled. Seriously, when are these little girls going to get a break? And they're going just to audition for what looks like a fairly tacky music video? Would it have hurt to ask if the parents how they felt about that first?

Oh, and I felt so sorry for Chloe. I think she just screwed up her solo, because she was tired and overwhelmed and having a bad day. It happens to everyone, including very polished performers. Good for her for coming back in the duet with Maddie, however, and good for Maddie and Chloe for being supportive of each other even when all the adults around them seem to be at each other's throats.

I also thought, good as it was, that Maddie's solo looked a lot like the other solos Abbie's choreographed for her. I don't think it would hurt any of the girls to work with a different choreographer now and again. If nothing else, it would expose them to different ideas and ways of learning and give them an idea of what they like doing best and what works best for them. It's kind of like a figure skater who always works with the same choreographer. The programs may be great, but after a while, they start to look similar, and the skater never gets to experiment much. Sometimes it's refreshing to change choreographers even for one program in one season.

I guess I wish Abbie would worry less about her studio's reputation and more about what her students are learning--and not just about dance.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Kiz

I checked my DVR after reading Tilden's post, and I had it set up to auto record new Dance Moms episodes, and it recorded. When I checked earlier this week, Dance Moms wasn't showing up on my cable line up. There must have been a mix up, but it's weird that on the Lifetime web site, someone said it wasn't going to be shown this week or next.

There's also going to be one more episode next week, so this one wasn't the final. And, it turns out, it was picked up for another season.

Cover story: Lifetime gets real - CNN.com

(cut)By offering more reality programming, Lifetime is merely bearing witness to what the data continues to show -- unscripted shows bring in viewers.

According to a recent report by The Nielsen Company, reality shows draw the largest share of the U.S. TV audience, 56.4% for the 2010-2011 season, up from 47.9% the year before.

Lifetime has found success with "Dance Moms," a reality show about young dancers and their moms, which was renewed for a second season on Tuesday. The "Toddlers and Tiara's"-like dance show, set in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, reeled in about 1.8 million viewers its last episode.

Meanwhile, about 2.4 million people tuned in for "Project Runway" last Thursday, a show which Lifetime acquired in 2009.(cut)
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Not all but a lot of women that do not have children of their own just do not get the bonds that parents have with their children. Abby needs to realize that she is the dance teacher and all other aspects are for the parents to decide. If Maddie's father wanted to be back there, that is his right. He is paying for the classes. If Maddie has a problem with it, than her and her parents need to deal with it. Abby is pulling these kids between her and their parents and she threatens them so much that it is almost abusive. Telling them they are replaceable is horrid. Can you imagine the uproar if one of the parents said they could easily give birth or adopt and replace the child? This is horrible coming from any respected adult to tell a child they are replaceable.

I really do see Brooke and Paige's mother's point. However, her swearing and crass attitude is not acceptable. She needs to clearly state her point maturely, and if Abby does not agree than go elsewhere. Methinks that Abby knows she has them over a barrel because I do not see any of them willingly leaving this setting now especially being on television.

Maddie's father isn't paying the dance bill, Melissa's boyfriend is. I think there is a history of bad blood between Abby & Maddie's dad due to the fact that he blames dancing for ruining his marriage/family. I also don't believe he had the right to go backstage before the girls while the girls were getting ready for their preformance. These are young girls & there isn't a reason for someone else's father to be back there while they are getting ready. Brooke is a 13 year old young lady. Maddie's dad IMHO was way out of line. He was looking for his 15 seconds & he got it. From what I saw he came off as a bully not to say that Abby is just as guilty of being a bully.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Taking everything at face value ... I'm in Maddie's dad's corner. He does have a right to know everything that's going on in his daughters' lives. As far as being backstage, he should knock first in case any of the girls are not dressed. I don't agree with Melissa's going off on vacation with her boyfriend and then objecting when her girls' father comes in. He has every right to be there, whether she or Abby likes it or not.

That said, I agree with Tilden's suggestion of how to handle him making Maddie nervous. Don't make him disappear, just let him know it's not helpful to her for him to see her just before she goes on.

I would like to see the moms band together at once to tell Abby the next time she puts them down to the kids they all walk. I don't for one second believe she'd allow that, especially the thought of losing Maddie.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, but if Maddie doesn't want him backstage, he shouldn't be backstage. He's clearly not in touch with what his daughter needs. If he cared about HER needs instead of his own, he wouldn't force the issue and would do what SHE needs him to do. Part of being there for your kids is knowing when to not be there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree with you Tilden. There s a time & place for the non-custodial parent to be a part of their children's lives. Of course a dance pagent does qualify. The time to be a participant is NOT 5 minutes before your daughter takes the stage. Wouldn't have been 100% better to stay in the audience & go backstage with perhaps flowers for both daughters AFTER they have finished performing??? I will admit I haven't seen the first few episodes but in the ones I saw I never noticed this father being at any other competitions.
    Melissa was 1,000% WRONG to go on vacation with her boyfriend during this time...PERIOD...no matter how much she trusts Abby or Gianna but then she does have to please the man who is payig for dancing...sigh!
    Abby is a strick task master, no question about that but those girls absolutely love her & she in turn makes them winners and stars. When she took Chloe aside & Chloe asked her if Abby thinks she could be a Rockette or on Broadway & Abby told her 'of course you can, you have the talent'.
    Brooke & Paige's Mom wanted another chorographer & to make her own costumes. She got what she wanted so why complain that you had to buy a bra at the mall for the costumes? You chose that but that isn't what she really wanted. 12 hours of dance & 8 hours of school...so these girls get 4 hours of sleep at the most? Are these mothers insane?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread