+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

You're probably right mom2! Though I bet most of us (you included of course) would never become the freak of the week and embarrass our children, our parents, neighbors, co-workers and our friends to be on a Lifetime reality show. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    She has seen the show and is a regular at Abby 's studio ... She is playing the game to be noticed and the character given to her to be filmed.
    Last edited by jenniferboston1; 08-04-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

FORT Fogey

I'm just watching the most recent episode now. Did anyone else feel sorry for Gino when he kissed Maddie in rehearsal? According to Maddie, he likes her, although she doesn't like him, which is why she didn't want to kiss him. When he did kiss her, she made an awful face and fled the room, while the allegedly adult women in the room, including Abby, laughed. Now, I completely understand why Maddie, who's pretty young for a first kiss from a boy, and who rightfully pointed out that that's not the way anyone would want her first kiss to occur, ran from the room in embarrassment, but I'm not sure Gino did. He looked as if he felt like Maddie was announcing to everyone who could see the scene--which was quite a number of adults--that she would have preferred a frog kissing her to him kissing her. And then his oh-so-sensitive teacher just cackled at both of their reactions. Poor kid--he really didn't do anything wrong, nor did Maddie, and he and Maddie both got humiliated anyway.

I would say Maddie shouldn't have over-reacted like that, but I imagine in a few years, having to kiss a guy for whom she doesn't have romantic feelings as part of a dance number will be something she'll handle much better. It was just the situation and the surprise, and she got flustered and reacted like the eleven year old she is (I'm guestimating her age; I really don't know how old she is).
    mom2 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That kiss was adorable and embarrassing! It's nothing to make you jump off the side of a mountain. Precious! Some people would just prefer that you overreact. This country can be so stupid. What a wonderful memory.

My friends and I discussed it and found it touching.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-09-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I felt bad for Maddie. She's right: that's not the way to get your first kiss. Why is it stupid to hope for her that her first kiss isn't awkward and ordered by her barking dance teacher and then laughed at by a bunch of adults? Abby could have had him kiss her on the cheek and it would have been just as cute.

It's clear Maddie is 11. She would rather have gotten a kiss from (26-year old drug addict) Zac Efron? I hope she develops more appropriate taste as she gets older! Honestly, she could do a lot worse than Gino. He's a cutie pie.

I was surprised Abby didn't scream at Chloe for falling during the group routine....or maybe she did and I had the sound off. OR, maybe that's coming in next week's episode. She hardly misses a chance to berate that kid.

I don't know why TPTB insist on keeping Cathy on this show. I either change the channel or mute the sound as soon as she comes onscreen.
    mom2, crusin and jenniferboston1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It wasn't about a love affair or a rape. It was about an innocent moment.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I didn't even think of the alternative 'Critical'. A kiss on the cheek would've been adorable.

Rape? Why would that word even be mentioned here? Sorry, I still don't think her first kiss should have been dictated by someone else and then laughed at. Why shouldn't her first kiss be special and with a boy she likes? For an adult, it is just an innocent moment, but when you're 11, it's a BIG deal and it seemed to be a big deal for Maddie.
    mayamaisha and sclilred1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I felt for Gino because of the reactions of everyone there, he just stood there wondering what he did wrong, and because Maddie cannot lose it must have been His fault. Hoping he can catch a break sometime.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I figured Maddie ran more out of embarrassment more than anything else. She doesn't like Gino "like that," as she put it, and she suspects that he does. Nothing wrong with wanting your first kiss--or any kiss thereafter--to be about mutual affection and attraction. I also felt sorry for Gino to have a girl he might like react that way when he clearly wasn't expecting her too. And I felt bad for both of them that that particular moment had to happen in front of a whole bunch of adults, including her mother and his father, on the orders of their dance teacher, who then laughed at their mutual embarrassment. I mean, did any of us want an audience on the occasion of our first kiss? I can't imagine having my first kiss with parents watching. And to have people laugh at it...and have it seen on television by who knows how many other people? That's really not how anybody should have their first kiss.

I know some young actors, including Fred Savage on The Wonder Years, had their first kisses on screen, but at least then they were playing characters and people were associating the kiss with the characters and not with the actors themselves. Furthermore, no one stood there laughing at their reactions.

And yes, given Maddie and Gino's ages, Abby could have choreographed a kiss on the cheek or simply chosen different music. If Maddie's not ready to kiss a boy at ten, well, that wouldn't be an uncommon reaction. I suspect if she were a few years older and not, as her mother put it, shy around boys, she might react differently.
    combatcutie and Critical like this.

Of course, Jill had to shout out that Kendall would do the routine if Maddie wouldn't kiss Gino

+ Reply to Thread