+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I wish they'd do a "Where are they now" show on everyone in about 15 years. Moms, daughters, and Abby.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    I wish they'd do a "Where are they now" show on everyone in about 15 years. Moms, daughters, and Abby.
    Rate I see it is most of these mothers are going to be bitter or delusional, but in specifics Cathy will probably have her own studio again and it will crater because of the negative attention here. Holly will continue to be principal or she get moved up a bit higher because she is politer in her disagreements and does at least try to get her point across without yelling at Abby. Melissa hopefully will have a better job than working as secretary at the studio.

Abby... I will be shocked if she's even around in 15 years with how much she argues and fights with people. That said, if she is the studio will be long gone. I will be surprised if this studio lasts 5 years, let alone 15 with the damage being done on this show.

The kids? - Maddie I can see going far in dancing if she keeps it up and stays healthy (oh and most importantly has a couple of losses and takes them in stride, making her a stronger dancer).

Vivi I think will tell her mom "I don't want to do this" and if Cathy says otherwise, she'll throw a temper tantrum and at worse show mom what she looks like to Vivi and best get her way.

Chloe... wild card. I think her mom will finally let Chloe be herself and not try to dance just to beat a younger dancer.

Nia - well, if mom doesn't just have her go to another studio and dance for fun soon, I can see it happening a few years down the road. I think Nia WANTS to dance, but competitive dancing is not her forte.

I'd be shocked if Abby is around in 15 years because of her health. I can't believe that woman is only around 45! I find it strange that she's so out of shape and owns a dance studio. That, coupled with the way she handles stress makes her heart attack material, IMO. I think that, unless the economy picks up, she may lose the studio, but I don't see her going out of business because of her teaching methods.

I see Nia quitting dance and going the academic route like her parents have. Chloe may dance, but I don't see it as a career for her. Only Maddie has a real chance at making it in the business, IMO. Like you said, jadewarlock, that's barring injury, which has sidelined so many great dancers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can see Nia becoming a star cheerleader or dance team member!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    As someone who does photography for a living, I personally think that part of the reason the photos were bad was because CATHY was directing the shot. Some of the compositions that he created were actually quite good and fun, but the poses felt forced because Cathy wanted Vivi to pose in certain ways. If the photographer had guts he'd told the mom to step away, tell Vivi to have fun, maybe tell some jokes to get her to genuinely laugh and shoot while she's laughing or having fun. Those tend to be more natural, which is what we saw with the other headshots of the costume contest. (BTW, if I had a mother like Cathy do this, I would ask her politely to please stop first, explaining that I could get much better shots if Vivi wasn't being posed, and if she harped - most likely, I would be willing to not do the photoshoot and not take her money).

Then again - I think Vivi lost more because she was in costume instead of it being a normal headshot like we saw the other photos look like.
    I am also a photographer. I don't do portrait work because it bores me though so I'm not going to claim any sort of knowledge on that subject other than knowing composition, lighting, and technicality. I am a nature photographer and my photos are mostly in galleries and some magazines.

What I meant was that the photos he SUBMITTED weren't the best ones of what we saw. Yes, he was mad at Cathy but why tarnish your reputation like that? From Cathy's reaction, she thought he was going to submit the ones where she had stepped back and Vivi had started doing her own thing. I just found it odd he would go there, probably producer manipulation. Hope they paid him well for it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I don't know - there are many factors that can happen too with cameras on portraits that cause things like this. He got too close to her with a certain mm that caused it to soften like that and turn grainy. He shouldn't have had to go higher than a 400 ISO inside in that lighting, and even then it looked like he had studio lighting.

Then again given how ugly and absolutely arrogant and vile Cathy was last night, I can't say as I'm not surprised if there was manipulation. I don't think Vivi would've won regardless given she was shot in costume, but that was her mom's fault, not Vivi's.

Looks like we will see the end of Cathy and Vivi on the show - she was just not a game player and disrespectful to Abby. Yes, Abby does things that cost her that respect; however, Cathy should've called or at the least had VIVI get to her lessons if Cathy wanted to lounge about after hard time teaching. And yes the mom was right in regard to the two day wait for a missed flight - there are other ways to get there. It really is an excuse.

And if she's a teacher, why take her daughter to another school to learn? She could easily have another teacher in her school teach Vivi.

And yes, Cathy, YOU were exactly why that duet became a solo.

I also do not blame Brandon or his mom bailing when they finished with that supermodel dance. It wasn't that cute to begin with, I personally felt they lost because of lack of chemistry and that end stance of Brooke having her leg around Brandon.

That said, I feel for the girls because I"m sure Abby reamed them for not placing at all. Hey Abby get a clue - they are NOT always going to place or win. They need to lose in order to succeed, and expecting wins of first is just ridiculous. I mean, that comment about one gal's mom being happy with fourth but you're not is just... I mean, they're GIRLS who are growing up. You're setting them up for failure long term in life if you expect them to win all the time. It's why Maddie needs to lose - I think she'll become a stronger dancer then.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 09-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.

FORT Fogey

I just saw the most recent episode last night. I thought Abby's attitude about virtually everything was vile, and I respected Nia's mom for correcting her when she tried to say they'd had an "altercation" the week before, because it really wasn't that severe. They disagreed, but they didn't come to blows or even start shouting at one another. And Nia's solo this week was better because there was actually some dancing involved.

What really threw me for a loop was the surprise announcement that they'd be going to Las Vegas and L.A. and someplace else on the west coast too, if memory serves. Assuming they're going to all those places in a row, I'd guess it's like a west coast competition tour--and isn't the studio in Pittsburgh? You can't give kids and their families last minute notice on a lengthy trip like that. They have schools and jobs to consider, not to mention other family members and activities. Maybe it's not even financially feasible for some of those families to go. Isn't one of the girls' mother working for Abby as a secretary to help pay for lessons or am I misremembering that? I could see it if it were Philadelphia or maybe even NYC, but Abby seemed to think it was just a grand surprise for everyone to tell them they'd be going all the way across the country to compete on a moment's notice. Most people can't just rearrange their lives like that, and given the ages of some of those girls, maybe their parents wouldn't be comfortable sending them to compete without coming with them, especially since Abby's attitude is often none too good.

Didn't like the group number once again. So far, Abby has not struck me as the best choreographer. Yes, Maddy's routines generally look good, but she's very talented. The group numbers just aren't that great, and it doesn't surprise me that they're not winning as much as Abby would like them to--maybe she should start thinking about how she might be contributing to their losses instead of assuming it's all their fault or their mothers' fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I just saw the most recent episode last night. I thought Abby's attitude about virtually everything was vile, and I respected Nia's mom for correcting her when she tried to say they'd had an "altercation" the week before, because it really wasn't that severe. They disagreed, but they didn't come to blows or even start shouting at one another. And Nia's solo this week was better because there was actually some dancing involved.
    I do agree on Holly correcting Abby - becasue Holly, unlike the other women, actually DID try to talk to Abby in a respectful way worthy of a paying customer to a dance instructor. And it was obvious that Abby was punishing Nia for what Holly said by putting her at the bottom of that pyramid nonsense. As one of the moms said - if Abby has an issue with them, take it out on the moms, not the children.

I actually loved Nia's solo and that she won. While I hope that Holly's excitement wasn't fake or anything (though doubtful) I'm glad that Nia is finally getting some respect as a dancer.

What really threw me for a loop was the surprise announcement that they'd be going to Las Vegas and L.A. and someplace else on the west coast too, if memory serves. Assuming they're going to all those places in a row, I'd guess it's like a west coast competition tour--and isn't the studio in Pittsburgh? You can't give kids and their families last minute notice on a lengthy trip like that. They have schools and jobs to consider, not to mention other family members and activities. Maybe it's not even financially feasible for some of those families to go. Isn't one of the girls' mother working for Abby as a secretary to help pay for lessons or am I misremembering that? I could see it if it were Philadelphia or maybe even NYC, but Abby seemed to think it was just a grand surprise for everyone to tell them they'd be going all the way across the country to compete on a moment's notice. Most people can't just rearrange their lives like that, and given the ages of some of those girls, maybe their parents wouldn't be comfortable sending them to compete without coming with them, especially since Abby's attitude is often none too good.
    Depending on when this was filmed and if some schools have year round school, it is possible this was filmed during school break. That or the children actually get taught by a teacher hired by the production (similar to child actors).

And, production of course has a budget that would probably allow for this cross-country travel for of course ratings and the like.

This part is sincerely simply because of the show - IRL it wouldn't happen in as much as what we see with Kate and the children's trips everywhere on her show.

Didn't like the group number once again. So far, Abby has not struck me as the best choreographer. Yes, Maddy's routines generally look good, but she's very talented. The group numbers just aren't that great, and it doesn't surprise me that they're not winning as much as Abby would like them to--maybe she should start thinking about how she might be contributing to their losses instead of assuming it's all their fault or their mothers' fault.
    I found it VERY telling when they didn't show footage of Abby talking to the girls after the "Snapshot" routine. I have a feeling it was very bad and possibly disturbing. I mean, it even said alot when Brandon and his mom left.

And no, Abby is not a strong choreographer. I did totally freestyle entries in dance contests for speech tournaments and did better (Then again - I didn't take a lick of solo dancing and all three cases, I placed at least top 10 out of 20 acts. Best was a fifth place out of 12).

This Snapshot one had potential, but Abby was setting it up for failure when she brought back a dancer who had a crush on one of the dancers (Brooke). It honestly was more her fault there than anyone.

I think that the grind of one routine per week is just wearing on these LITTLE girls. It's too much to expect them to be able to keep up with that pace. For crying out loud, the dancers on SYTYCD have trouble keeping up and they're almost all ten years older than the girls on this show.

I think this week's group routine had potential, but they need A LOT of rehearsal to get the problems worked out.

I had to laugh at 13 year old Brooke when she said, very seriously about not feeling the same way about Brandon, "I'm not the same person I was at 9."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am always amazed and shocked when people at around ages 9 or 10 classify themselves as "dating". That is obscene.

I remember asking a friend of my son's, around that age, what he was talking about when he said he was "going out" with some girl; he said, "Well, we go outside together," in a "'please be convinced' tone'". I just looked at him and shook my head and let it drop; later, I laughed.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread