+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree759Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I have noticed a repeat one day and then a marathon up to and including the new episode kinda like how they do Project Runway. That said, given that supposedly the next episode is nationals, they might be taking a break to try and build up drama. I don't think this show is doing all that well in regard to ratings - which I feel is a good thing. I just feel bad for the girls on this show and hope that in some cases, such as Brooke, their moms will watch this, realize what fools they've been and take steps to help their daughters succeed - with Abby or without up to them.

We didn't get a new episode, but did see a preview for next week where Kelli (Paige and Brooke's mom) fires back at Abby about her weight. Abby started the whole mess, so she got what she deserved. imo.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Well, that's kind of annoying. The site I looked at showed a new episode on the schedule. Do we have only one more episode or two?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the show was heavily scripted, but there are, sadly, all kinds of accounts of kids being turned over to coaches that have turned out champions without a lot of concern as to how the coaches have done so. For example, Bela Karolyi turned out a lot of gold medalists in women's gymnastics, but there are also a lot of people now questioning his methods in doing so--but when he was churning out those gold medalists, parents were still turning their daughters over to him, even when they saw what it was doing to some of them. Some parents want that gold medal or that Broadway performer so badly that it allows them to look past the abuse or see it for something else--discipline, hard work etc.
    There is a big difference between having your kid being trained to be an Olympic Champion and this crazy broad.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm wondering why we haven't seen any of Abby's success stories. The ones she's always throwing around to prove her method works ... ??
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I'm wondering why we haven't seen any of Abby's success stories. The ones she's always throwing around to prove her method works ... ??
    Maybe because they succeeded even WITH her training and they want nothing more to do with her???
    mom2 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    There is a big difference between having your kid being trained to be an Olympic Champion and this crazy broad.

Parents who get overly-involved with the idea of their children hitting it big on Broadway or in the movies aren't that much different than those who get obsessed with the idea of producing an Olympic champion. In both cases, they're trying to live through their children's dreams. As a result, they don't necessarily see the craziness or the odds against success the way the rest of the world does.

That is not to say that there aren't supportive, caring parents of children who excel at sports or music or dance or theatre. It's just that some parents start seeing things unrealistically, and it's the kids who end up paying for it.

I, honestly, can see Maddie on Broadway in the future. That girl is extremely talented and I don't think it would matter, who is her coach/teacher. She has a natural talent, a gift.

The other girls are okay...don't really think of any of them continuing as a career choice. Could be wrong though! JMHO.
    <3 Though, Vivi didn't even look like she enjoyed dancing.....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    I, honestly, can see Maddie on Broadway in the future. That girl is extremely talented and I don't think it would matter, who is her coach/teacher. She has a natural talent, a gift.

The other girls are okay...don't really think of any of them continuing as a career choice. Could be wrong though! JMHO.
    <3 Though, Vivi didn't even look like she enjoyed dancing.....

I think it's a bit early to tell if any of them, no matter how gifted, has a shot at Broadway or Hollywood. For Maddie's sake, I hope that if her turn comes, it's a ways down the road, when it's clearer that she'd absolutely be doing it for herself and not her mother or Abby. Besides, children have a way of being eaten up and spit out by the entertainment business. For every Ron Howard or Melissa Gilbert, who manages to keep working despite some times of unemployment, there are a lot of Lindsay Lohans, who get into real trouble. Often, the ones who do survive, whether they continue in the business or not, are the ones with some kind of stable support system that isn't dependent on their career success. I'm not sure Maddie has that.

I watched a couple of episodes of this and found it painful to see what the kids go thru and the parents. I think I must have missed what Abby's credentials were that had everyone wanting her as a teacher!
    This is one case where I would be glad to hear that its all scripted and the kids are playing along for the drama etc. Otherwise it would be hard to watch.

+ Reply to Thread