+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I think that the changes Lifetime has made to the way Abby probably normally does things is what is going to cause her problems. The pyramid and making the girls learn new numbers each week are both ridiculous. I don't know if she's being encouraged to talk smack abut the mother's in front of the girls but, either way, that's totally out of bounds. Those girls should be allowed to have fun and do their best. They should not have to be involved with this adult drama.

I competed in events in Vegas and we never tailored the routines to the location. One routine had costumes that were sort of "show girl-ish" with feather headpieces, but we performed that routine for MONTHS at various events. We knew that routine so well that one of the competitors from another studio said something like (when we all were swimming at the hotel pool) "Oh, you guys are the perfect ones." We performed that routine so many times that I STILL know it, nearly 30 years later!

Anyone who expects these children to keep up such a demanding schedule is kidding themselves.

Just like with Little League, most of these dancers won't have professional careers. The most important thing any dance studio can do is make sure the kids have fun! Of course you teach them good technique and challenge them, but if they aren't having fun, why would they want to do it? The first studio I went to was VERY competitive and, although I stayed there for tap, I went to another studio for ballet and jazz. That studio was all about fun and wasn't so concerned with competitions. When they inevitably got too obsessed with winning and competitions, I left. I was always in the top groups, but it wasn't fun any more. It went from being a fun, family-feeling to being a cut-throat, pressure-filled place. The change at that studio alienated a lot of really talented dancers, including some who could have had a professional career. I probably would have danced for many more years if overly ambitious adults hadn't ruined it for me.

I felt bad for Chloe and KNEW her mother would find something else to bitch about, even if Maddie wasn't in the mix. I also felt for Maddie, who absolutely should have competed in Vegas.

I have to wonder why, if Paige didn't have her costume yet, her mother didn't do something sooner. If it was my kid, I would have had a back-up costume ready to go, just in case. Lord knows, that kid's probably got a dozen costumes that would have worked just fine.

ETA: as for Cathy's studio, does anyone believe that Vivi was one of the top 3 dancers at that studio? She's a cute kid but, sorry, she is not a dancer. I think she'd be much happier if her mother let her quit dance and quit pushing her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I agree that if the point is to get kids physically active and doing something they love that they might continue to do later at some level, competitive or not, then they need to enjoy themselves. That doesn't mean they don't have to work or practice, but that they find some enjoyment in gaining skills, getting better than they were (even if they're never the best), and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Unfortunately, I don't think that is the point at Abby's studio. I think the point there is to win and/or maintain Abby's reputation as a teacher/choreographer--and in the cases of some mothers, to allow them to live through their daughters' accomplishments. That isn't healthy for anyone involved.

And yeah, I don't buy that Vivi was one of the top three dancers at her studio either. Even if I hadn't seen her dance, I'd be suspicious about that, because all the rest of the kids standing there were older and probably had years more dance training. Unless they were terrible or she was tremendous, it wouldn't make sense that she'd be one of the top three. I also kind of wondered if the boy was chosen because there are generally fewer boys in dance. I was a little confused about where Cathy's studio is. Is it quite far from Abby's? If it is, might there not be a nearer studio at which Vivi could have gotten decent experience with a teacher other than her mother?

IMHO Cathy has a higher opinion of Vivi than just about anybody & she should since she is her mother. I really don't like to say negative things about a child but I did notice she was always a beat behind the girl she was doing her duo with. Cathy had Vivi join Abby Lee to put her dance studioon the map. I don't think she put her best image forward.

One thing I can honestly say is those girls really love Abby. Did you notice Brooke went to Abby before her mother after she got off the stage with the shoulder injury. I would have thought she would have went straight to her mom.
    It is their mothers who are creating the havoc. If you are so unhappy with Abby take your daughter to a different studio. Oh wait...you want them to be stars....so you put up with Abby mistreating you & your daughters...in your opinion.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 09-09-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If Melissa's the one in charge of the costumes and music, and she keeps screwing up, Abby needs to take those jobs away from her. If she's truly concerned about her students and her studio, she should want someone in charge who can get the job done. I just can't figure out why the same problems keep happening over and over again, unless they have monumentally bad luck.
    Because Abby NEEDS Maddie to win. If she fires Melissa there goes Maddie. Didn't Melissa give Paige her music 15 minutes before going on stage?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

My favorite part of this last episode was when the moms were at the pool getting chatted up by those dancers. One of the moms told the guys that Holly got her PhD from Penn and one of them said something like "They make the tennis balls, right?" Way to reinforce a stereotype there, buddy.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Newbie

Cathy's dance studio is in North Canton, Oh, which is aboot 60 miles south of Cleveland. Not exactly a hot bed of sophistication. The gal who cuts my hair went to that studio as a child.
    Last edited by catty2; 09-10-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

FORT Fogey

I saw a couple of episodes of Dance Moms this afternoon that either I hadn't seen before or hadn't seen in their entireties before now. They did not improve my impression of Abby as a teacher or a human being.

She told Chloe that she didn't want to know why she and her mother had been crying and hugging in front of the studio, that she was there to dance, that Maddie was already in the studio working and why wasn't she? Oh, I don't know, maybe because her mother was telling her a family member was in the hospital and she had to go be with her rather than be with Chloe at a competition. Honestly, she was about ten seconds from screeching "There's no crying in competitive dance!" at Chloe, and the kid's, what, nine? Not surprisingly, the whole incident made Chloe wonder if she really wanted to dance all that much.

Abby also yapped at Brooke's mother, a former student, telling her that she may have a great guy and a great guy etc., but she needed to face it, she'd "settled," because she quit dance as a teenager and didn't go on to have a career as a dancer. Well, geez, most little girls, talented or not, who take dance don't end up with careers as dancers. Just because Brooke's mom didn't doesn't mean she settled--but the comment got to her, and she got pushier about insisting Brooke, who clearly is ready to quit dance too, compete, which is what Abby wanted. Meanwhile, Brooke is tired of being a thirteen year old around nine year olds, and she wants to be a cheerleader with her friends. Since her particular forte in dance is acrobatics, moving on to gymnastics or cheer might be perfectly normal progressions for her. I know she also says she wants to be in Cirque de Soleil, but how realistic a career goal is that for anyone? It's kind of like kids who want to be professional athletes. Not that many make it. Maybe Brooke, unlike her mother or teacher, is starting to recognize that and is starting to weigh whether she wants to sacrifice so much for dance when the likelihood of it being a career isn't that high. That's what kids her age begin to do--and I couldn't believe it when her mom said that she was thirteen and just growing up and Abby told her she had to nip that in the bud. How in the world do you keep someone from growing up?

I also noticed Abby said that she realized early on that her talents would better serve her "behind the scenes," so she started her own studio at fourteen. At fourteen? Could she have had enough students at fourteen to justify calling what she had a studio? And if she started her studio at fourteen, how much could she really know about making it as a professional dancer, which she goes on about constantly?

Abby's behavior does not scream good teacher or happy person, and I don't think it's just editing. For all her criticism of the mothers--even when they have valid points--she seems to be living through her students as much as some of them are living through their children.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I know she also says she wants to be in Cirque de Soleil, but how realistic a career goal is that for anyone?
    Particularly someone who is already having what I'd consider pretty serious shoulder issues when they're only 13.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Particularly someone who is already having what I'd consider pretty serious shoulder issues when they're only 13.

Not to mention complaining about hip issues too. Maybe leaving dance for cheerleading might actually be healthier for her.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Can't help but wonder when Brooke is going to have surgery on that shoulder. To my understanding, when a joint keeps popping out of place, it needs surgical reinforcement. "Something" is totally stretched out, and not holding. Poor baby!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread