+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Platinum Hit

Re: Platinum Hit

I am SO glad Sonyae won. She has gotten better and better each week and I really like her personality too. Maybe she can pick up playing an instrument. Even if you can't play an instrument, usually you can probably "play" enough of it just to get section recorded even if you can't do it live. I really wish I had hte money for an MIDI keyboard though so I could play

Final episode I did not like at all though. Jess's melody was too commercial, Scotty, well I've never been a fan of his voice so I can't stomach to listen to him (it's just too high for a male voice), and Love You Like My Religion, I don't think that is that unique at all. I have heard things "like religion" before. What I really did not like about the final episode though is this incessent, "it must be marketable to many people!" attitude, like only simpletons listen to pop music and if it's long or wordy, then we all stick our thumbs in our mouth and go say, "Derp!" in confusion. Pop music doesn't have to be idiot music! We like complexitity... I found it so funny that one of the guest judges had Katy Perry's California Gurls on her resume lol (West Coast represent / Now put your hands up / Ooooh ohhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhh) - as if somebody who created that should be judging serious lyrics.

And I also want to say **** everybody responsible for changes in the finished recordings. I know I mentioned it once before but I have to call them out on this again. Has anybody else actually listened to the finished songs from the show!? They are just horrible. They ruin anything good heard on the show and many don't even make sense. "The Last Candle"'s backing track was called Hannah Montana so what do they do? Remove the distorted guitar COMPLTELY and stick in thumping bass instead, which makes it sound even lighter than before, and still very HM! On "Reign", the vocals were done WAY too soft, also the driving feel of the track was changed to trancey "floating" quality, AND they removed the lines that Nick said, so that "kiss the flame" is no longer uttered in the entire song (does it even fit the challenge now!?). Reign has no punch or impact, it's boring. In the episode after, "Exit" sounds COMPLETELY different... track has annoying bleep melody inserted and they removed the final build up we saw on TV. Again, boring song that I will not listen to now.

I wouldn't for pay for the majority of Platinum Hit recordings after hearing them. Some are ok, but I don't think anything is truely unchanged. And they are another example of the loudness war, having no hifi qualities at all.
    Last edited by Endit; 08-06-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Out of the three who were left, I was rooting for Scotty (and I was bummed that they sent him off-stage first). But I was glad that his father and his boyfriend sat together during the final performance.

I'm OK with Sonyae winning (it wasn't Jes!), but it seems weird that she hasn't picked up even a little piano over the years.

FORT Fogey

I really hated the judges' attitude that everything has to be generalized in order for an audience to relate to it. Look, plenty of people have written songs or stories about incidents specific to themselves, with specific references, in which others could still find universal truths. On the other hand, overly generalized lyrics tend to sound generic and soulless, as if there's no one particularly behind them.

I love music, but I'm not overly interested in seeing a second season of this show, because I don't think the format works particularly well. Not everyone writes well with partners. Some people can't write without them. I'd rather just see a show where people came in as single songwriters or already established teams of collaborators and let them compete against each other.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that Sonjae couldn't learn an instrument, just that it might be in her best interest to consider learning one, simply because it would be helpful to her as a songwriter, as it would make her less dependent on collaboration with instrumentalists, at least in the beginning stages of putting a song together.

UPDATE: The original LIVE performances have been officially posted too! Haven't heard yet but I am praying they haven't been changed and are of good sound quality.

Nope, the live versions are nothing special either. Should have known. I thought they would use the original track mixed in with the live mic and clean that up (no structural changes!), but no. It sounds "live" and is of no better quality than TV.

Will there be a Platinum Hit II? I hope so!

Five Ways to Improve Platinum Hit - Blogcritics Video

I like the suggestion of having a guest singer/s (like perhaps former American Idol contestants/castoffs) to sing the songwriters' songs. The show has great potential if they can tweak it a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345