+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Platinum Hit

Re: Platinum Hit

I forget to watch it when it's on, and it's not on Hulu or Bravo. I missed episode 1, caught episode 2, and hope to remember to watch episode 3 tomorrow afternoon.

FORT Newbie

I'm kinda iffy about the show only because they don't seem to much like the people I love best - Brian, Nick & Scotty. (I really like Johnny too but I'm annoyed already with this Jess thing. Such a horrible idea!) So I do really like some of the artists, but I worry they won't last long because it seems like Kara & Jewel are only interested in cranking out the next top 40 song & I'm more interested in the singer/songwriter aspect. But if nothing else, it's a good way to spot musicians I wanna watch for (which happens a lot on these shows for me).

I absolutely love Brian. I'm really interested in the hooks that he's come up with so far. And I love his voice. I've been searching out some of his pre-PH stuff & he is right up my alley.

I do love Nick. I know people aren't gonna like him because he's the douchebag saying what everyone else is thinking & saying behind people's backs and that guy never gets the popular vote. But the hooks he's written are great. I love the suggestions he's made in every collaboration & the stuff he writes reminds me of some of my fave bands. So even if he doesn't do well, I'll be keeping an eye on him in the future.

I think it's a shame that Karen went home because she's the only girl that I really like much... I can't stand Sonyae. Would have very little interest in anything she'd make musically. Jackie I find grating. Her voice, her personality..

Just FYI...Bravo has now added Platinum Hit to FIOS On Demand. (Yay!) I checked again today just in case, and there it was :-)

I caught a half and a full rerun on Bravo early this morning and while I didn't think I would watch another music competition this summer, this one did catch my eye. It's going on my DVR list. Wow, next week my Mondays will be too full and I'll probably have to kick it off, but I'll look for it on TWC On Demand and maybe I can watch it that way.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Not a huge fan of Jackie; she constantly annoys me with the songs she puts together, though I think it has to do with her voice. Scotty is starting to grow on me; I don't necessarily like what he writes, but as a character, he really entertains me.

Looks like Nick is starting to move to the middle of the pack. Also feel like Jackie should have went home, because, while her track was funny, it was more in the cover-my-face vein, and not really legitimately funny. Also amused me that Sonyae talks about growing up around rap, but can't even fit multisyllabic rhymes into her verse, whereas Johnny's verse had some very interesting rhyme schemes.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Episode 4- Ugh. My hate for Nick ever grows. He complains about others being chosen for hooks that he thinks are bad or the person who wrote them doesn't have real talent, but he wants lesser people to stay, regardless if they have talent because they are nice to him. I live for his reaction whenever the judges have a differing opinion. They do for a reason! They don't just say "It was better!" they say why too. The thing he is good at is that Stephen Spielberg thing... the "magic" or "moment". His hooks all sound very poppy and easy to digest, just have a very "it" quality. But he seems to think that's the only element needed or that it somehow is better than other things.

Sonyae ****ing killed it! Period! That is the best song of the entire competition so far IMO. I know the other one won, but I really did not like Walk Through Walls. Probably the vocals and the performance. It was more unique and had more atmosphere, I just hated the actual performance. I can see it's potential though.

Beyond predictable on who was going home. I was waiting for her to speak up and say "Yeah, I may have wrote the lyrics, but I didn't shove them down anybody's throat. They both agreed on them, there was no dispute. How can I know my lyrics are bad if there is no debate if the team really wants to do well? If I hadn't written these, we might have nothing." but it never came.
    Last edited by Endit; 06-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    Really? That is so cool! Do you live in Canada? I live in California but my sister and I drove to Canda a few years ago to see Hedley and it was one of the best summers ever.

I see the similarities more in their voices and singing styles. Nick doesn't have even half of the charisma or stage presence that Jacob does imo.
    Yes, I am Canadian. Jacob was my favourite favourite ever on C.I. I don't know if you can catch past episodes of it on Youtube or what but it was great to watch. He spent most of the time thumbing his nose at the judges and just doing his thing. He was awesome.
    I haven't noticed the similarity in their voices and singing style (I also haven't watched that much)... but I'll be sure to look closer next time.

Anybody listen to the finished songs you can buy? I have a love/hate relationship with them. Some sound good, but others are MORE tweaked than the show, and not in a good way. This is a big problem with Sonyae IMO... Miss Make The Boyz Cry sounds COMPLETELY different than the show. Her vocals aren't raw, they are now too soft and lack punch, the arrangement seems slightly different, and the chorus is changed AGAIN, so "I'm" is emphasized which just sounds bad and changes the entire sound. I hate it. I've noticed this happened on "Love it Or Hate It" and it's getting quite annoying.

Sonyae won the Hook so got to choose her entire team and also the team for the other two winners Nick and Jes. Sonyae also won the challenge and has immunity next week. Nick's team came in second and Jes's team, who only had Melissa helping her, was up for elimination. The song was not good, but Jes was also sick...no excuse of course as a writer, but Melissa did not even attempt to pick up the slack and as usual contributed nothing, absolutely nothing. Fortunately the judges saw through Melissa - who has been sliding under the radar and riding coattails since day one - and after getting angry at questions and criticisms from the judges, and then her mouthing off to the judges, she went home.....she should have gone a long time ago so was really glad she was finally exposed.

Sonyae was told by judges that her song title was the most original of the season - "Love Me to Life".

I was laughing when Melissa said to Scotty, "I contributed to Jes just like I did when we collaborated." I was waiting for him to say something, like "Oh, as in nothing?" ;-)

I have no idea if Melissa is a good songwriter or not. I think she's only come up with 2 or 3 things so far (as compared to entire songs/lyrics/melodies by everyone else).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast