+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 116 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1152
Like Tree757Likes

Thread: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Re: Dance Moms on Lifetime

Remember the old saying "she killed the goose that laid the golden egg"? I think Abby may be doing just that.
    GabbyG, sclilred1, Kiz and 1 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    5th grade teacher weighing in here: both adults were at fault. Abby was just as threatening with her finger in Kelly's face and insane biting motions. Kelly responded by physical touch and is also at fault. For a 40ish year old adult to then call the police afterward is childish and overly dramatic. Here's hoping the judge in this case watches this episode and reprimands Both of them for being outrageous. Neither one is an innocent victim.
    I would agree with this. No, Kelly should not have responded as she did, but neither should Abby have behaved in such an immature way that was obviously meant to provoke her. Calling the cops was a bit over the top as well, particularly since the other adults in the room seemed reluctant to take any strong stands about what happened, and Abby was saying everything happened so quickly that she wasn't exactly sure how it went down. Without any obvious signs of real injury--there seemed to be no bruises etc.--and no one exactly jumping up to confirm Abby's story--and with Abby herself not being terribly firm on the details....I just don't see a strong legal case being made, and I suspect the cops would try to get them to settle without taking it any further.

Kudos to Holly, by the way, for doing her best to get the kids out of there ASAP and keep the situation from getting even worse than it was. I wish she and Nia would just get out of their contract and find a better place for Nia to study dance... and perhaps music and acting, if she has any abilities in those areas, since she seems to enjoy the performance aspect of dancing the most.
    mom2 and Kiz like this.

FORT Fogey

I meant to add that I don't buy that Abby truly loves teaching, or she wouldn't be willing to abuse her young students verbally and emotionally just for the sake of "good TV." Maybe she enjoyed teaching once, but now she appears to enjoy fame a great deal more. Even when her girls do well, her attitude is more that they need to do that to establish her reputation rather than to feel any sense of their own accomplishment. She also constantly favors Maddie and makes sure everyone else knows it, which isn't good for Maddie or the other girls, particularly as it's now started to strain relationships between them, and even when the adults around them were behaving childishly, the girls had managed to treat each other decently. I worry what may happen to Maddie someday if she runs up against someone as talented as she is and that person becomes Abby's new favorite. I worry about what will happen to the rest of them, constantly being made to feel inferior as opposed to being able to look at their own improvements as accomplishments too, even if they never become great dancers. Perhaps, despite Abby's seeming insistence that dance should be the sole focus of their lives, some of them are not even assuming that they will but have other ambitions as well.

I don't know if anyone else has caught Kim of Queens, but while I'm not exactly a fan of child beauty pageants (and to be fair, she doesn't work with anyone younger than, say, twelve--it's not Toddlers and Tiaras) and while Kim can be loud and obnoxious too, she does actually place some value on what the girls she's training are learning in the process and points out to them when they've achieved things they didn't think they could, even if they didn't win. For instance, in one episode, one of her girls who had repeatedly frozen on stage whenever she made a mistake did so again, when reciting her explanation of who she was, but then took a deep breath and said something to the effect that one thing she wasn't was a quitter, so she was going to start over and get it right this time. The audience cheered her on, and she got through her speech on her second try. When she won only what was basically a title given to anyone who didn't place, she was upset and Kim took her aside and told her that it wasn't about that, that it was about her getting past her fear of making a mistake and going on, instead of giving into her panic--that that was a much bigger win than any crown. And she really seemed to mean it, and the girl did seem to feel better. When I saw that, all I could think of was how Abby endlessly shames anyone who makes a mistake--or just doesn't happen to win on a particular day--as opposed to setting them down and talking to them about what they did right and wrong and how they can capitalize on the former and try to cut down on the latter.

I have no problem with teachers being strict or demanding the best effort their students can put forward. I do have a big problem with teachers who intimidate and humiliate in the name of success.
    mom2, GabbyG, sclilred1 and 5 others like this.

What a great post, Tilden.

This season Abby seems to be belittling the girls even more than she has in the past. Maybe the stress of a dying mother and the death of her dog have ripped away what ever decency she had in her. I know what Kelly did was wrong but I think Abby pushed her over the edge. Everyone has a breaking point. I think Kelly had reached hers. Abby calling the police was just awful. And her gloating over Kelly's arrest was beyond disgusting.
    GabbyG, sclilred1 and Kiz like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    What a great post, Tilden.

This season Abby seems to be belittling the girls even more than she has in the past. Maybe the stress of a dying mother and the death of her dog have ripped away what ever decency she had in her. I know what Kelly did was wrong but I think Abby pushed her over the edge. Everyone has a breaking point. I think Kelly had reached hers. Abby calling the police was just awful. And her gloating over Kelly's arrest was beyond disgusting.
    Could be menopause too. I can see Nia & Chloe being gone next season. I would be curious to see how Melissa will take it if the new girl takes over Maddie's #1 spot.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I would agree with this. No, Kelly should not have responded as she did, but neither should Abby have behaved in such an immature way that was obviously meant to provoke her. Calling the cops was a bit over the top as well, particularly since the other adults in the room seemed reluctant to take any strong stands about what happened, and Abby was saying everything happened so quickly that she wasn't exactly sure how it went down. Without any obvious signs of real injury--there seemed to be no bruises etc.--and no one exactly jumping up to confirm Abby's story--and with Abby herself not being terribly firm on the details....I just don't see a strong legal case being made, and I suspect the cops would try to get them to settle without taking it any further.

Kudos to Holly, by the way, for doing her best to get the kids out of there ASAP and keep the situation from getting even worse than it was. I wish she and Nia would just get out of their contract and find a better place for Nia to study dance... and perhaps music and acting, if she has any abilities in those areas, since she seems to enjoy the performance aspect of dancing the most.
    It is absolutely stupid for Abby to try and claim something that isn't true when it comes to the "fight" between herself and Kelly. Did she forget that a camera was there and recorded the whole thing? Perhaps Abby feels that the producers will back her up or something. Unfortunately for Abby, the producers and the production company don't care enough about her or anyone else on the show to really give a d@mn. Unless of course it affects their bottom line and the money that make. With Kelly filing a lawsuit against the production company and Abby, Abby is going to be on her own. I expect that if Kelly wins this lawsuit that Dance Moms will go off the air.

Tilden, I have avoided watching Kim of Queens because I thought she was going to be like Abby. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    Tilden, I have avoided watching Kim of Queens because I thought she was going to be like Abby. I'll have to check it out.
    I too thought that Kim was going to be like Abby since that was how the commercial for her show was done. They made it sound like Kim was going to be the Abby of the pagent world. I watched it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised! Unfortunately there was not a new episode this week, however, they did show the past two episodes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    I too thought that Kim was going to be like Abby since that was how the commercial for her show was done. They made it sound like Kim was going to be the Abby of the pagent world. I watched it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised! Unfortunately there was not a new episode this week, however, they did show the past two episodes.
    A lot of shows on a lot of networks seem to be delaying new episodes. I assumed it might be because of the Olympics and they didn't want to try and compete with NBC and NBC-related cable networks showing that. Or maybe they only did a limited run of Kim of Queens episodes to see how the show did before ordering a bunch of them.

Now that I think of it, it's a little odd that they did go right on showing Dance Moms episodes, including the last one (which I saw a short bit of during its later showing--just happened to be the part with the fight). Maybe Lifetime is getting a little uneasy with the show and would prefer that people miss that episode, or they were assuming that, given how often they show each episode, people could pick up whatever they missed later.
    sclilred1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Could be menopause too. I can see Nia & Chloe being gone next season. I would be curious to see how Melissa will take it if the new girl takes over Maddie's #1 spot.
    To be fair, lots of women go through menopause without losing it like Abby did prior to that fight--and she's been argumentative and strident and disrespectful of her students for quite a while. If her menopause symptoms are that bad, she needs to get to a a doctor who could help her deal with it.

Certainly the death of the two members of her family--her dog and her mother--could upset her greatly, and I might buy that as being a cause of temporary poor behavior, but again, she's been acting like this for a while now, long before her mother or dog appeared to be seriously ill. However, if the deaths are causing her behavior to fall apart to an even greater degree, then again, she needs to seek some professional help in dealing with her grief, before she gets into even worse trouble than she's already in--as I suspect we are not the only viewers who are getting turned off by the direction of the show, which, I assume, is important to Abby (the show, I mean, not the viewers, whom she does not know and about whom she likely does not care, except insofar as they help provide her with notoriety and a living).
    GabbyG, sclilred1 and mesachick like this.

+ Reply to Thread