+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 114 FirstFirst ... 95999100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1134
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I think that in a couple of years Melissa is going to regret how she is parenting these girls. Eventually, I can see Maddie rebelling against the all dance all the time childhood. I could be wrong, but I just don't think all these choices are really Maddie's to make.
    sclilred1, Kiz and StaticFlow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I thought there were just the two Maddie faces--the "beautiful" one and the "tortured by sadness one." I try to cut the girls some slack when it comes to the faces they make on stage, because we're seeing them in close-up a lot of the time, and they're dancing on stage--the audience and the judges are further away from them than we are, so the expressions have to be bigger for the audience/judge to see them. It's the same thing with ice dance--it can look over the top to the viewers at home, but they have the advantage (or disadvantage, depending on your point of view) of seeing the faces in close-up as opposed to the audience in the stands, some of whom are quite far away in the nosebleed seats.

However, it is hard to tell what Maddie is actually feeling, because she's been programmed, since she was quite young apparently, to do those faces. Maddie also strikes me as a people pleaser type, who really wants to make Abby happy, so she does as told. Mackenzie seems to have a bit more, for lack of a better word, spunk, and as she gets older, both Abby and her mother may have increasing trouble trying to convince her that she has to "be" Maddie as opposed to herself. Or perhaps that's just what I hope happens, because if nobody else is going to stick up for Mackenzie, Mackenzie may have to do so for herself.

I generally don't think it's a great idea for people to parent other people's kids, unless there's situation where it's necessary(e.g. the child is about to do something dangerous and someone steps in to stop that from happening--for instance, if a neighbor grabs a four year old to keep her from running into traffic, because the neighbor is close enough to do that and the parent isn't, I don't think the parent is going to mind). But despite all Christy's faults, I did appreciate her reminding Mackenzie that all she's responsible for being is the best Mackenzie she can be.

Incidentally, if Mackenzie continues to come in second to Maddie while doing Maddie's recycled routines and recycled expressions and while wearing Maddie's recycled costumes, that's going to be a great way to make her feel like she's just a "second best" Maddie. I wonder what would happen if Mackenzie were given her own routine etc. and she actually beat Maddie at a competition. Would Abby and Melissa congratulate her or just rush to comfort Maddie?
    After seeing the way that Abby is with Mackenzie, I don't think she would truly be happy for Mackenzie if she beat Maddie. I enjoy watching Mackenzie dance, but I didn't like this last routine that she did (the recycled Maddie one). Mackenzie is still young and it makes no sense IMO for Abby and Melissa to be pushing her to dance "older" or to look "older". I hated when that other child (can't remember her name but she was the same age as Mackenzie) danced like a 16 year old. Let them be kids while they are young. There is plenty of time in the future to do the more mature dances, if they decide to continue dancing that long.

I hated the fact that Melissa admitted that she would not stand up to Abby. Not even for her own children. If this continues, Maddie and Mackenzie will not only grow to resent Abby, they will also resent Melissa.
    GabbyG and StaticFlow like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    After seeing the way that Abby is with Mackenzie, I don't think she would truly be happy for Mackenzie if she beat Maddie. I enjoy watching Mackenzie dance, but I didn't like this last routine that she did (the recycled Maddie one). Mackenzie is still young and it makes no sense IMO for Abby and Melissa to be pushing her to dance "older" or to look "older". I hated when that other child (can't remember her name but she was the same age as Mackenzie) danced like a 16 year old. Let them be kids while they are young. There is plenty of time in the future to do the more mature dances, if they decide to continue dancing that long.

I hated the fact that Melissa admitted that she would not stand up to Abby. Not even for her own children. If this continues, Maddie and Mackenzie will not only grow to resent Abby, they will also resent Melissa.
    I think they wanted a slightly more sophisticated routine for Mackenzie because they were moving her up to the nine to twelve year old group, where she'd be competing with the older girls and where her "cute" programs might not cut it any more. I don't mind that Abby thought it was time for her to do a lyrical routine, as long as it was age-appropriate. I just think it should have been a routine of her own, not one Maddie had already done with the exact same music, choreography, and costume.

The little girl whose name you can't remember is Asia, and I, too, was bothered by the more mature routines Abby gave her, plus I think Abby liked her more for her "faces" than for her dancing. Abby seems to be fixated on little girl dynamos she can "mold." In fact, sometimes I wonder if part of the reason she remains so fascinated with Maddie is that she continues to look a bit younger than the other girls, simply because she's more naturally petite than, say, Chloe or Nia, not to mention the fact that Maddie seems to live to please her, which I don't think is especially healthy for either one of them.

Melissa's kids may end up resenting Abby, Melissa, and each other if they're not given the opportunity to be the people they are, instead of carbon copies of each other. it particularly bugs me that Mackenzie seems to be required to do whatever Maddie wants to do--Maddie wanted to do home-schooling so she could dance more, but if I remember correctly, Mackenzie kind of wanted to stay in school with her friends. That's an utterly natural response for a child, yet she had to be home-schooled so she could spend more time at the studio too. Why? How come she can't decide that there are things she'd rather do than dance or things that she'd like to do in addition to dancing? Heck, it might be a heck of a lot more healthy for Mackenzie to be involved in another activity that Maddie is not involved in at all, so that she's Mackenzie, not Maddie's little sister. Sometimes I wonder if Mackenzie was even asked if she wanted to be a dancer or if she was just put in dance class because Maddie was already there. Really, Melissa runs that whole family as if Maddie is the sun around which all of the rest of them must rotate, and Abby runs her studio (or at least her dance team) the same way. Understand that I'm not blaming Maddie for that--I completely blame Melissa, even more than Abby, since she's the one who's the parent and should be watching out for her kids--but it sets up a bad pattern for the family and Maddie herself. What's going to happen when, one day, she's suddenly not the center of attention? Eventually, no matter how talented she is, that's going to happen.
    mom2, GabbyG, sclilred1 and 1 others like this.

I hate to admit this but I just had a dream about Abby. Summary: I was one of 3 girls - high school age, which proves it was a dream!- who were supposed to play clowns in the first act of her musical/play. The other 2 got together and had their costumes professionally made and had make up. I had nothing so I left to get something and was too late getting back and missed my part completely. I spent the greater part of the dream searching through the auditorium/stadium to find Abby and explain my dilemma/beg for forgiveness. I woke up thinking "What the????" !!! Lol

I feel for all these kids who deal with her in real life! Lol!
    sclilred1 and StaticFlow like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I think I'd have to give up sleeping.
    mom2, sclilred1, Photobabe and 1 others like this.

Did anyone else hear in a preview for the last episode that Christy was going to decide or debate about homeschooling Chloe? But yet then in the episode, that was NEVER brought up. IMO it serves no purpose for the girls, any of them, to be homeschooled. This belief that dance is more important than school is not helping the girls. What happens if they can't make it in the dance world? They have nothing to fall back on then.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    Did anyone else hear in a preview for the last episode that Christy was going to decide or debate about homeschooling Chloe? But yet then in the episode, that was NEVER brought up. IMO it serves no purpose for the girls, any of them, to be homeschooled. This belief that dance is more important than school is not helping the girls. What happens if they can't make it in the dance world? They have nothing to fall back on then.
    Please don't confuse Home School with No School. For some kids and their parents, home schooling is a great choice. It's not for all, but many do it very successfully. I know several people who were home schooled and were admitted to, and graduated from, prestigious universities. Whether or not Melissa would be a good home school teacher is debatable, but there's no reason for her not to try, if after getting all the fact she feels she could do a good job of it.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I watched a documentary last night on Netflix called First Position. The ALDC would never be able to compete against any of those talented ladies & guys. I believe Adam from Ballet West of Breaking Pointe was one of the judges.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Please don't confuse Home School with No School. For some kids and their parents, home schooling is a great choice. It's not for all, but many do it very successfully. I know several people who were home schooled and were admitted to, and graduated from, prestigious universities. Whether or not Melissa would be a good home school teacher is debatable, but there's no reason for her not to try, if after getting all the fact she feels she could do a good job of it.
    I might be misremembering this, but I thought there was a scene where another woman was just leaving Melissa's home after working with the girls, so it could be she has someone else, other than herself, helping with their home schooling. I agree that for some kids and parents home schooling can be a good choice, but for others, it can be a disaster, because the kids and the parents can't deal with the two relationship--parent/child and teacher/student--well, for a variety of reasons.

In Melissa's case, my problem with it is that she appears to be doing it just to save time, so that Maddie can spend even more time at Abby's studio, which does not seem to be a healthy environment for any of those girls. It gives me, as Huck Finn would say, the fantods that the only two teachers in Maddie and Mackenzie's lives might be Melissa and Abby (and possibly that other woman I seem to remember). And Melissa merely does whatever Abby tells her to do, so it's really like Abby is the only adult authority they have--and she is not a terrific example of adult behavior. Beyond that, Mackenzie seems to be being home-schooled merely because Maddie wanted to be home-schooled so she could dance more. Mackenzie even said she thought she'd miss being in school.

I don't like Abby forcing a singing career on Mackenzie either, since while she has a passable voice for a little girl, it's nothing out of the ordinary--and Abby made it clear that she was pushing the music to try and show up Brooke, even though Brooke's no longer at the studio. It drives me nuts the way Abby uses a bunch of little girls as part of her own personal agenda. Even with Brooke, her beef isn't so much with Brooke as with Kelly. It's just that Abby feels making Brooke (or Paige) look bad would hurt Kelly.

In a long past episode, Abby let Maddie do make-up for the girls, because she was really interested in it, and for a young girl, she actually did a reasonably good job at the stage make-up and seemed to enjoy doing it. If she likes doing things like make-up and/or costuming, why not let her get involved in the technical aspects of dance/theatre? Or doesn't that suit Abby because it doesn't involve any spotlight into which Abby can push herself?
    Photobabe likes this.

Tilden, I remember that episode that showed the teacher for the girls. Melissa has stated before that they spend a lot more time at the studio than they do on schoolwork. I believe that it was Mackenzie that did the girls makeup and not Maddie. And of course Abby made a comment about Mackenzie had better do a good job with it. If the girls spend as little time with their schoolwork as Melissa has made it sound like they do, then the girls really have very little time for any socializing with other homeschooled children. It's a shame that dance is the top priority in their lives while it appears that school is rather low on the list.

+ Reply to Thread