+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 122 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1212
Like Tree820Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

I think she meant "dance circles around Chloe", although at the last competition they did say 1st and 2nd were very close. That's not "dancing circles -or graveyards!-" around anyone.
    sclilred1 and Kiz like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Kiz

Abby has flipped what ever was left of her lid. So Chloe and the new girl let her down in the improv dance off, but not a word to Maddie who didn't even make it to the final round. Of course, it could be and edit, but then we could go back to all the other praise Abby heaps on Maddie while heaping criticisms on the other girls.

I don't particularly like Christie, but I loved it when she puffed in Abby's face when Abby was purposely baiting her, even bringing up her mother.
    sclilred1 and StaticFlow like this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Has it seemed to anyone else that the recent editing is showing negative Abbie and positive moms?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    Abby has flipped what ever was left of her lid. So Chloe and the new girl let her down in the improv dance off, but not a word to Maddie who didn't even make it to the final round. Of course, it could be and edit, but then we could go back to all the other praise Abby heaps on Maddie while heaping criticisms on the other girls.

I don't particularly like Christie, but I loved it when she puffed in Abby's face when Abby was purposely baiting her, even bringing up her mother.
    Yeah, the tackiness is ridiculous. I couldn't believe that Abby drug the woman's mother into the argument. What was the point of that? What is Abby......12????
    GabbyG, sclilred1 and Kiz like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    Has it seemed to anyone else that the recent editing is showing negative Abbie and positive moms?
    I've been thinking about your question, Gabby, and I don't think much has changed with the moms. They have their ups and downs as always.

Downs --- Christy taking a dig on air about Melissa's affairs. Whether it's true or not, it's below the belt, primarily because Melissa's girls and their friends are probably watching the show. Also, the digs at Abby's weight in front of the girls is wrong for so many reasons. One being that girls, and especially girls who participate in an activity where every pound is measured, have a increased risk of stress eating/dieting. And two, it's setting an example for the girls to ridicule others for their appearance.
    Ups --- Holly's book and the moms' collective support of the girls when attacked from an outsider.

On the other hand, Abby was either getting a very good edit in the past, which isn't saying much, as I never liked her tactics. But, at times, even when her presentation was unnecessarily harsh, she was given a side interview where she was able to explain her motives. And there were times when we saw what seemed to be genuine affection between Abby and the girls. Now, she's just plain nasty to moms, but they're all adults on a reality show, and unless they've been living under a rock, this can't come as a surprise. Too many of these shows rely on confrontation for ratings. Worse is her horrible treatment of the girls which has been escalating this season to the point that it has crossed the line to emotional abuse. The girls seem to have sensitive natures and people pleasers, which makes Abby's treatment just that much more troubling.
    mom2 and GabbyG like this.

I hate to see the girls being people pleasers but, I guess, to a certain extent that kind of behavior is necessary in certain activities. I hate to see them getting into that type of mentality. It can allow too much mind control. I guess I've never been one for group mind games.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I hate to see the girls being people pleasers but, I guess, to a certain extent that kind of behavior is necessary in certain activities. I hate to see them getting into that type of mentality. It can allow too much mind control. I guess I've never been one for group mind games.
    It sure can allow for manipulation, and thinking about that trait, I suppose being a people pleaser can be on a spectrum from often being a little too eager to please (which I identify with, but I have toughened up as I have gotten older ), to being outright controlled.

It's like the perfect storm with Abby and these girls. From only what I've seen of them in this highly manipulated/edited show, they seem to be nice girls seek Abby's approval when many kids would have rebelled. They have the added stress of contracts, tv appearances, adoring fans, being ridiculed, having stalkers, becoming cash cows for their families, etc. Ten years from now, many of these reality tv kids are going to be on the talk show circuit as were the kids from the early tv series before laws were put into place that somewhat protect them.

My mother always knew that I was not one of those kids who was going to kiss anybody's #@*# to get along with them.

I am still the same story many, many years later.
    sclilred1 likes this.

The children of a friend of mine are in a dance competition this weekend and the company live streams the whole thing from their FB. I've been sitting here on and off for the last two days watching her kids and others perform. After a few hours of it, I called my mom and thanked her for ALL of the hours she sat watching amateur competitions and recitals! O.M.G. PAINFUL. Bad technique, sloppy arms, toes not pointed.....and that's just the beginning. B-A-D choreography. Sorry, but I just can't bear suburban white kids dancing hip hop. It's just embarrassing. BTW - I'm not specifically talking about my friend's kids here. They're pretty good.

I haven't been to one of these events since I competed in them and I never saw much, since I was dancing. I honestly don't think the ones I did were this bad, since most of the events I competed in were in LA or Vegas. Just a better pool of talent to drawn from.

Anyway, these kids made Abby's girls look like freaking professionals. Only a few girls were very good. The rest were just "meh" or worse. As much as I hate Abby's methods, she does give those kids good technique. Without that, nothing else matters for a dancer.

ETA: So, I'm still sitting here watching this dance competition waiting for my friend's kids to perform again and I think I saw one of the girls who auditioned for Abby at one of her "I'm replacing you all" auditions. This was the girl with the crimped wedge haircut and glasses. The whose mother Abby spoke with to tell her that style was going to hinder her daughter. She still has that same haircut and the glasses. I'm almost positive it was her. She's very good.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-08-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

I hate to admit this, but I've had too much of "perfect" Maddie (on the show...I can still separate reality from tv-reality..). I feel bad since she's just a little girl, but between Abby's constant refrain of throwing Maddie's talents in the other girls' faces and Melissa's constant refrain of putting her girls first, I have Maddie fatigue. I'd love to tell Melissa that sometimes putting your child first is letting them take a few lumps along the way as well as teaching them not take advantage/lie to further themselves.
    mom2, GabbyG, sclilred1 and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread